OMG! I'd give anything to be back in 1st grade!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by skittleroo, Aug 24, 2009.

1. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2009

today was my first day in kinder. The kids really were not bad. I have a couple boys who are definitely overactive, but.......

problems is they KNOW NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm usually so good with routines, procedures, etc. But I felt like I taught nothing all day except ro today. utines and procedures. I don't want the kids to hate kinder. And I know its good that I taught them some procedures, but ,...... my new district is really very stringent with being on topic, reciting student expectations, and generally making sure kids know purpose of everything they do at ALL times.

I did good just to keep things going today. Things have got to get better.

how can I keep them from calling out? One starts calling out and before I can say a word, I have 7 other kids calling out.

I feel hopeless and I sooo miss teaching 1st grade right now,......

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 24, 2009

Hang in there! The first few weeks are really hard. I think I always question why I am doing this...

But then they start getting it! Just go over your expectations. Only address the students who are following those directions. We haven't started yet, but I think I just keep them moving all the time. We are at the tables for 5 minutes, then move to the floor for about 5 minutes, then back to the tables etc. I try to build their stamina from being on the floor to the tables to centers.

Good luck, you can do this!

4. preschoolheart

preschoolheart Rookie

Aug 24, 2009

I've found that when kids call out, if I just look at them and silently raise my own hand it gets them to stop talking and raise their hands instead. This only works if they understand that they're supposed to raise their hands though, so make sure you review that first. Sometimes it helps to talk about that before asking a question they're likely to call out the answer to.

5. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Aug 24, 2009

aww, I bet after you get used to them you will love them!

Think of them as empty vessels waiting to be filled!

6. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 24, 2009

I once attended a workshop taught by a male K. teacher. He taught his students to cover their mouths with one hand whenever they raised a hand. This kept them from shouting out. The first grade teachers could always tell which students came from his class.:lol:

At the beginning of the year you really have to spend a lot of time on routines & procedures. I make a big deal looking for a "quiet hand" to be picked to have a turn at the beginning of the year.

It gets better- usually! Good luck.:hugs:

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 25, 2009

Oh Jeannie-I'm sorry it didn't go as well as you had planned.

I always compliment the one doing the right thing. "I like how Mary is raising her hand to speak". Usually they will look at Mary and raise their hands. It takes time. Even for teachers who have been teaching Kinder forever run into those kids. I also demonstrate to them why it's important to raise their hands - I count to 3 and they all say their own name. You can't hear any one child when they are all talking and I explain that to them. The 1st couple of weeks before any activity I review all the rules - after awhile I just have to point to the poster and say eh hem and they know what to do.

Hope today was better for you!

8. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Aug 25, 2009

Great idea!!
    Jeannie, keep in mind that these kiddies are a whole year younger than what you're used to. For some, this may be their first school experience so they may not understand why it is important to raise their hands and follow the rules. I teach pre-k and the first week (3 days) is spent going over rules and routines. I actually demonstrate how to clean up the toys, unpack/pack their bags, line-up, raise their hands, etc. They just don't know, but you'll see a huge improvement in the coming weeks. Good luck, you'll eventually begin to relax and enjoy them!

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Aug 25, 2009

Ahhh....the end of first grade is so different than the beginning of Kindergarten so I'm sure its a big shock. Keep practicing those procedures until they know them by heart! In the meantime, include lots of hands on activities. We rotated through 5 activities of playdough today. The purpose was to teach them how to transition from one table, center or activity to the next. Hang in there! It does get easier!

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 25, 2009

Now you probably understand why kindergarten teachers hate when 1st grade teachers refer to their former students as "babies" in the beginning of the year. They're "big kids" when we hand them off to first grade! WE are getting the true "babies." :p

Kindergarten is horrible in the beginning of the year. The yelling out thing is my pet peeve. It WILL get better, though. It might take 3 or 4 months, but they will start looking like 1st graders before you know it!

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

ok today went better and I have to admit I was better prepared. I wrote EVERYTHING I planned to do down to word for word on some things. It kept me focus and stay on track. We did routines and procedures over and over and over.

I have a few kids that are extremely over active. Bouncing, twirling, constant moving. We do centers and math centers and we are constantly moving from carpet to tables, but no RECESS. Not allowed. By afternoon they are bouncing from one side of the room to the next.

12. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

Sorry to hear your first day was rough. But look at it this way: you can teach them the right way to behave, read, do math, etc. from the get-go, instead of having to straighten them out next year!

13. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 25, 2009

Why in the WORLD is recess NOT ALLOWED???? Some days I had recess twice a day!! I feel for ya :(

Kindergarteners are bouncy at the beginning of the year and do shout out a lot. Plan activities where they can move around (songs, dancing, etc). As for the shouting out, I usually would say, "Oh, look how so-and-so is raising his hand! Thank you!" or "Oh, I'm sorry. I can only listen to you if your hand is raised and I call on you." If you think about it, the whole hand raising thing is totally foreign to kids first entering school...you don't raise your hand at home or anywhere else, so it is something they have to practice awhile before they remember and do it automatically.

Be patient with them! I hope things get better for ya...I'm sure they will :)

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

I agree about recess. and I can see it on their faces and in their bottoms up off the floor , spinning around. I feel for them, but my district is super strict and believes every moment should be spent academically. We do have developmental centers, but they long to go to the playground. We have a beautiful playground that pretty much sits empty.

15. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2009

Jeannie- I'm glad day 2 went better!! Keeping them busy is key, as well as modeling over and over and over and over, and when I think about it, I really do teach procedures all year long! Like one of the pp said, they might not even know how to pack up their backpack, so the first few weeks I plan extra time to do everything so we can talk about it first and review all the rules. I'm sorry you have no recess, that is just not fair!! Is there some way that you could work in a movement song or something a few times a day just to get their energy out?

16. jae

jae Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

Oh wow! No recess?!?! We have 3 a day, and I think it helps my students to have the recess breaks--they burn off some of their restless energy and refocus on academic learning once they come in--if they had to have academics all day I would lose them by 10:00 :/ I know kindergarten is very academic, but social development is a big deal too, and I feel recess is important for that.

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2009

That's disgusting. I'd be bouncing and spinning around too, MOST adults would!! PLAY IS developmentally appropriate. WTH is the matter with the bean counters down at admin.? We are going to lose these kids before they have even had a chance to bloom. How tremendously angry that makes me.:mad:

18. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 25, 2009

What a horrible thing they children aren't allowed to have recess. Can you at least have play time in your classroom? I would be doing a lot of movements with songs.

I always start off teaching routines. The first day is about how to wash hands, where to sit, how to sit, how to line up, how to walk in the hallways.....
    From there I move onto how to use crayons, scissors, markers.....

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2009

Please show this to your admininstration and the "educators" who make such decisions.
    kids who give brains a break do better academically

Read the entire piece, but I found this part particularly eye-opening.
    "Young rats denied opportunities for rough-and-tumble play develop numerous social problems in adulthood. They fail to recognize social cues and the nuances of rat hierarchy; they aren’t able to mate. By the same token, people who play as children “learn to handle life in a much more resilient and vital way,” said Dr. Stuart Brown, the author of the new book “Play: How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination and Invigorates the Soul” (Avery)."

20. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 25, 2009

I second this wholeheartedly. I wish I could slap some of these admin people in the face, shove them out of the way, and yell, "Run, kids, run!!!! Have fun being a CHILD!!!!!!"

UGGGGHHHH!!!

21. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2009

no recess?!
    I think that's horrible! Couldn't you take them out for a little walk?

22. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

Is there any way you can do large motor stuff in the classroom with them? Have things available for them to use?

Kinderkids, I love the article. Thanks for sharing it.

23. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 26, 2009

That's what I used to do - we walked around the perimeter of the school - called it a "listening walk".

I feel it myself in meetings or Prof. dev. - having to just sit for so long. It's kind of selfish too because I just love watching the kids play. They make up their own games with their own rules - kids who are so quiet in class are suddenly louder than life ordering others around.