OMG...I hate whole class bathroom breaks

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by demijasmom, Oct 19, 2010.

1. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Oct 19, 2010

Last week, I inherited a 1st grade class that had a teacher with no classroom mangement. I think I'm great with classroom mangement needless to say, I have 8 weeks of behavior I have to undo. Taking the whole class of 28 to the bathroom is too much.:dizzy: HELP

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Oct 19, 2010

I hate it too. I have them make two lines at the doors (one boys, one girls). I allow three to go in at a time (3 bathrooms) and we just use hand sanitizer as they come out. I have a friend that gives the job of "bathroom monitor" to the kids, so that child monitors how many are in there at a time.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 19, 2010

I do something similar. If I don't then I will literally be interrupted with teaching every 10 min with at least 3-4 students needing to go to the bathroom. In the afternoon we are doing math and writing so there is lots of guided practice during this time and not too many transitions or independent time where it wouldn't be as much of a problem. BUT, 3-4 kids every 10 min would still be hard to control if they were doing independent stuff.

I also have a handful that I cannot trust in the bathroom.

5. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Oct 19, 2010

Implement sign language. The sign for bathroom is the letter T in the air - the thumb between the first 2 fingers. The sign for water is the letter W at the chin - first 3 fingers up.

As they line up look at each child and make the T or W sign, have them either shake/nod their head or show the sign for yes or no. If they say no for both point to their desk and they can go sit down. If they aren't paying attention and you skip them they have to go sit down. It will get them quiet and paying attention.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2010

Do you have recess time? When I taught all day kinder, my little ones just went during recess times. They could also go during class. Is this whole class bathroom break a requirement? I never heard of it at any of the schools I taught at.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 19, 2010

I hate them too! We take one break in the morning and one in the afternoon. Is it acceptable to take them just once? I mean, it's too late for this year's class, but I'm thinking of shooting for one break with my second graders next year. You think they're too young? I feel like they'll always need to go after lunch. Bah!

8. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, I started doing entire class bathroom break but now I just let students go when they need to but when I was doing classroom bathroom break. I made it into a contest boys vs girls even though I know this is becoming taboo the idea of gender competitions but it got my class in and out of bathrooms under four mins.

9. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Oct 25, 2010

I hate the whole class trips. We do two a day and I still have almost all my students ask for one more time a day. Also, my students can not behave in line. I am a new teacher walking into a class 9 weeks into the year after over 3 weeks of a sub. They are trying all the first week stuff, so we are constantly working on proper hall procedures and bathroom breaks just make it worse!! Ok - vent over :)

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Oct 25, 2010

We have before school "recess", morning recess, and lunch recess. Then there is a 3 hr stretch until the end of school. Seems like (naturally) after lunch kids really need to go to the bathroom because the food is settling in. I don't think it's doable to deny them a bathroom break in the afternoon.

11. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Oct 26, 2010

I do something similiar, although we all leave the classroom so nobody sits at their desk. I call all the girls that need to use the bathroom and allow 4 to go in and the rest wait by the door. I do the same for boys. Then I allow those that are still in line to get a drink. If a person doesn't need anything they jsut stay in line. Once they use the bathroom they can get a drink. Those students that are waiting to go into the bathroom go in once a person has come out.
    The first grade teachers at my school have the kids sit on the floor instead of stand in line when they finish...I guess this cuts down on all the movement.

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2010

Maybe it is different a few years younger, but in 4th grade, I do not do a class bathroom break at all. Students are allowed 1 bathroom break in the morning and one in the afternoon; and this is during class time. Most students do not use it even once, and very rarely does a student end up going twice in the day. I also do not let them go during directions or instruction unless it is an absolute emergency. I know that at the 4th grade age, they can be made to hold it for a little while.

13. cateste

cateste Companion

Oct 27, 2010

No good way, just accept the disruptions.

I had a good friend get raked over the coals because she hadn't let Johnny go to the bathroom and he wet his pants. The parents stormed into the school looking to skin her alive. Logical explanations were of no help, but the principal defused the situation after some teacher pseudo apologies and a lot of wasted time. Just realize that these same parents, and the ones in your school, will be raising these kids until they are 50 years old, you won't.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2010

I have had a couple kids do that in my classroom over the past few years, but they were a couple kids who both had some medical issues, didn't necessarily realize there was an issue at the time. For the most part, without a medical problem, kids can hold it.