OMG...help!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StarsofTommorow, Apr 8, 2015.

1. StarsofTommorow

StarsofTommorow Companion

Apr 8, 2015

Do you think a principal would tell your mentor and other staff via e-mail that you will not be returning the next year? Before they say anything to you? Help... I could have sworn that I saw a glimpse of an e-mail while in my mentors room while they were exiting files on their computer that said "(My name) will be leaving us soon.." Not sure if its just a coincidence but I was told by admin that I was doing a good job, improved on my evaluations, no write ups, no improvement plans, nothing I had to sign off on. Not sure about county budgets either I have a few more weeks contract wise before I have to be notified personally either way in writing. Help help help! :-(

3. StarsofTommorow

Apr 8, 2015

Maybe I should start putting in apps? Bummer.

4. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Apr 8, 2015

Any chance it was referring to someone else with the same name?

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 8, 2015

Most administrators (good ones) will not tell anyone else before they tell the teacher.

That being said, it seems that you are spending in inordinate amount of time worrying about the future and things that you can't change. The stress can't be good for you.

If it happens, ok, then you can deal with it. If you want to start hunting for a new job, that is your choice. However, it seems that your P has indicated that they would like to keep you, barring budget issues.

I was let go due to low numbers some years ago but the P immediately recommended me to another P, so it worked out well. If your P has to let you go, chances are they will do the same thing for you.

6. CanIteachPhysic

CanIteachPhysic Rookie

Apr 8, 2015

What you stated does not sound like someone that is not being brought back next year. It sounds like someone who has resigned, retiring, put in for some type of leave. Was it a first name or a full name?

7. StarsofTommorow

Apr 8, 2015

First name only. I didn't get to read it all of course but just a glimpse.

8. StarsofTommorow

Apr 8, 2015

So true. It is stressful and I need to stop. That's great that you immediately found work again.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2015

Stars - you have been stressed from day 1, literally. It started with your concerns over the old boyfriend, proceeded on to your para troubles, then we talked about Ms. Blab, and now you have paranoia about nonrenewal. Wow, it is hard being you, and I mean that sincerely. Maybe you should let or get the drama out of your life and see if you feel a little better. Good luck.

10. StarsofTommorow

Apr 8, 2015

I know its aweful!

11. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Apr 8, 2015

I would just ask at this point.

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 8, 2015

Direct - I love that! :thumb:

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 9, 2015

I would advise against asking if the principal sent an email telling others that you were not coming back.

I would advise FOR asking the principal whether or not you will be asked back next year.

14. StarsofTommorow

Apr 9, 2015

I wouldn't dare do that. In fact I avoid admin at all costs unless necessary. Don't ask too many questions, don't get in their way, don't talk crap, just do your job. Works well for me.

15. StarsofTommorow

Apr 9, 2015

Yeah I want to know but I figure ride it out until they are mandated to tell me which is the date in my contract. Also haven't got any letters in the mail from the county. Like some of you said I don't have that power in my hands so just do my job and let what is to be happen.

16. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Apr 9, 2015

The point is you are going crazy. It is better to ask and take the mental weight off then to continue this sort of rumination. I asked each year I was at a charter, before the date they were required to tell me. Basically, anytime anything about planning for next year came up, I just asked and was told.

17. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 9, 2015

At some point you will have to take responsibility for doing what's best for you in your career. Your principal should understand that and should understand that you want to know what you are going to be doing next year preferably before the mandated time so that you can get your affairs into order in case you need to (i.e. look into applying to other sites, start asking for letters of recommendation, etc.).

I understand you may not WANT to hear what she might decide, but if it helps you in your career you need to take the appropriate steps. Especially if the alternative is stressing yourself to death.

Asking the one question you want to know the answer to isn't asking too many questions, getting in their way, or talking crap. If your principal sees it that way, then maybe you should start to look for a new principal.

All it takes is one short email.

"Do you know if you're planning to have me back next year? Thanks."

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 9, 2015

In most districts I have worked at in this part of the country, asking the question would get you no where. The districts have a mandated date after which they begin giving those decisions, and not a day earlier.

19. StarsofTommorow

Apr 10, 2015

I agree. But if they have a mandated date they have to let me know by that date I would think. I don't see how if you have a contract they can tell you for example 10 or 20 days after the date listed.

Thanks to the other ladies as well...just gonna do my job and not give a hoot from here on out one way or another.

20. CanIteachPhysic

CanIteachPhysic Rookie

Apr 15, 2015

If what lynettstoy stated is correct, you might want to see a doctor about anxiety issues. I know many people that are on some form of anxiety medication or seeing therapists. It's not a cure-all, but helps them tremendously in how they perceive the world around them.