OMG! Anyone watch The Motel Kids of Orange County on HBO2?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smurfette, Jul 28, 2010.

1. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 28, 2010

There was an excellent documentary about families with children who are homeless and living in hotels in Orange County, right around the corner from Disneyland. A large part of filming was done in their school. It brings up a lot of mixed feelings, especially since I've taught a lot of kids in those kind of situations. Some of the kids and families had such a strong spirit, and you know they are going to make it. Others, you really had to work to picture a good future for them.

Two heartbreaking parts (out of many): 1. When the filmmaker asks the kids (grades 2,3,4) what they have to look forward to in life, many said, "Nothing." 2. At the end, the filmmakers revealed that, due to budget cuts, the children's teacher was being let go. You could tell the whole time how much she cared about them.

Anyone else see this?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 28, 2010

No, I don't have HBO2 (or any HBO for that matter), but I would have liked to have seen it. How sad. I had a student of mine that we thought lived in a tent for a while.

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 28, 2010

I dont have HBO2... but i saw the previews...

5. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 29, 2010

I saw it....amazing and at the same time heart breaking. I kept thinking of myself in their teacher's shoes...and didn't know how I could do that on a daily basis or if I'd even be strong enough to. If anyone gets the chance to watch it, I'd highly recommend it!

6. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Just saw the Comcast has it OnDemand for those of you who missed it...totally worth watching.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

My husband recently met someone who lives in a motel in our area. She has 4 kids living with her. The scary thing is she's a teacher but hasn't been able to find a job in a while. I guess it could happen to anyone!

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 31, 2010

I agree, it could. Many of those people had jobs, but they couldn't afford the deposit necessary for an apartment. It reminds me of a book I read, Nickel and Dimed, where a woman tried to live on minimum wage jobs (just herself, not a family), and ended up living in motels for the same reason.

9. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 31, 2010

That's just awful. I had a student whose family lived in a motel for a while. She went home on a Friday, left personal things in the classroom, and never came back. I don't know what ever became of her. It broke my heart.

10. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Don't have HBO, I sure like to see it.Yes that could be any of us. I'm unemployed and that's a scary thought that could be me living in a motel with my daughters.

11. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 31, 2010

I saw it today. I have had students that have lived in these types of motels.
    Most children in this documentary had no hope. You could see it.
    I will never forget the scene where the children were digging thru the dumpsters at the motel looking for toys and other "treasures."
    One of the youngest, a little boy (about 5 or 6), seemed to have no sense of self-worth...no sense of future...no hope.
    It was terribly sad and disturbing that anyone has to live like the people in this documentary.

12. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

I just watched it. Wow, it sure gives me more understanding when it comes to my students. I have had students who lived in motels and shelters, and I really had no idea what they were going through. I will be a lot more empathetic from now on.
    If you don't have HBO, you should be able to view it online. It is well worth the effort to find.