OMG a bridge collapses in Minnesota

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by teachmemath, Aug 1, 2007.

1. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Aug 1, 2007

This is all over the news channels. I am praying for the victims and their families. They speculate 3 dead already. I hope the survivors are doing ok. This happened during rush hour. And one of the vehicles on there was a school bus. OHh man this makes you think how precious life is and how we can go anytime. All I can do is pray for those that were involved. I'm sorry to put a damper on things

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

I was talking to fam & they told me to turn it on. I've been over that bridge quite a bit!!!
    Prayers like you said for everyone victims, families & rescuers!

4. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Aug 1, 2007

i just saw it on the news. how horrible! All those people just trying to get home from work. And the families! My thoughts are with them.

5. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

I am from MN and was watching the news when it happened....wow, the footage is just horrible. The children on the school bus are all okay, according to the reports. It is really just a terrible mess...please pray for all those involved. FYI cell phone networks are very busy and they are asking people not to use unless of emergencies...so if you are trying to contact family in the area and you can't get through, that may be why. PLEASE PRAY!!

6. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

We just saw it here on the news too. How horrible! I pray for those who were on the bridge and their families. It looks terrible on the news. Very scary!

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 1, 2007

A friend of mine just told me about this. Her cousin and his wife travel that bridge home every day and no one has been able to get in touch with them. It is horrible to think of what all those people are going through.

8. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I am so sorry to hear that, Christy. I pray for their safety and everyone else involved in this horrible accident.

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

watching news now! oh my!

10. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

As of right now, 7 dead and 37 injured. Most of the rescue and recovery operations have been shut-down due to darkness and worries about safety for the rescuers. Cell phone service was down for about an hour... it is up and running again.

My sister is in Minneapolis this week teaching a class for H&R Block. My dad travels that bridge 4x a week as he is an over-the-road truck driver. It's hitting TOO close to home!!

Keep praying for everyone..

11. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I just drove by that bridge on a different over pass this afternoon coming home from class not even four hours before it happened. I cannot even imagine what that felt like and I can honestly say I will think of that every time I go over a bridge now. It is creepy seeing it right downtown and actually seeing sites I know and knowing that how we travel through the city is changed. They've said it will take years to rebuild...Please pray for everyone involve, this is just really scary, but I am glad they don't think it was a terrorist thing.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

This forum is a good place to spread this type of news. I had not seen the news today. I just got notice from this thread.
    I have been watching the news, and CNN now. Here is Red Cross number for finding missing people: (612) 871-7676

This is really terrible.

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

Absoulute shock when I saw it, still cannot fathom how it happened. I pray that the death toll stays very low.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

I am glad you told us!!! I tell you, whenever I don't watch the news, something terrible happens! The last time something this bad happened, it was when Princess Di was killed. I was walking to the store, and I kept seeing headlines on the papers in the newspaper racks. I couldn't figure out what the story was. I finally broke down and brought a paper. It was so sad.

Thank you teachmemath. This is a good forum for sharing info.

Here is a number (612) 871-7676 for the Red Cross for families to find out about missing love ones.

They are also saying please don't use your cell phone or call 612 area code unless it is an absolute emergency..because the lines are all tied up.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

A special prayer for you dizzy, and all of our teachers in Minnesota...

16. sdzbgdr

sdzbgdr Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I guess they do not think terrorism is involved. Given the timing with the NYC steam explosion a couple of weeks ago, I think they suspect the aging info structure.
    I believe it was in 1992 or 93 while driving along I-40 that I just barely got across the river that separates Oklahoma and Arkansas and that bridge fell in the water. We didn’t even know it. Shortly after crossing that bridge, we stopped for gas. Later when we got a motel near Little Rock, I heard it on the news. I checked the time on my gas receipt and calculated the time the bridge fell in and realized that we must have just barely gotten across. I remember seeing the barge that they said caused the collapse. I think more people got killed in that collapse (well I mean more than the 7 they are currently reporting from Minnesota collapse).
    But now listen to this. In August when I returned to school (hundreds of miles from that bridge), I told some people and another teacher said her brother was under that bridge just 30 minutes before it collapsed!

17. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 2, 2007

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 2, 2007

I heard back from her late last night, they are fine, they couldn't get through on the cell phone. The wife was a few minutes late leaving work (they work together) and they were almost at the bridge when it collapsed.
    In some of the news articles I read about people who had just crossed the bridge or who had stopped for gas, etc. Sometimes it's amazing to think that a decision like that could truly save your life.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

Divine Intervention??!:angel:

20. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

They have lessened the number of dead to 4. Although it will climb today as there are at least 20-40 cars unaccounted for. They believe they are in the river under the bridge that collapsed. It was a long night, but as far as I know and have been able to get in contact, my friends and family are doing okay! What a scary thought. I hated bridges (because I hate heights) over water, this just makes more reason to not go over them!
    I hope the rescuers can stay safe, because they are not sure about the structure safety of what hasn't fallen totally down yet. We still are having live coverage of it this morning and probably all day as more news comes in.
    They believe it was the steel under the bridge that gave way. You can watch the video on CNN.com of it collapsing. How scary. I just hope that all people waiting for their loved ones will have some answers soon!

21. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

God I hate the bureaucratic speak
    "structurally deficient."
    "Documentation phase"
    Plan every day English please

22. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2007

How about we know there are bridges in this country that are dangerous, we haven't made fixing them a priority, we screwed up, people were killed, we are sorry and we will now properly fund our infastructre????? (Of course that would involve Congress properly funding something besides pork....so I don't see it happening.)

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I think it is a case of CYA

24. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

A piece of one of our Missouri overpasses fell last year and landed below, thankfully only damaging one car, not injuring its driver. Today one of the Missouri bridges is closed until further notice. It is one of the many bridges built around the same time; I guess they decided to fess up to some dangerous conditions rather than chance another disaster. Take a look under some of the bridges we drive over; you may not want to cross them anymore. Isn't is a shame that officials are so reactive instead of being proactive? Given the time of day, it's a total blessing that the number of people killed/injured isn't in the high hundreds. I'm praying for everyone involved in any way in this horrific event. They need all the prayers and support they can get.

25. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I can't watch the news.....It has been on all day and everytime I change the ch. I take a bridge all of the time....and I just can't think about it....so sad...my prayers go out to the families and friends.....

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

glad that you heard from your freind Christy...

you never know...

but this is a good message to remind folks to stop for gas...I don't see how anybody drives around on 'E', let alone trying to get across town on 'E'...

I could not imagine being in a situation like that, and not having enough gas to even back up!

27. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

ditto allissa...

all of the above...

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

plain English would make it seem like they are not professional nor secure in their knowledge

after every earthquake, you can count on some seismologist mumbling in montone..."yes, that was 5.2 on the Richter Scale, and we also note a few aftershocks, along the San Andreas Fault and it was similair to the Sylmar Quake of '74, but we don't expect any tremors to cause feasible damage of that magnatitude." :|

What?? Just let me know when I can stop sleeping on the couch, with my emergency bag tucked under my feet!!

I found out dogs can tell there's an earthquake coming before any Cal Tech seismologist! Dogs, and car alarms make noise before any shaking starts!

29. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

I heard a good ananlogy last nite. Someone said think of ground zero after 9/11 & now think of that under water & you have what we are trying to do!!

I talked to fam out there yesterday & one of their friends was going to stop before to use the bathroom because the traffic was so backed up, well they decided to just to go & stop after....It probably saved them. They made it across the bridge & heard on the radio about 10 mins later that it had collapsed!!!!

30. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 3, 2007

The death toll was raised to 5. There are more people in the water that they just can't get to due to the severe under currents from the Mississippi river!
    There are a lot of heroes from all of this and a lot of people stepped up to the plate. Now if we can only get the government to step up and take responsibility for their mistakes, etc. Even the local news people (on every station) cut the president off when he started to blame others for this (congress, democrats, etc.) How sad that a tragedy like this can be turned into a political game! :(

Please keep those prayers going for the survivors and the families that are still waiting to find out!

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

ditto...dare I say..

we are too busy looking for 'weapons of mass destruction' in other foriegn lands....

and our own land is self-destructing from lack of care... :(

32. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

God bless America, land that I love
    Stand beside her and guide her
    Through the night with the light from above
    From the mountains To the prairies,
    To the ocean white with foam
    God bless America, My home sweet home.​

Just don't stand on a bridge,
    next to a electrical tower or
    drive to where you want to stand

When ever I sing God Bless America I get tears in my eyes when I was a kid the USA was the "bestest" country in the world. We had new highways, segregation was falling, Americans had won a war we felt safe. We wore the white hat. Even Korea was "Just" a "police action" Ike was a "good" President he was a war hero, Kennedy was a good President he was a war hero, young and handsome. We became of age with the death of Kennedy and war in Nam.
    Now we have corruption, shoddy work and a general lack pride in a job done well.
    Here we had a bridge built during America's "golden age" that did not have the upkeep it needed. Some of this can be blamed on a "that will do" attitude, the dumbing down of everything. It is lets find the easy way out.
    We need to get back to a basic train of thought. Make America the "bestest" again.

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.
    We have symbolic alligators
    We need to drain the swamp:
    Fence our borders, fund education at a higher rate, we need to balance personal rights with society's rights, and make our youth accountable along with adults accountable.

I pray for the victims and their families
    when I think my son who was in the Navy over in the gulf, could now come home and be killed by crumbling infrastructure I want to scream.:2cents: :2cents: keep the change
    :soapbox:

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

reminds me of that commerical where a **** is leaking, and some technical guru sticks a wad of gum in there.

Some people actually think that worked

I saw four teachers attempt to stick a block in a door, to get some air. I don't think any of them had a class in physics. Finally, a 3 year old came over, and wedged the block correctly!!

What about those awful insurance commericals, where the guy takes off like a bird, and they say in French.."He can fly!" ...and the old guy says, "yeah, but he can't swim."

or my personal nightmare...

the same insurance company shows a scuba guy in a cage, and he has a harpoon gun, and a shark is going after him.

this idiot shoots his own boat! and the next scene you see is the sinking vessel next to the poor soul who literally just cut off his lifeline.

this type of realism does not wake people up about insurance.

It shows that we are not thinking about what needs to be done!

And not doing the things that should be done.

When they should have been done! Preparation, thought and maintenace!!!!

Instead of squeezing a zillion songs onto an ipod, or getting tv into your cell phone. Let's do some work on things that are already here!

One hi-tech guy to another: "Hmmmm...those bridges over there...how old are they?" Oh, I don't know, 30 maybe 40 years old.

"Ok, let's drive over one while we are on our way to build a smaller ipod!"

my 2cents

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

There is nothing wrong with a 30-40 year old bridge it is the upkeep that failed
    But whoever was in charge of bridge maintenance was like the guy with the gum at the leaking dam.

35. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2007

got your point...