Olympics!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by leighbball, Jun 25, 2012.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

Anyone else excited for the Olympics? I can't wait!!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 25, 2012

I've already been watching the trials!

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 25, 2012

I am a big sports fan but do my absolute best to ignore the Olympics. I understand people like it but it always seems like a big inconvenience to my television schedule.

I might watch a hockey game or two in the winter, maybe a basket ball game or two in the summer, but that is it.

Maybe the excitement over the Olympics is Generational.

I just hope the NY/NJ area doesn't get one. That would really irritate me.

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 25, 2012

I haven't watched any of the trials yet, but I'm very excited about the Olympics.

I'm also excited about the Summer X-Games, which start this Thursday!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2012

Although I tend to like the Winter Olympics a little better, I am pretty excited about the Summer Olympics this year. My favorite events are always swimming, diving, and gymnastics.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

I love the Olympics, and I love watching the medal count every time. Of course I always want the US to get the most medals! I watched some of the diving trials over the weekend. I don't want summer to go by too fast (mine just started) but I'm excited for it to start!

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 25, 2012

I love the Olympics! I was just watching some of the trials. I really like gymnastics, equestrian, and swimming.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 25, 2012

Watched the swim trials this evening! I was surprised that Phelps didn't win, but maybe he needs that to give him that push... or maybe he's holding back to keep the competition guessing! LOL

I'm an Olympics JUNKY! There are few things more thrilling than watching our flag being raised and hearing the national anthem played when we get the gold. I feel so patriotic around the Olympics!

10. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 25, 2012

I'm super excited!

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 25, 2012

I'm not a big sports fan at all, but I actually like the olympics a lot. I'm really excited for the gymnastics in particular and I'll probably watch the swimming and diving too.

12. msaly

msaly Comrade

Jun 25, 2012

I am very excited for the Olympics, a girl I went to high school with (one of my best friends sister) is on the track and field team!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2012

Very cool, msaly!

I love watching gymnastics and swimming, but I'll try to watch as much as I can this summer. I used to do an Olympics theme in my classroom the year of the summer olympics but I decided to keep with an outer space theme so I don't have to reinvent the wheel this year...I may still try to do some Olympics things in my room though :)

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2012

Wish we were closer...we could have watching parties because those are what I watch as well!!

Yes ma'am!!

I don't want to give too many details away because that would lead to where I live; however, one of the women swimmers is from the town I live in. I'll be watching her closely.

15. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2012

I never was really into it but one of my running friends is at the trials right now and all her fb updates are getting me a little excited!

16. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

Olympics

Yes! I love the Olympics! My favorite summer sports are gymnastics, track and field, and diving. When I was a kid I thought it was the law that you had to watch the Olympics, like it was your patriotic duty. I was a strange kid. :whistle:

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 26, 2012

I also like to use the data in math. We'll be making graphs and tables for the medal counts in August, and later in the year when we do decimals I will resurrect the data, particularly swimming and track and field.

18. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2012

I love the Olympics. When growing up we never had cable except for during the Olympics when my parents would get all the sports channels so we could keep up. I think Olympians are the coolest people on the planet. On any given day, I'd hands down rather meet an Olympian than a celebrity.

I found out my college teammate's mother ran for Jamaica in the Olympics and I almost did a backflip. I get so excited! I've also met an Olympic gold medalist (swimmer). And one of my mom's kids from her swim team is going to the trials this weekend to try and qualify!

ahhhhhhhhh now I'm too excited and can't sit still!!

LOVE OLYMPICS

19. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jun 26, 2012

Already reserved Friday July 27 off from any activities to watch the opening ceremony.

After that, if I am home the television will be on for any Olympic event.

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 26, 2012

So excited! A friend of mine who works for a very large sporting goods company is taking every one of her nieces and nephews to London (many former students of mine!). JEALOUS!!!

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait. Though I'd love to go in person, it sure will be much easier to kick back on the couch and watch. Plus, with various locations for different sports, it would be hard to make it to different venues. I love gymnastics and soccer. Shockingly, the men's team didn't qualify this year. I'm going to look up info about the women's team.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 27, 2012

I LOVE the Olympics! I was planning since late 2009 to go there in person this time, but things fell through, so I'll have to watch it on TV yet again like most people. I love tennis, gymnastics, fencing, track & field, & more.

23. smalltowngal

Jun 27, 2012

Well, my woman swimmer made it!

24. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

I saw a commercial yesterday about how my cable company (Comcast) has special footage of the trials and things on "on demand". May have to start watching some of that.

How cool, stg!

25. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

I love the Olympics! The Winter Olympics is my favorite, but enjoy the summer ones, too. I've been paying pretty good attention to the gymnastics...trials are this weekend! But I also really enjoy track and field, swimming and diving.

26. smalltowngal

Jun 27, 2012

Roo~there are sports from both the Summer and Winter Olympics that I love!

27. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

Definitely, stg, both are great! The main reason I love the Winter Olympics more is because figure skating is my favorite sport to watch except for college basketball and besides the Olympics it's not on nearly enough. But I can get into just about any of the sports in either Olympics.

28. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2012

I love all of the ski and snowboard stuff in the winter. :)

29. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 27, 2012

I get just as excited during the winter Olympics, too. For me, it's just all about the personal stories... those kids who are overcoming great obstacles or those older athletes giving it one last try. I love to see the triumph of the human spirit in these games. :)

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2012

I'm getting really frustrated with the trials, specifically the airing of the trials on TV. ESPN and news websites/channels keep posting the results of the trials before they've even aired here on the West Coast. :( It's like I have to go into media blackout mode to be able to watch the trials without fear of knowing what happens before it happens. Ugh.

31. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jun 27, 2012

I love the Summer Olympics! Particularly swimming, diving, and gymnastics. We have been watching the trials all week.

Ceasar, I know how you feel; we only have the very basic cable so we have just been watching the trials on NBC, but I have a couple friends who keep ruining everything for me on facebook!

32. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

I've always enjoyed gymnastics, and I like the history of the games...but I don't believe I saw a minute of the last Olympics. I meant to go online and watch the opening ceremonies because so many people discussed it, but didn't. Just not an big interest of mine.