Olympics Unit

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Dthig65, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Dthig65

Dthig65 Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Any of you great teachers planning neat activities for the Olympics? If so, care to share???:p

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 9, 2008

i've been tossing around the idea of doing a math and science olympics day in my class. Something like having stations set up with different manipulatives, speed quizzes, or experiments to do. At the end doing a jeopardy like game. Possibly giving out medals for various things. My team teacher is planning to have the kids research a country in social studies and write about it for language arts.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 9, 2008

5. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 9, 2008

Last year, myself (first year) and the other math teacher started the year with a metric unit. We ended that unit with the Metric Olympics. I'm trying to remember everything that went along with it. I know we had a discus throw (paper plate toss), the shot put (cotton ball throw), standing long jump, a one handed marble grab, and a few other items. I'll have to get my stuff out and look! All the measurements had to be done in metric units. It was SO much fun and a great way to end the unit . . . the kids had a blast. This year with the Olympics actually happening I think it would be even more fun! Hmmmmm, now I'm starting to think . . .

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

We are significantly younger than most of your classrooms, but we will be discussing the torch (which is lit in Greece using the rays of the sun) relay and then making s'mores in a tin foil solar oven (rays of the sun) for science. There was a great pack of enlarged, multi national postcard BB items from C Delarosa at my "teacher store". So we will be using those to begin an investigation into early geography and flag recognition/landmark recognition. As we are an Early Childhood class, we will also be making a flag collectively so that we can discuss teamwork as well as what our flag looks like.

I love some of your ideas about measuring Dynamite Boys. Please continue....

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 9, 2008

WaProvider - I am currently working like mad on my (very first) classroom - 1st grade, and my theme is Mrs. Whatley's World Travelers - I am using the C. Dellarosa posters of which you spoke to "beef up" my theme! I plan to do a lot of activities based more on the individual countries from which athletes come to compete.

8. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

Wow, GMTA!! I plan on mailing my postcards to the room in manila env and then opening them with great fanfare. I used mailing labels to cover the mock address up and added mailing labels for the program. The writing has the name of the "child" that wrote the card, so I used that name and "olympic committee" or "Egyptian Olympic team" or something.

we have posted the world map, ordered flags from oriental trading, and have baited the room with atlas(s).

this combined with the metric olympics should work out fine.

We ran a torch run last week (we are year 'round), we will re do that and add a game of frisbee (invented in China) and a yo yo play off (invented in China too).

That should last a while for us.

We read Magic tree house hour of the olympics and day of the dragon king for the last two weeks.

Let me know what you are planning!!

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 9, 2008

11. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Aug 10, 2008

That's the exact same lesson we used last year!!!! It's a ton of fun and a great way to wrap up a metric unit! It's probably a great way to introduce it as well!!!! Have fun!

(I find it amazing the stuff that is online - and here I thought the teacher before me was just unbelieveably creative! That'll be a fun joke . . . I'm just glad to have an electronic copy in case I lose my paper copy! Thank for providing that!)

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 10, 2008

Wow, well I'm planning a lot more now, that's for sure! :lol: I am posting the postcard "fronts" around my room as decoration. I plan to use the "backs" when we cover writing a friendly letter. All year long I will be bringing "the world" into our classroom. I found a little geography workbook in the Target $1 bin in which they have lessons in how to say "hello" in many, many different languages! I had kind of planned to do something like that already, because I can at least say hello in several languages, although I am only fluent in American English, lol. My main thought about this is that (1) it will make them think about the language they use, and (2) it will be something that only our class will do, so it will be special, kind of like a secret club handshake or something. Does that make any sense? I'd love any suggestions or critiques. My kids are pretty low-performing, so I'm really trying to enrich their language opportunities.

13. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I teach middle school SS and LA. The first two days of school are weird schedules with only about 20 minute classes. For Wed-Fri, my team and I are doing a short Olympics unit since schedules will still be changing and we don't want to start our actual Tx. History curriculum until the 2nd week of school. We are going to color/label a world map with the countries that are participating in the Olympics this year. The next day we are going to make a bar graph of medal counts for each country. Then on Friday we are doing some creative writing--My Olympic Experience.