Olympics moment of silence

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Jul 27, 2012.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

Its been 40 years since the '72 Munich Olympics at which 11 Israeli participants were killed by terrorists. The Olympics Committee has thus far rejected the request for a moment of silence marking the anniversary of the tragedy. Bob Costas has said he will personally observe a moment of silence during his commentary of the Opening Ceremonies tonight.

Anyone else remember that tragedy? I was only 10 at the time but have some memory of it.:(

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/07/27/Olympics/NBC.aspx?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

OH, man I remember it well. I was a total news junkie even back then, and the news was inescapable.

I'm glad Bob Costas is memorializing it.

I don't understand the argument about not politicizing the Olympics-- what happened to those Israeli atheltes AT the Olympics wasn't random; it was because of their nationality. I think that commemorating the tragedy is necessary.

4. Ross

Ross Comrade

Jul 27, 2012

I still have very strong memories of the 1972 Munich Olympics and the reporting by Jim McKay. I was stunned along with the rest of the world at the tragedy unfolding at the games.

Good for Bob Costas for reminding everyone of the cost of lives in what was suppose to be a joining together of athletes from all over the globe.

I can't wait to watch the coverage tonight and the weeks to follow!

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2012

It was well before my time, but I am glad Costas is observing the moment of silence. I do so love him!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

Learn from the past...

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2012

Our Canadian broadcaster took the IOC to task for their decision to refuse the request for a minute of silence.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

I agree with the IOC on this. It has been recognized this week at some other smaller Olympic events. The opening ceremony was about celebrating unity, and those two countries are still involved in conflict, not to mention the rest of the world taking sides in their conflict. It was a terrible thing that happened, but people in other countries have seen more terrible things happen everyday in the years since then. The Olympics are a time of peace and a time to forget the terrible things.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2012

But this terrible thing happened AT the Olympics, live for all the world to see.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

I wonder if concessions were made by the IOC in order for certain countries to allow women to participate.

It was a couple years before my time, but my parents lived in Bavaria (Garmisch), so they well remember it.

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2012

I was in college at the time and I had some friends who had tried out for the Olympic team and they knew some of the US athletes. The worry that they showed just over the US athletes made us feel the terror.