Old School Readers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pandita Ramabai, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Pandita Ramabai

Pandita Ramabai Rookie

Mar 23, 2015

Do you collect old readers? I'm from New Zealand. I collect old books. I find old readers interesting. I have one from 100 years that I found in New Zealand. However, most of my readers are from the States. I'm in Indonesia now and I was able to purchase about 30 readers from Grade 1 until 7 which are from the late 40s early 50s. It's really interesting looking at these readers from a bygone era. It got me thinking about modern day America. Do any American teachers on this forum wish to comment about readers in America today. Do you guys still use them?

3. mkate

mkate Comrade

Mar 23, 2015

I used to love looking at my grandparents' old readers (unfortunately, I think at this point they are lost forever-- my surviving grandmother is 98 and in a nursing home, and all of that stuff has long since gone.) Also, I am now living in Spain so it is interesting to see my mother-in-law's old school readers-- she is 80 years old and grew up under the Franco dictatorship.

I also enjoy looking at old maps, with different countries and borders.

I think one interesting thing was how they condensed all subjects into one book (my MIL went to school in a one-room schoolhouse in a small village and has interesting stories to tell...)

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Mar 23, 2015

I actually have a few in my classroom I inherited from my grandmothers. The ones in better condition I even use for some of my struggling readers.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2015

I have school books from deceased relatives that are over 100 years old. They are interesting to look at. Overall, I wouldn't want to use them. They don't give much detail on how to do problems. Part of the problem was they were printed when paper was more expensive.

I do see some good in them. They get to the point and don't waste any space with any fluff or cutesy pictures.

6. Pandita Ramabai

Pandita Ramabai Rookie

Mar 24, 2015

Interesting. To the 3 writers above: thanks for sharing.