Old school formative assessment strategies....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Nov 27, 2019

I was observed by the P last week and we had a discussion about it during my planning period. He had left right as direct instruction was done and asked me, "How do you know if your students got it?" and I replied with, "I do the short paper." That is, I have pre-cut printer paper that have been cut in half along the hamburger fold. Every student gets a sheet and I write a few questions on the screen and they answer. After a certain amount of time passes, they pass their paper to someone else and I give the answer(s). This is what I call the "short paper." Whenever the students hear me say, "short paper," they groan.... ;)

Question is this..... Who else does the old school "short paper" method for formative assessments? And are there new school methods that don't take too much time for setup? I've heard of Kahoot and Plickers but I'd have to set these things up before my lesson. I figure going old school short paper at any moment is better than fumbling around with technology. Comments?

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 28, 2019

I’m not a fan of trading papers and scoring. I would either allow the students to self-check or collect the papers and check them myself. I don’t think you have to necessarily use technology for formative assessments, but your P may be looking for evidence that you pre-plan your assessments.

bella84 likes this.
  4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Habitué

Nov 28, 2019

Yep! I still use it at times. I don't have them pass it to a neighbor, but stress pencils down, so they won't make changes...lol I looked to see what grade you teach and couldn't find it. I have a few other quick non tech ways, but they'd only work w/ certain subjects and grade levels. If your kids grumble though, I'd avoid doing it during an observation....:) I'd say instead of "short paper" we are going to ____. They cheer and you look like the hero. :)

5. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Nov 28, 2019

If I read your principal’s question correctly he may want to know how you ensure students have “got it” during direct instruction before they are released for independent practice. In this case, he is looking for methods you use to “check for understanding” while you are teaching. Some lessons, especially lecture type, tend to follow an input-input-input-input-input-output format. The teacher does most of the work while students watch. Often, the teacher doesn’t know if students “got it” until the next day when homework is checked.

Other teachers subscribe to a see-say-do format. It looks like this: input-output-input-output-input-output. The teacher gives a small chunk of input then students “do” something with it while the teacher checks how they are doing. Some teachers use lap boards, paper or have students get out of seats and go to the board. Idea is to be able to scan quickly as many students as possible. With paper the teacher might input, students “do” then the teacher says “Show”. Students hold up their paper (written large per instruction) while teacher makes quick scan of class. This helps with pacing - move on or back up and reteach? Fred Jones spins it analogous to “quality control” on the assembly line or building the item correctly while workers are working on it as opposed to a supervisor at the end of the assembly line who checks the item then has to send it back to do over.

Backroads likes this.
  6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 8, 2019

I don’t really get what you’re saying. Why is the paper folded?

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Dec 8, 2019

I cut the paper in half and hand them out. That’s why I call them short paper.

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Dec 13, 2019

Echoing loomistrout, there's a time and place for lecture, but most good instructional segments do involve an opportunity for kids to participate/respond, offering at least informal opportunity for formative assessment. For example, in a choral reading direct instruction segment, you can make your rounds and listen as kids read.

Also, ongoing formative assessments that are not necessarily given immediately after the instructional segment should still be sensitive to skill development over time. For example, CBM oral reading fluency probes would detect individual phonics skill development.

It's also likely that no one method will fully do the job, but layered formative assessment opportunities (e.g., from informal, minute-to-minute teacher observation of student response, to more structured assessments) should get the job done.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  9. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Dec 14, 2019

AKA - exit slip.

bella84 likes this.
  10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Dec 15, 2019

It was in a geometry class when the P observed. In that one section that I taught, there were 4 theorems that had to be taught. I figured that it would be better for me to explain all the theorems, go back and give examples and how to apply them, and then check for understanding. I'm thinking that the P would have liked seeing me teach the 1st theorem, give examples, check for understanding, then move to the 2nd, give examples, check for understanding..... then 3rd and 4th..... But I wanted to get the theorems covered and worried that I might run out of time...