old principal called about opening....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mary1280, Aug 18, 2010.

1. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

I need to vent....

Picture it - the perfect school. :wub: Really great kids, a friendly and caring staff, there's great teamwork, a wonderful principal, a/c (lol!), I mean I could just go on and on...

I worked at this school about 3 or so months as a longterm sub back in early 2009. I had such a great experience there that I've been trying to come back permanently. That principal - who we'll call Mr. X, called me in April about a position but then the budget crisis happened and long story short, i didn't get the position. Then in July, my friend who's on the interview committee said that Mr. X brought my name up and said he was going to email me about another position. Never got an email :( Found out from that friend that the position had been filled.

Then last Friday, I get a call from Mr. X :D One of the Kindergarten teachers retired and how would I feel about coming back and teaching K (my dream grade!). He said it's a high ESL population and I told him that in Sept. I begin classes towards my ESL endorsement and how all my experiences in the classroom were with ESL students. He said he'll let me know by Wednesday. It's Wednesday and I still havent' heard anything back from him. :(

I have been a nervous wreck waiting for this phonecall. I'm just a ball of anxiety. What do you guys make of all this? I mean that's a good sign that he called in the first place, right??

3. StarrShine2

StarrShine2 Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

I would say that in this economy and with the teaching market as it is, everything is unpredictable.

I want to say it sounds like you have the position in the bag, the P called you, asked if you would be interested without even setting up an interview. But again, in this job market, things don't always work out as they seem.

I hope you get some good news. Good luck and keep us posted :)

4. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

It's still early. Don't lose hope. I hope you get your call.

5. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 18, 2010

When does school start in your area? I'd call the P today to see what's going on. Good luck.

6. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

School starts September 7th. I'll give him all of today and see if I hear anything. If not, I will defintely make the call tomorrow for sure. I need to run some errands or something, i'm going nuts just sitting here and waiting. :unsure:

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 18, 2010

Go do something that isn't school-related and hopefully he'll call soon. I'm hoping you'll have some good news to share with us! And if he doesn't call today, you have every right to call them tomorrow about it. You may even want to e-mail him tonight.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

Clean out your closets.

Right now.

I mean it. :p

9. BioAngel

Aug 18, 2010

Hmm...
    I actually have to do that myself :lol:

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2010

It's pretty much a guarantee that the phone will ring.

And, as an added bonus, you can get your teaching wardrobe organized for when you're offered the job :)

11. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Aug 18, 2010

Good luck!!

ps- I really like all of the animated faces that you used in your post to express your emotions.

12. mizzkaren

mizzkaren Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

He definitely has you on the mind to have brought you up for the 3rd time! Way to go!!! :D

As everyone else has said, even though he may really like you...the economy is rough and that leaves your chance as an unpredictable one. :huh:

Good luck and let us know what you hear right away!! IMO there is nothing wrong with calling tomorrow, as you have not received a word back from him by the time he set. It will show you're a go-getter. :)

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 18, 2010

Oh! So exciting!!! Good luck and best wishes! We are all rooting for you! Wow! This sounds good even though he is late. I think there is still hope! Do not give up!

14. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Aug 18, 2010

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement!

Update: still no phone call or email.
    Tomorrow I'll have to give him a call.

15. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

Called the principal just a few min. ago and left a msg on his voicemail. And now.....I wait.

Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

16. midwesttchr

midwesttchr Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

Oooooooh I hope he calls you soon! In the meantime, go through your bookshelves. Donate some books to the library. That way - even if, for some reason, you don't get the call, or a happy call, you still end the day on an accomplished note. :)

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2010

Hope you hear something soon!!!

18. mary1280

mary1280 Rookie

Aug 19, 2010

Didn't get the job.

I cried it out and I'm ok now.

He gave me some BS answer about why he picked this candidate and then said basically, she was African American and he wanted more african americans on his staff. My jaw dropped when i heard that one. First it was an ESL endorsement issue and now i'm not african american. I mean c'mon. (side note - he has a tendency to say things to me that probably should be kept to himself)

And then he finished the conversation with I'll keep looking out for you. :mad:
    This rollercoaster ride of potential jobs from him has to stop. If he had doubts about hiring me, why call in the first place. Why???! :confused:

19. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 19, 2010

Have you kept in touch with staff from the school? I know that we had a long term sub a few years back that we loved. We helped her with her resume, cover letter, everything. At the end of the year, we happened to have a vacancy come up on our team, and we lobbied very hard for her. We told our P that she would be perfect for the position because she was already familiar with the curriculum, we knew that she worked well with our team, and she had good behavior management. Our P snatched her up ASAP :)

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

Oh, I'm so sorry!

21. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 19, 2010

Wow. Probably not the reason he should have given you.

I'm so sorry you didn't get the job. I know how much it sucks, but keep your head up and I hope you find something!

22. BioAngel

Aug 19, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear this. :hugs:

Sadly, it's not the first time I've heard a person not be hired because they weren't African American. I thought we were suppose to be over the race thing. :mad:

23. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 19, 2010

Hugs! I am sorry.

24. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Aug 20, 2010

What a huge disappointment! *hugs encouragingly* But if he's worrying about that, he is not the right principal. He should be focusing on the particular skill set that his candidates have, not their race!

25. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 20, 2010

Sorry to hear about this-

1) Not all CPS principals are bad.
    2) The ESL thing is just coming down the pipeline for Pre-K / K and so there are a lot of rumors and falsehoods going around about it.
    3) I don't think they should have told you it was because of race, but at least at some point (and maybe it is still in effect) we were under a plan where the schools had to be a certain percentage of majority/minority staff.