OLD memory...but want today's solutions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by McKennaL, Sep 9, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 9, 2009

Ok.... don't know what brought this memory up...but it's here again...and i thought I might ask you (as a panel of teachers) how would this be handled in YOUR school.

This was back when my daughter was in 2nd or 3rd grade. (She's now 22.) As a child with A.D.D. (perhaps Asperger's..that has been mentioned recently- MAYBE...but not sure.), she was at times a handful. Not acting out in class...but a cross between creative and spacey. Eclectic-definitely an acquired taste! She wasn't with the popular crowd (and in our town- that is SO clichey THAT can be a death sentence-especially to the young) and thus teased and made fun of. (The school was a good one academically-but on a personal/social/psychological/emotional/all that sort of stuff level...I think it had a LONG way to go toward being a decent school.)

Well, I guess, on a bet this one boy snuck up behind her in the lunchroom and kissed her butt. The entire lunchroom errupted in laughter...and she was shamed about it for YEARS.

At the time..nothing was really done. The boy was told he was wrong...and that was the end. He wasn't made to apologize...and it was dropped (officially)...but as I say, she lived wtih it for years..and it was very very shameful.

I wan't happy about how it was handled...but i got no support from my ex (then husband - in fact he laughed too)...and at the time, i wasn't the bolder woman I am today- who would have gone in and gotten someTHING done (what? I dont' know.)

Again...it's an old memory. Nothing will be done with the answers...but I was just wondering how this might be handled today in other schools.

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Sep 9, 2009

Wow. I am sorry- something certainly should have been done. That is not okay. I think today with all of the laws and rules about being hands off and no touching- that student would be expelled or at least given in school suspension for a week. I mean, I would at least hope that would be true.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 9, 2009

That's just awful and one of those life events you don't forget.

Today, at my school, parents would be called and the kid would probably be suspended.

Did the teacher at the time do anything at all? Did she tolerate the endless teasing? It's tough being a kid.

5. holliday

holliday Comrade

Sep 10, 2009

In my district, that would be considered sexual harassment and he would be suspended. I'm so sorry your daughter had to experience that. I wonder if the boy who did it regrets it now. It may be something that haunts him, too (or is that wishful thinking?).