Old Maid?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Apr 22, 2009.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 22, 2009

So one of my students slipped in the classroom today and was a little upset, ego bruised more than her knees. I said "you know what Ms. Smith (one of our administrators) always says "oh, you'll live to get married". And she looks at me all serious and says "no, actually Ms. KC, I'm going to be like you - I'm never getting married!".

My kids ask me if I have a husband and kids and I tell them no, but never intimated that I was against it or anything. A 5-year old has me pegged for an old maid already, unbelievable :eek:hmy:- I laughed out loud, thought I would share.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2009

:)

4. capfortune

capfortune Rookie

Apr 23, 2009

I once told the kids in my class I was 73 years old......and they believed me.....how old do I look to kids.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Apr 23, 2009

That's right up there with my "favorite" compliment.

A 7 year old girl said to me, "Ms. Rain, that's a very pretty top!"

"Why thank you!"

"Yeah, my grandma has one just like it!"

Uhm.... oh... well..... uhm.... thanks?

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2009

We were looking at pictures of ancient petroglyphs and one girl was saying something about how they looked like they had been there a long time, since before I was born. At least my other kids protested that. They said, "She's not that old! Of course they've been there that long!" Lol. I'm only 24.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 24, 2009

I was telling my kids that I am doing Weight Watchers, and one boy innocently said to me: but we won't recognize you if you get skinny!
    Gotta love kids......

8. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2009

I've posted this before, but a 10th grader once innocently told me that I must have been good looking when I was young. He truly thought he was giving me a compliment!

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 25, 2009

I'm glad you were able to laugh if off. I don't generally let what the kids say bother me, I just kind of give it back to them. I had one of my 5ths say I used to be really pretty in high school (the school is right next door and they found my senior photo in the wall album.) I can't remember what I said, but it was something to the effect that the words "used to be" generally mean "not any more". They weren't trying to be rude and we laughed and moved on.

I WOULD be upset to hear that a co-worker was saying things like that about me. There are a couple on staff that like to make "jokes" that often come off as rude. And they don't know when to quit, so it becomes hurtful.

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 26, 2009

I'm only in my mid-30's! I haven't written myself off yet, it just surprised me a 5-year old had and not only that, she wanted to do it too!

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 26, 2009

I'm in my mid-30's too and the best compliment I got this year was from a 5th grade boy. He wrote down on a piece of paper that I was the teacher's hot new girlfriend. I just started working for that teacher a few weeks before. We both thought it was funny and laughed about it. A few weeks later though he had to put a cork in it because one of the boys asked him if he was popular with the ladies. The teacher asked him why he would think that. He said because "Ms. Cutnglue likes you." He's a perceptive kid. I do really like this teacher but not like that. The both of us are happily married.

12. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 27, 2009

:hijack:
    I have a coworker who, for the last month, has been hellbent on setting me up with various guys and trying to "get me hitched". We have been going through the DARE program this semester and she decided the DARE officer might be a good candidate. So she asked me to send one of my girls down to her room to help her with a project. Unbeknownst to me, she told this girl to write questions for the DARE box for the officer to find out if he is single or not. The girl came back to the room and put some questions in the box. Then when we were getting ready to go home and she says real loud "Miss R, do you want to date the DARE officer? IF you get married, can I come to the wedding?" I wanted to die. Her questions were (because I took them out) Do you have kids? and Do you have a girlfriend. Sometimes dying alone doesn't sound all that bad.

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

These posts are so funny, gotta love the kids. Be sure you never ask them how old they think you are!