Old Cookbooks

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Danny'sNanny, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2006

I'm so excited! I've been looking for a cookbook that went out of print in 1986 for 2 years, and I just found it for $4... And there's another one that went out of print in the 70's that my auntie is trying to find for each of her kids, she hasn't seen one in years and I just bought three for $2.44 apiece!
    (Ok, I know it's cheesy that I collect old cookbooks, but I think they're so much fun!!)

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2006

I actually ended up paying more in shipping than I did for the books themselves, lol. But I got 5 out of print books for $31 when you count the shipping.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 23, 2006

My mother collected cookbooks. I have her oldest one - "Watkins Cook Book." I think that it was printed in 1951.

At the back of the book, it lists - "Well-Balanced Meals Essential to Health." For each meal a person should have:
    one protein
    two fats
    one or two vitamins (vegetables, fruits, liver, eggs, sugar, nuts, etc.)
    at least two carbohydrates
    one sweet (for energy)
    two dissolvents (liquids)
    one tonic food (for bulk - spinach, cabbage, cereals, bran)

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2006

My all-time favorite is a Campbells Soup cookbook from the 1960s. It says that a can of soup should feed a family of four! I also love that it has a chapter on what to feed your teenager's dates- one of the recipies is split pea soup to warm them after a night of ice skating.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 23, 2006

Another cookbook I have is "Cooking with Dr. Pepper and 7-Up." It is 86 pages long!!!

7. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Feb 23, 2006

I collect cookbooks, too. My favorite is the White House Cook Book from the turn of the century. Using this book, you can butcher any animal and use every last bit of it for something, arrange your furniture in healthful air-current ways, learn a few French phrases for impressing people, and build your own milk pasteurizer. It's awesome; it's like a glimpse through a timescope to an era long gone. I also like cookbooks put out by old church ladies.

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 24, 2006

I love my cookbooks!! I have a very extensive collection. I have some very old ones. I read them like novels.

I do like the church and community cookbooks. I have a freind that was helping to put together a school fundraiser cookbook but she was not getting very many submissions, so I helped her out and submitted a recipe for each of my kids and husband, its fun to see our names in there.

I love looking in our second hand bookstore and of course e-bay.

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 24, 2006

the very first item I was bidding on at e-bay was a small cookbook with kid's cakes, my husband got in on the action and started bidding against this other lady (very compettitive) he bid until he won the book for me, its not worth what we paid, and have since seen the book a few times.:rolleyes:

10. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2006

Glenda,
    My auntie has the Watkins Household hints book from 1941. I read it all the way through last night after you mentioned the cookbook. It was wonderful. My auntie and I liked it so much that now we're going to buy the cookbook!
    I loved this one part where it talked about how important housewives are for national security- a country is not safe unless it's people are strong and well fed!

11. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Feb 25, 2006

I love old cookbooks... At a garage sale, my mother bought some granny's recipe box, a real treasure. We found a pamphlet with all these insane recipes using white bread...

I think you can order old cookbooks and stuff like that from
    oldcookbooks.com

12. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2006

Lanie, I just went to that site and looked up the 1953 edition of The Joy of Cooking- I bought it for 5 cents at a yard sale, it's selling for $58!
    I think I'm developing a slight cookbook addiction...

13. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Feb 25, 2006

Wow - our house if filled with cookbooks that my husband has collected over the years. I don't really get into them, but he does. I had no idea that this was something that other people collected too!

He has a few that were his great grand mother's from goodness knows when. We laugh at the ingredients a lot!

Kelly :)
    http://www.mrsmikesell.com

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 25, 2006

My Watkins Cook Book has a chapter called "Foods for Invalids." It has some typical recipes. Then there are recipes for Corn Meal Gruel, Egg Lemonade, Tapioca Jelly, Fermanlactol Milk, Chicken Custard, Plain Rice Pudding for Invalids, and Wine Whey. :eek:

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Feb 25, 2006

Oh, in the Watkins Household Hints, there is a chapter on taking care of invalids. One of the tips- don't share with them the menu you are planning. That way they can look forward to the surprise. I'm not sure I would want to be surprised with Fermanlactol Milk! :)

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 25, 2006

I guess being surprised is good for invalids!!! :)

The chapter on invalids starts off with:
    The preparation and serving of food is of special importance in illness. Food for invalids should be perfectly cooked, attractively served, suited to the digestives powers of the patient.
    Arrange t he tray as daintily as possible. Use the best china. Serve hot dishes hot; cold dishes cold.
    Serve one course at a time. Have surprise food for patients.
    In contagious diseases all dishes, plates, silver, etc., should be sterilized.

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 25, 2006

I have an old Good Housekeeping cookbook my mom gave to me......it is sentimental, and not in great condition. I'd love to be able to locate the date of it.......I believe it is from the 1940's. I also have an old cookbook from my mother in law from 1952. It is the Anniversary addition of Slovak-American cook book. Speaking of collecting things.......I love old cookie jars, too.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 25, 2006

I love old cookbooks, too. I have The Modern Family CookBook by Meta Given (first published iN 1942), The American Woman's Cookbook (1944), Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook - the red one in a ring binder (1950). I love the illustrations!

I also have a Housewife's Handbook from 1953. It has a section on "Care and Repair of Household Appliances" and offers to bring you the "4 Great Freedoms every American housewife wants: Freedom from Housekeeping Boredom - Freedom from Fatigue - Freedom from Money-Worries - Freedom of Leisure Time". I kid you not!

19. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Feb 26, 2006

lol, my mom collects cookbooks, i don't know who'll she give them to when she passes on, maybe my sister-in-law and i will split them because neither one of us will have room for all of them! she has literally thousands of them. the last time she counted them was before i was born, i'm 20, and she gets several every other week. so about 10-20 a month for 20 years, gosh.... what will we do them all!

20. willibe

willibe Rookie

Feb 28, 2006

I have my grandmother's old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, then I have the one I got a few years ago when I got married. It's great to look through them side by side and see how things have changed! Sometimes you can find a recipe by the same name that has been updated to be more health-conscious for today. Call me crazy, but a lot of the time the old recipes sound so much better...:p

21. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Feb 28, 2006

I have the first pillsbury bake off books

22. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Feb 28, 2006

And to think... I just kicked got over dragging home fifty or seventy five year old books (of all kinds... I love books). I guess garage sale season is just around the corner. sheesh.

23. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Feb 28, 2006

I recently found GG's (my great grandma's) recipe for wheat bread hand written in the cookbook my grandma gave me (Titled "Mom's real good bread"). It was the first cook book gramma bought after she got married (though years after actually) copyright 1950 and it was stuffed full of magazine and handwritten (grandma's and friend's) recipes (just like my own cookbook). If gramps hadn't died 2 years ago they would have been married 63 years in January! The great thing about finding GG's recipe is that gramma just told us the story of how GG made the best bread. Whenever the preacher was making his rounds (to the parishoner's homes) he'd stop into theirs for some fresh baked bread. It sounds like he'd stop as often as possible. Well GG would whisper, "Mart (gramma) go get a pint of milk." She'd hand her some change. They were really poor (the only ones on their block without an indoor toilet), but of course they wouldn't let the preacher eat bread without milk!

I recently baked a devil's food cake from the book in two 8" rounds. I intended to frost them up into one nice pretty cake to take to a friend's house. Well I ate one in a matter of hours (yep I'm an oinker). My friend said her family wolfed it down too and then confessed she ate most of theirs. I was telling the story to some friends and accidentally said that I'd eaten one layer of a two layer cake and given the other to my friend. Well they couldn't figure out how I ate off one layer and then gave it away. LOL