Old calendars

Discussion in 'General Education' started by becky, Jul 16, 2009.

1. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

I'm cleaning out my school stuff. I have a bunch of beautiful and interesting calendars that I want some ideas for. My intent was to have Jeannie write a caption or very short dialogue for the pictures, but that didn't last long. These are from places like the National Humane Society, National Wildlife Association, and some random ones with things like children or cars.

3. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 16, 2009

I have taken old calendar pictures and turned them into centers. I pasted the page to a solid color, cut the page into puzzle pieces and then put questions on one piece with the answer(s) on the adjoining piece(s).

I've done math, classifying and novel review questions.

4. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

Use them as pictures..find a picture frame and put them around the room. Use the NHS and NWA as teaching tools if you talk about certain animals you can use the pictures as visuals.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

Writing from a picture is a writing lesson that many teach (and such tasks are often on standardized tests:eek:)- unfortunately landscapes and wildlife photos aren't the best kind of pictures from which to start to teach this kind of writing...Perhaps J could use as inspiration for her own art, or you could donate to an art teacher...

6. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 16, 2009

Some people at my school used them to decorate staff bathrooms-some with quotes. Then they put things like a little table cloth on a desk, a bucket of candy, lotion, body spray, air fresheners. It was nice!

7. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

Oh, I thought they would be great to write from, because these pictures aren't just a picture of an animal looking at the camera. One picture I saw this morning had a cat peering out from under a blooming hydrangea bush. Another showed an owl winking. Still another showed a boy and a dog on a sled going downhill, with the boy looking remorseful and the dog looking happy as a clam. These are excellent pictures, and I kept about 4 of the over a dozen I'd been saving.

8. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

My MIL does this! She even uses ads for plates or figurines that she gets in the mail. She gave me an extra nice one once that I thought was a Thomas Kincaid, and here it was an ad from the Hamilton Collection!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

The boy and the dog one sounds good...Action photos or ones that just seem to 'tell a story' are best for this kind of writing-especially in the beginning stages. What kinds of lessons have you planned for teaching J to write in response to a picture?

10. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

I didn't really plan anything, to be honest.
    I wanted to do this in part for handwriting practice, hoping she'd cooperate if she had these cute pictures to write something for. Why sit with dull cursive sheets if you could practice using an adorable cat picture?

We've only done this once or twice, really. I once gave her a picture of this tubby cat that was sitting on a computer keyboard, looking bored stiff. I told her I wanted her to write him a speech bubble. I told her to really look into his face and think of how he might be feeling, what he might be saying to himself. I forget what she wrote anymore, but her evaluator thought it was cute when he saw it.

Since she likes comics, I've had her rewrite dialogue for those, too. That wasn't so easy, cause she got stuck on what was already written for them.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2009

Kids generally write best from their lives or if they can make a personal connection to the material to which they are responding. If this is an important skill for you to cover, why not practice with some oral story telling or create a 'story telling' graphic organizer to help J organize her thoughts? She just may not know HOW to do this kind of writing and needs some more direction... If it's merely a dialog box or speech bubble that you are looking for, do you think it's that J is trying too hard to be funny and just getting stuck? In that case, maybe you could get some compilations of comics from the library or look in the paper at the one panel kinds of comics- Ziggy comes to mind...

12. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2009

I still remember my 6th grade teacher doing this with us! She had lots of interesting pictures lined up on the chalkboard. We were to go and get one and write a story about it.

I got a picture of 2 little girls in the woods; it was alot of fun! I love what you're planning to do, Becky! :thumb:

13. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

I think it's fun, too, cause she can get as silly with this as she wants to!

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 17, 2009

Becky,
    When my son was in elementary, several of his teachers requested spiral notebooks (be used as their journals) on the school list.
    As students walked into class (the case w/many of his teachers), the kids noted the keyword/sentence on the chalkboard....whether it be...Write about your favorite team...Parachutes....What is the funniest thing that happened to you? etc..
    Students would write in their journal, one page as they settled into class or whenever they had time between work/subjects...they could also include a drawing.
    The point was to get them to write...hence, journal.
    I think it's a fabulous idea.