Okay, what are your first day plans?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by hojalata, Aug 19, 2007.

1. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

I've finally come to terms with the fact that school starts very soon and I need to decide what I am doing my first day. (It's a half day) This is my first time teaching 1st. I know we will go over procedures a lot (the whole week), but I'm not sure what else. What are your plans/activities for the first day? I need some inspiration :)

3. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Aug 19, 2007

Read Alouds, Math Review, Letter Review. Check out the Playdough forum. There is an awesome idea involving playdough for the first day. I used the idea and my students absolutely LOVED it.

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Aug 19, 2007

I am curious, too! I taught middle school last year, and I'm going to be teaching first this year (yay! I student taught first, but during the winter when the students had already been in their room for a few months). I would love some ideas as well. :)

5. 1stGr8

1stGr8 Companion

Aug 20, 2007

I read The Kissing Hand. We discuss our feelings about coming to school, etc. Then I use blank puzzles and they make a handprint puzzle with a heart in the middle to take home. A lot of the day is procedures. I also usually do a first grade poem to introduce our poetry books. We read the poem and introduce the term "visualize". They then glue it in their journals.

6. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

I'll be reading a few books aloud throughout the day- 1st Day Jitters, Chrysanthemum, Officer Buckle & Gloria. We'll be practicing over and over again one at a time and two at a time how to put things away when we enter the classroom, how to get a new pencil, how to go to the bathroom (you know what I mean)... it seems like it's stuff they shouldn't need to practice, but they do!
    They'll also draw a "me on the first day of school" picture (and save half the paper for a last day drawing at the end of the year).

7. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Aug 20, 2007

A lot of my time will be spent going over everything. For example, how my behavior management will go. I am also doing a classwide reward system where they can earn marbles in a jar and after they reach a certain amount they will be able to do something fun. I will let them give me ideas on what they would like to be rewarded with. Not to mention going over rules and schedule etc. I will also pass out any books that they need. I am also planning on doing some read alouds with them. I also want to do a small writing assignment with them where I will write on the board something like My favorite color is ___ and they have to fill in the blank just so I can get to know them better. I might play some BINGO games or something with them the first day as well.

8. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

I just have a few of my "must do" tasks...
    *Have something on their desks to do when they arrive. I have a dot to dot and a pencil on their desks. It's usually a little crazy as they find their seats and this buys you some time to help those who need it.
    *I take a tour of the school after about a half hour. First stop, the bathrooms! I make everyone go in (groups of 4 each). I bring a stack of pictures (me in school, pics of my dog, etc.) to show the ones who are waiting.
    *I always have something they can take home on the first day. I have a simple little book where we fill in how many boys, girls are in our class, our room is #___, my teacher's name is ___, etc.
    *I have a writing assignment that I keep to put in their memory books. I do this in two parts. First, on the overhead, I write with them:
    Today is September 4, 2007.
    It is my first day in first grade.
    I am 6 years old.
    Then, we move to the carpet and sing or read a book. Then, they go back to their seats to draw the picture.
    It's great to have something like this to show all the amazing progress they make!
    *While they are drawing their pictures, I take a picture of them on their first day.
    *At the end of the day, I do the playdough activity (look in that thread). I have done it every year of my teaching career and it has been a hit!! I post my recipe tomorrow (I have to get it from my room).
    *Make sure you drink a lot of water. You will be doing a lot of talking!

It will go by very fast!!
    Carrie