Okay- my turn to freak!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by trayums, Aug 12, 2008.

1. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

:eek: I just went to my school to see if my room was ready to start setting up. hahahahahahaha They ripped the carpet out this summer and put in tile flooring (which looks nice). Well, they took out my built in cabinets and half of the stuff they asked us to pile up on those shelves is missing. I walked past the gym on my way out and saw a bunch of my stuff underneath gym equiptment. UGH!!!!!!! Sorry just needed to vent! I am trying to remain calm but-- the school doesn't look ready in any way, shape or form for school to start in two weeks. HOLY MOLY!

:(

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 12, 2008

That happened to me last year. Several classrooms worth of materials got put in my room when the other rooms were being redone. Along with their materials were boxes and boxes of materials from the attic that were going to be given away/recycled. When they moved all the trash to the front yard, a bunch of my materials went with the junk. I spent a day digging through piles and piles to find my books. Several things never did turn up, including my pink homework basket that I had had for years. My director replaced what was missing, but it was major trauma.

4. ABL

ABL Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

I feel your pain, but in a slightly opposite way. I finally got into my room yesterday, and as it was the storage room for years, I have boxes upon boxes of outdated curriculum (stamped obsolete), soccer goals, hockey sticks, and pretty much anything every other teacher at the doesn't want. I put it all in a pile (which stretches about 8 ft in each direction) and the janitor doesn't know what we should do with it, so there it sits. In addition, they tore out two of my blackboards, so now I have gaping sections of my wall with naked wood :(.

I have no idea how it'll be classroom ready in less than 2 weeks!

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

SorryTrayums! I hope that your stuff all turns up, even if it takes some time to dig through. Can you call in reinforcements for help?
    ABL, are they going to put something up on the walls or should you decorate over them? OOOOhhh, or could you paint them?

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

A suggestion I got from a teacher the first time I packed up my room, I label the boxes on more than one side, and put my name and where it is supposed to be and box 1 of whatever.....I haven't lost anything yet and it makes the custodians happy.

7. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 12, 2008

Yes, I also label EVERYTHING...even though my custodian says it isn't necessary.

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 12, 2008

I'm so sorry this happened. I hope everything turns up.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

I think I'll recruit my mom and best friend... they'll keep me sane!! Thanks for the calming words. I feel much better now... :)

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

I did. But-- the things that were in the hall by the gym were things that were put on shelves that are attached to the floor. Well-- i guess they decided to rip those up and move the stuff. Blah!!! :lol:

11. ABL

ABL Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

teacher c- talked to the principal, and it sounds like I'm not allowed to paint and no replacements will be put in until after school starts, so I"ll need to fabricate 'fake' bulletin boards (make them pretty but can't put anything up with push pins, to make it look pretty until I get something real to put there, or get people to paint them :p

12. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 12, 2008

I feel your pain! We got a new principal this year and she is getting the school painted, finally! It has been 10 plus years, so it needed it. However, no one bothered to paint in the summer, they are painting now. School starts for teachers tomorrow and on Thursday I have a session of 75 teachers for a 2 day math in-service and they are painting the cafeteria, which is where I am supposed to present. How in the world can they paint while I'm presenting????? They have open buckets of paint and scaffolding in there. They better bust some bootie and get it done tomorrow, that's all I'm saying! ha!

13. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

Oh man!!!!! Hoping they get their buns in gear and paint that cafeteria for you!

14. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 12, 2008

I know! I may just help them out! ha! Also, they think they are going to paint the hall after school starts.. Um, hello! Kids will touch the wet paint. It's an elementary school for goodness sakes! Where were these people all summer? Why wait until 1 1/2 weeks until school starts to paint?

15. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2008

Sorry if we're derailing the thread, but we've had painters in our building during the school year. If you think about it, they are 12-month employees. They have to paint during the school year. They can't do it all in the summer. We're an elementary school, too, and it worked out fine and no children got any paint on them!

Saying that, I had painters in my classroom just days before school started last year. I had already set up my room and had to take everything off of my walls. :eek: The room looks nice, but it was so stressful having to put everything up twice.

Hope you recover everything, trayums!

16. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2008

:lol: I don't mind derailing! NOOO prob. :)
    Thanks all!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 13, 2008

Did you know they would be painting in advance? That is to say, were they contracted just now or had they known about this job for a while and just put it off? I would be furious. We almost had to deal with that this year, but they must have finished just before teachers came back. It still smells fresh in some parts of the building. I can remember more than a couple years when the teachers came back and the janitors were just getting around to waxing the hallways. They had pretty much slacked off all summer. One had the gall to get snippy with me when I walked on his "primed (wet mopped) floor" and he had to redo it. "How am I supposed to wax these floors when you keep walking on the priming?" "Why aren't they done? You've had two months!"

18. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

As much as I would like my room painted again (It was done like 5 years ago in this horrid blue that won't match or coordinate with anything), the painters really weren't paying attention and painted over EVERYTHING...all of our cabinets and closets (so they all got stuck together), even over bulletin boards so they are all blue, and obviously they don't have time to tape, so in some rooms it dripped down on the floor, cabinets, etc. They really did a shabby job. I think I nice white would look so much cleaner! (Or at least a nice blue!)

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2008

HEHE, it seems like your district is doing good for the world and hired blind painters......you know the ones whose eyes work but not much else. Consider it charity work, someone has to hire them!

Oh shesh, seriously, did the district really pay them for that work? How about deductions for the damage they caused? I really don't think that custodians would behave that way, seeing as someone will complain and they will have to answer for it. Sounds like the room was a mess.

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 13, 2008

O my goodness!!!! I feel so bad for you! If that was me and my stuff I would be so POed!!! I would go talk to your principal if you can!