Okay, I'm broke- any suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by AngelaS, May 11, 2003.

1. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 11, 2003

Do any of you tutor? How did you get your clientele? Any good strategies to attract parents? I do not teach in a wealthy area but am very near several, so I think I would get a better response from outside the school. The going rate here is about $30/hr, sometimes more, so even one or two kids would help a lot.

I'm not interested in Sylvan or Huntington because the pay is crappy. I will be teaching summer school part time at my regular wage, and I'll have Fridays, evenings, and weekends to try to get some extra cash.

Anyone have any good ideas? It doesn't even have to be in the teaching field, but I want very short hours (1-10 a week) so I can enjoy my summer and not be burned out during the school year). Thank you!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 11, 2003

A good place to advertise is in newsletters which go to self-contained neighborhoods. See if there is a child care resource and referral agency which would take your information. Even child care centers in ritzy areas - for kids who will enter K or 1. Maybe the public school summer camps would have a bulletin board or newsletter.

I, myself, am planning to do as many summer tutoring hours as possible in 3 days a week. The kids will all be from my school, though, and I will work from school. School takes no % and is happy to offer the opportunity. Good luck.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

May 13, 2003

summer educational program

I am under no circumstances suggesting you run a summer camp. BUT, my county isnt having summer school and one of the ideas i had was to offer a tutorial from the class list or grade level list. Create a code calling card like a postcard and send it to the 'moms' of the school. I also think that if you are available for time in your day to offer 'morning camp' where you would tutor for some hour and half and show educational movies to a 'book you read with student' or a cool science topic, do experiments in the house, go to library, bake (using measurements)in your kitchen, or take to museum etc... I personally have my own two kids and they are both going to camp (NOT mommy camp) I have to find projects to keep me busy in the summer and I am going to make a weight loss effort/exercise regimen and also a lot of computer related stuff.

5. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

May 13, 2003

WOW! Interesting idea... I'll have to think about that...

6. Guest

Guest Guest

May 28, 2003

I have found a great way to make money. Just get 50 female pigs and 50 male deer. Right there you have a hundred sows and bucks.
    ...Phil from Missouri

7. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 29, 2003

Great ideas! I agree with mommaruthie.. she has some good ideas... Let us know if you try them