Okay, I get it

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 29, 2011

I'm often a little bit put off by some attitudes toward subs on this board and by teachers whom I've worked with. As a sub, I work my tail off to do a great job and I desperately want a full time room of my own.

However, I'm on an LTS job that has me working with small groups in several classrooms on a daily basis. I go from room to room, so I'm finally in a position to see how things work on a daily basis and really witness the difference in the students' behavior when a sub is there.

"Interesting" would be an understatement. I've seen one sub who was gangbusters. She was awesome with the kindergarten class and they seemed to adore her. I've also seen subs who have no clue what is going on. I saw one who I can only describe as "mean," and not in the student definition of mean. She was not someone I'd want teaching a class my child was in. And when I go in, I've had subs complain to me about the lesson plan the teacher left. I'm not sure if they think I can help them, or if they're venting, but for all they know, I'm reporting what they say word for word to a colleague, so it surprises me that they'd complain to as stranger.

I've also witnessed the difference in the kids. If I'd ever believed before that students take advantage of subs, that belief has been solidly backed up by what I've seen. One 5th grade class that is known as the most disciplined in the school could be heard way down the hall when they had a sub. Even the little ones politely explained to me one day that they were loud because there was a different teacher there.

So...yeah, I've seen some bad subs. I've seen good subs. I've seen classes act up, and I can now see from a different perspective why it's so difficult to do this job!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2011

It sounds like you're subbing for some kind of reading recovery or RSP teacher, am I right? I agree. I've been a sub for about 10 yrs now & I've had the opportunities to do numerous LT assignments where I've seen how kids act when there's a different face in the room. Sometimes, even the well behaved kids get a little crazy. And it's only natural because they're kids & kids don't have the skills or mental ability to hide their feelings & actions when there's a different person that they're working with. I never assumed that being a sub is easy. But, unfortunately, there's always those teachers who undermine subs & don't think much of them.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

Thank you for having the guts to say you've changed your mind.

5. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 30, 2011

I wouldn't say I've changed my mind about anything. It's more a case of the experience cementing my belief that there are way too many people subbing who need to get out of the way to open up jobs for people like me who really take the job to heart and are determined to do a good job. Likewise, I've really seen how the behavior of regularly "good" kids can swing to another extreme when they think they have more leeway to do things they're not supposed to do. The latter has made me realize that I need to be even harder on the classes when I'm subbing. I sometimes think the classroom teacher might actually tolerate the buzz of talk.

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 30, 2011

Yes, there are teachers who undermine subs. Why everyone can't just cooperate and work together in a common cause is beyond me. It's tiring to watch your back all the time.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

I think that many teachers and administrators do not value each other's professional opinions and practices.

When I have a sub, I take everything to heart as these people see the true colors of my students. They also do not write things down unless it is truly necessary.

However, if I hear from other staff and watch other subs around the building not doing a good job at teaching and classroom management, I know that this sub may not be one to truly trust in the note they leave.

It's hard when some of our subs have 4 year teaching degrees or masters, while others have nothing more than a high school diploma or a few college credits....

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2011

I haven't run into ANY conflict or trouble being a sub. I just do my job & go home.

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2011

I have to share this...

I was teaching 4th grade about 5 years ago, well I cut about 8 inches off of my hair, when the students came in in the AM, about 8 of them...I was writing on the board. Well the students saw short hair and went wild! Woah, Yes! We have sub...loud and totally out of character....you should've seen their face when I turned around!

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2011

Students will definitely test their limits with subs...

11. Subber

Subber Companion

Mar 31, 2011

What are you talking about? Was it her mind or was it what she saw and knew?

12. Subber

Subber Companion

Mar 31, 2011

I thought that subs are required to have at least a Bachelor degree.

13. Subber

Subber Companion

Mar 31, 2011

Thank you for sharing this. Some teachers seem to have NO clue how their little angels turn into something else when there is a sub.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2011

LOL! I love this. I think EVERY teacher should do a little "test" like this. If they don't cut their hair, they should put on a wig & have their back turned just to see what the kids do! :D

Regarding what mopar said, no one know what kind of education a sub has, meaning it could be the very minimum or up to a Masters like mopar said, but other people don't know that, so they just treat all subs the same. There were times, I've mentioned that I have my MA, but not to brag, but because the topic of conversation came up at the time.

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 31, 2011

You just need to be a high school grad. and take a course that was a few hours long in the county that I taught in, in Georgia.

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 31, 2011

I think most of us know what are students do when we are absent. We might be in "disbelief" that they think that we would not find out about it on our return but the majority of us know that our students act differently when we are not there. I run a tight ship in my class room and my students do overrun sweet natured, I'll give you 5 chances type of subs...could be b/c all of my students have severe behaviors and subs are afraid of setting them off.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 31, 2011

Yes, it's different qualifications in diff states. In CA, you need a BA/BS in something, passing of CBEST, TB test, fingerprinting, & pay for emergency credential.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

In Ontario, you must be a qualified teacher.

19. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 31, 2011

LOL...my SOP is to do my job and stay under the radar. I know you're supposed to make connections and chat the staff up, but you really have to be careful about who you align yourself with in certain situations. It's not the best idea to get involved in the drama...ever :lol:

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2011

Yeah, I've been subbing about 10 yrs & I've probably actually sat & eaten lunch in the teachers' lounge a total of probably 10-15 times. I like the peace & quiet of staying in the classroom reading my many magazines. I'm a very solitary person anyway.

21. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 2, 2011

Not like that in CA. But some kids do not know that subs have a college degree.

22. Subber

Subber Companion

Apr 2, 2011

Same here. I only go to the staff lounge if I need to use microwave.

23. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 2, 2011

Most do not know. Why should that buy you any more respect than just "I am an adult and I am in charge." It shouldn't matter if you have a PhD and run your own company or if you dropped out in 10th grade. If you are the adult, the students should listen.

There was a para at a school where I worked, and she had terrible control of a classroom. The principal was always telling the kids, "Mrs. So-and-so went to college. She has a degree. You need to listen to her." The kids were 7 years old and didn't care who you were. If they could walk all over you because you weren't firm and had no control, they were going to.

24. azure

azure Companion

Apr 2, 2011

No, in my state you do not need a Bachelor's degree to sub.

25. mshdb2002

mshdb2002 Rookie

Apr 23, 2011

In my district of KY you only have to have 64 college credits. I am another one that stays in the room during lunch or planning periods instead of going to the teachers lounge...I don't want to be put in any situation where I over hear something or become involve in any drama, because sadly not all teachers/staff of schools handle themselves professionally during their "free time."

Case in point, a few weeks ago one of the elementary schools in our district fell victim to an arsonist. The day of the fire I subbed at our middle school and made a quick trip into the lounge for a drink and to use the restroom....when I walked out of the restroom a group of 5 teachers were talking about the fire and laughing about how things might turn out for this school. I was utterly disappointed in these teachers and thought how can you laugh about something that has diplaced 200 students for two weeks.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2011

What one sees and experiences is what changes one's mind.

In terms of undermining...good subs are worth their weight in gold. At least in my district, good subs are highly requested by name and highly regarded. Teachers feel confident that their classes are in good hands and the kids have a good day, get work done with minimal behavior blips...those kinds of subs need not worry. In fact two such subs were hired for full time classroom jobs in my district in recent years. Subs who think it's an easy job, don't have management skills, ignore the teacher's plan...they won't be invited back too often. In fact, some teachers will have such subs put on their 'never this sub' list...call that undermining if you will. I see it as protecting a strong academic program and insuring students are safe, well cared for, and learning.