Okay I am a sub, now what's next?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by pkhan, Sep 28, 2005.

1. pkhan

pkhan Rookie

Sep 28, 2005

I signed all the papers today at Newark, ca. The coordimnator said I can log in their phone system from three this afternoon. Can you guide me as to how do I conduct the first day, the tips and the tricks. Also in their hand book was a sentence that I should have an 'emergency lesson plan'. Where can I get these plans? All the help will be really appreciated. I am so happy that this site is here, Its helping me with the cset and now with the sub questions. Really great site.

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Sep 28, 2005

You may want to try the book Super Sub: A Must-Have Handbook for Substitute Teachers by Cary Seeman and Shannon Hofstrand. it's chalked full of lesson plans but maily for grades K-6th.

I wouldn't worry too much about emergency plans because most teachers, at least where I am, leave sub plans. 99.9% of the time I have a sub folder. There's only been one time since I've started subbing where I wasn't leaft a sub folder. luckily, the book she wrote all of her lesson plans in was nearby and I just went off of what she had written in there.

4. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Sep 28, 2005

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2005

I have rarely been left without lesson plans. Mainly it's the materials for some of the older student classes, such as measuring sticks, graph paper, and that kind of stuff. Most of the time if you go to the next door teacher they will either know were the teacher keeps it or they will just let them use theirs. For elementary I would day I have never been left without plans or materials.

6. SYMBOLSTeacher

SYMBOLSTeacher Rookie

Sep 29, 2005

I think it is great that the majority of the previous posters have not been "burned".... However, I would plan to bring along a situational agenda. This means developing self-contained, age-appropriate "units" that you can count on as an "insurance policy" if you are left hanging. Most character development type themes and activities are a safe and engaging.

The reality is... if you are in a sitution that you are left to "fend for yourself" the absent teacher does not have a lot of leverage to say you did not follow the lesson plan.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 2, 2005

I've been a sub for quite a while & from what I've experienced, you should always bring something the kids can do on their own w/o any help, but is pretty time consuming...a whole other lesson isn't necessary, but something like a word search is great. Practically all kids of any grade level know how to do them. It's important to bring things like this because I've found that the lesson plan the teacher leaves isn't always done in the time period that he/she says. I try to stretch it out as long as I can, but sometimes, you may finish a lesson & there may be 30 minutes left before they go to lunch for example. Basically, at times, you need busy seatwork to kill that time, but not have it hard where they're all raising their hand for you to help them.

8. pkhan

pkhan Rookie

Oct 2, 2005

behsci, thanks for your great idea, but what excatly is 'word search' can you please elaborate. sorry to bother and thanks.

9. Hnana

Hnana Rookie

Oct 2, 2005

Just go the This website's home page. Click on the Printables tab. Select Wsord Puzzles. You will see a list that includes word searches. Check them out. That is easier than explaining what a Word Search is.

10. pkhan

pkhan Rookie

Oct 3, 2005

Thanks Hnana, I got it. I myself enjoy these in the newspapers, but just could not recall at the moment. Thanks.

11. pkhan

pkhan Rookie

Oct 6, 2005

Just did it...

I just did my elementary school subbing today. It was a roving sub, till 11 am I was teaching 3rd grade, there was another student teacher who was so helpful and encouraging. then I had to go to the 1st grade, here I was alone as the teacher had to leave, so when i started teaching math I had to really come down from 3rd grade level to first grade. All in all it was a great start. I also took the recommended book super sub and I got to use it with the third graders. Thanks everybody for great tips.

12. mschristine23

mschristine23 Rookie

Oct 6, 2005

I have been lucky, I have my teaching degree so I am able to just follow their plan book. I am a regular in the schools I sub in and they are always good about helping me if I need it. Usually if they know ahead of time they will leave u a note if they want certain things done.

13. justus

justus Rookie

Oct 22, 2005

Depending on the grade level, have some grade-appropriate activites ready.. I mostly subbed middle school, so I typed up all the states/world capitals, book trivia, and other "pop" trivia (of course, appropriate) and when the students were well behaved or we have plenty of time left we would play 'around the world' with the trivia. If there were no lesson plans left (which has happened a couple of times) we did the states/world capitals (they could at least learn something!!) and if we just finished early, I would do the fun trivia. That age really likes competitive games, especially when its topics that interest them. Good luck!