OK to replace striking workers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Milsey, Sep 13, 2011.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 16, 2011

I think this definitely says it best. If you are contracted, you can't. I WOULD NOT under any circumstance. That's your stand, and you gotta stand 'til the END. As a sub, you owe them (the teachers) nothing really. I'm going to guess your situation is like that of a lot of teachers out there now, not knowing when if ever a legitimate opportunity will come your way. A lot of teachers look at their local area, and see no light at the end of the tunnel (in terms of employment). You owe yourself the chance--when you go to interview, no one is going to give you credit for sitting out (and learning nothing). But many will give you credit for the time you spent in the classroom while those teachers were out. And yeah... some will hold it against you. But again, sitting out does NOTHING. YOU need experience. That's the bottom line. You can only get so much better sitting on the sidelines.

2. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2011

I checked my Member handbook in regards to this issue. It is my responsibility to: support collective bargaining issues, including a strike and to refrain from actions that undermine bargaining procedures. If I were to be found to be non-supportive of job action, I could be subject to a fairly hefty fine.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2011

Not being part of a union, I simply had no idea this would be included as a member's responsibilities. There is much I don't know about unions...learning though. :)

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 16, 2011

I wouldn't cross the line. Starting and ending at contracted time is not, in my opinion, a minute counter.

5. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Sep 17, 2011

I'm not sure how it works in my new district, but in my old district, all teachers, contracted or substitute, were members of the union. Therefore, if the union were to strike, EVERYONE would be on strike.

When I was a student, my teachers went on strike. It only lasted a few days.

When I was a student teacher, the union was negotiating and it wasn't going well. They decided to work to rule. Honestly, I think that made more of an impact because it showed everyone exactly how much extra teachers do throughout the day. Even though I was a student teacher, and not a union member, I didn't HAVE to do it, our university supervisors told us that it would be in very poor taste not to do as our cooperating teachers were doing.

6. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2011

In the UK we will probably be on strike soon over our pensions. One alternative to striking is a 'work to rule' which is where we just do our contracted hours and duties and nothing more. It has a slower effect but eventually schools will find it difficult to function without all the extra unpaid stuff we do.

Looking at some of the posts on this forum all US teachers would have to do is to refuse to spend their own money buying supplies for the schools and students! Things would come to a halt within a week!