OK to list unsucessful student teaching experience for CC resume?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JackTrader, Jan 3, 2011.

1. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 3, 2011

I had been a credential candidate for HS social studies and went through student teaching (2 times)- and failed them both - due to classroom management struggles I figured I wasn't cut out to teach high school history when my first MT and my program supervisor (after the 2nd time) both said that I would be better suited to teaching at a higher level - community college. Plus I had terrible anxiety and insomnia during my student teaching stints - maybe that just wasn't going to be. So I am looking to community college teaching, in political science, business, and history.

My question is, would listing my student teaching experience on my resume/CV for community colleges be a good thing? Or should I hide that? And also, should I list my education courses?

In terms of teaching experience, I have subbing experience at all the K-12 levels (3 years' worth), and I have done some seminars/traning for community groups for adults, as well as presentations at industry conferences.

Note - I have a MBA - marketing/finance from a top tier program and a MA in Asian Studies/international economics from a reputable international studies program, so in terms of education and credentials I can meet that. I have extensive international experience in business - including 10+ years, so I can play to practical experience.

Your feedback is most welcome!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2011

I wouldn't put the student teaching on my resume, but be able to discuss this in an interview.

I wouldn't list education courses, just degrees (majors and minors) and endorsements/certificates.

4. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 3, 2011

Thanks for your post.

I'd list my substitute teaching permit because it is valid.

I would interpret that I shouldn't list in my education that I was making progress towards a teaching credential (with the institution's name) since I was dismissed from the program, correct - but I can explain the circumstance in an oral interview, right?

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 3, 2011

Right!

You don't want to list the Student Teaching or education classes since you were unsuccessful in those. Just play up the strengths and experience you DO bring to the position.

If the Student Teaching question comes up in an interview, have a short, succinct answer prepared. Do NOT make a big deal out of it. Chances are, if you don't make a big deal about it, neither will the college.

I would say something like "I originally pursued the traditional approach to working in education, but realized my skills, experience and personality were better suited towards a position in higher education."

6. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 3, 2011

Cerek,

that's a good point and reminder to accentuate the positive and not bring up the negative.

Tomorrow I am going to meet informally with a CC professor to discuss how I can qualify (she is a fellow alum in my Int'l Relations graduate program) who asked me to bring a CV.

Thanks very much!

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2011

Good luck!