Ok... Time is up

Discussion in 'General Education' started by msmullenjr, Apr 18, 2011.

1. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 18, 2011

We start the State Test tomorrow morning. I hate he emphasis on the test. Here's to hoping they learned everything I gave them.

when do you test?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 18, 2011

We tested Phase 2 last week (we did Phase 1 - writing and math constructed response a few weeks ago). It really hit some of my kids last week that this one test will decide if they go on to 5th. I hate the pressure that puts on them.

4. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Apr 19, 2011

Our is the week after spring break. Great planning on our district's part, huh? We have one day to get them back into "school mode" then we give them the test.

@ChristyF-Our test doesn't determine if they go to 5th or not, and means nothing to them. Therefore, many don't put forth any effort. Although I wouldn't want my students to feel a lot of pressure-I think something needs to be linked to the test so they at least try.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2011

We already finished our state testing. The test has little to do with students moving up grades, but I do let them know that it can effect other classes that they take (more advanced classes and remedial classes).

6. bros

bros Phenom

Apr 19, 2011

Yeah, in my district when I was in K-12, the standardized test we took in 5th grade determined whether or not we could take certain AP classes in high school (AP language and science)

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Apr 19, 2011

We start today. The results don't affect the students at all. However, as teachers we get blamed for low test scores even though there are many students who just plain don't care or who don't try aka lazy.

8. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Apr 19, 2011

Wow I can't believe they scheduled it right after break?!?!?!!?!??

Our scores matter because I determines if they get to have electives in Middle School or if they will have additional remedial classes.

So far they are all working hard and concentrating. :)

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2011

They've already taken one back in March. We have 4 days of testing coming up next week Tue-Fri. For the 9th and 10th graders it doesn't matter, but for the 11th graders, if they don't pass this year or next, they don't graduate.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2011

Started this morning. Two and one-half hours of reading.
    Tomorrow is Language, Thursday is math.

Next Tues is SS, then Wed. is Sci.

They have to pass the reading and math to move on to middle school (supposedly).

BORING, BORING, BORING.

11. RyanS

RyanS Rookie

Apr 19, 2011

:yeahthat:

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 19, 2011

Reading this week, math next week. Blah.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 19, 2011

Ours begins in two weeks! :eek:

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

Apr 19, 2011

The week of May 9th.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2011

April 9-12. Eek.

I'm making test survival bags as encouragement gifts for the Friday before the test.:love:

We'll have a post test party...and I'll go out with my colleagues for drinks when it's all done.:whistle::lol:

16. shouldbeasleep

Apr 22, 2011

So we finished 3 days of our 5 days of testing. Next week we'll tackle the last two.

Interesting note: All of the teachers are so tired, and all we're doing is walking around monitoring, and then reviewing for the next day's test. It's just that it's so boring that there is nothing there to wake you up.

And personally, the effort it takes to not say a word to a child marking a wrong answer is exhausting. I have to grit my teeth and walk away quickly. The instinct to teach is strong. But the desire to keep my job is stronger, as are my personal ethics about state testing. I hate them, but I will play by the rules.

At any rate, I think they rocked on the test.

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Apr 23, 2011

We just finished testing yesterday. As third grader if they don't pass the Reading section they aren't supposed to go on to 4th grade. (sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't). I think they need to look at doing like you guys do Shouldbe. We tested everything in the week (Reading, Language Arts, Math, Science and Social Studies) and by the time they got to Science and especially to Social Studies they were so tired and sick of testing they finished the Social Studies test in under the maximum time (the only one that that happened with). I am only since I didn't even test 1/2 my kids in my room that they did their best because they were tested by 3 different people besides me (due to 504's, IEP's and TCP accomodations).

Oh well, now we wait for the results.

18. shouldbeasleep

Apr 23, 2011

It seems that it is up to the individual districts as to how they test. There's a two-week window, and it doesn't have to be all done in one week. I think you should suggest it to the testing coordinator for next year. I like it.

I had one kid who was playing with something in his mouth while I was reading the directions on Thursday. When I said the last line, "Are there any questions?", I looked directly at him. He said, "I don't know where my tooth went."

What? You don't know where your tooth went and the next line is "You may begin?" OK. Stop everything.

"Did you swallow it?"
    "No, I don't think so."
    "Well, feel around for it. Is it beside your gums?"
    "No, I don't feel it."
    "Well, it must be gone. Do you need a drink...."
    "Wait! There it is! It's sideways."
    (All this with his finger in his mouth and me making a face.)
    "Well, here's a Kleenex. Pull it out."
    "OK."
    (Fingers are all in there, like a demented dentist, spit drooling out of the mouth, proctor trying to help but very squeamish about it. The proctor is a student teacher. Me, being a veteran of 25 years, am not going anywhere near the kid.)
    "Did you get it?"
    "I can't quite....Ah! There it is."
    "Well, pull it out."
    (Meanwhile, assistant principal is looking in the door window, thinking I've lost my mind. Principal walks in and tells me they have begun testing next door, warning me in his oh so subtle way that I am making too much noise and why haven't I begun?)
    "Arggghhhhhh....."
    "He's got a loose tooth."
    "Well, pull it out."
    "Argggghhhhh....."
    "I think he's trying to..."
    Kid in the room: "Tie a string around it."
    Another kid in the room: "Here! I'll help you!"
    Me: "Sit down, stay quiet! Don't move! Pull it out!"
    Principal: "Stay quiet in here! Wiggle it around and yank!"
    Spit and drool really coming down now. Proctor yanks test out of the way. Kids are riveted. Assistant principal, who is responsible for reporting any abnormalities for testing, is twisting her hands, looking nervous. I lean back in a chair and smile. This is entertaining, but gross.
    "Argghhhh, Ah! Got it!"
    Holds up something that I don't look at, again being the seasoned vet teacher that I am. I do, however, hear oohs and aahs.
    "Put it in this Kleenex and put it in your pocket. Now, do you want a drink of water before we start the test?"
    "Uh huh"
    Kid gets drink, principal looks around one last time, assistant principal sighs, proctor looks ill, I am grinning.

End result: one tiny drop of blood on the test which is wiped away with a Kleenex, leaving a faint pink tinge.

I have given a version of this test every year of my career. It's just kind of exciting when something happens that is slightly different.

Yes, I am whacked.

19. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Apr 23, 2011

your post just made me laugh! What a story!