OK, so is ANYONE other than me actually having a good year?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by pruckelshaus, Jan 10, 2008.

1. pruckelshaus

pruckelshaus Rookie

Jan 10, 2008

I realize that it's human nature to gripe about one's job, but there seem to be a lot of people who are having a horrible first year. I'm not...I'm having a great year, and an awesome time. Am I the only one?

Perhaps I'm just living in a fool's paradise...

Pete

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2008

Pete, I'm sure you aren't the only one having a great first year. I didn't my first year, but by second year I was much more comfortable. I think if you go into your first year expecting the hassles of paperwork, behavior, meetings, etc, then you have prepared yourself for a great year. If a person goes in thinking everything will be peachy and it doesn't go that way, then they become discouraged.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2008

Last year was my first year and it was great! :)

5. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

Jan 10, 2008

I'm having a great first year! I probably wouldn't have said that in September, but I really love my job now!

6. Ms. T

Ms. T Rookie

Jan 10, 2008

I am a first year teacher and I am having a wonderful experience. I was talking with my mentor and I mentioned that I have read so many horror stories from others that I could not believe how good my year is going. I have found myself feeling bad about how good my job is going after reading some of the posts here. Yes, I have bad days and spend a great deal of time working on stuff but I look forward to going to work each day. I agree with smalltowngal, I knew it wasn't going to be easy and I would have a lot to learn so that kept my expectations realistic.

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2008

My first year was great too! My second year not so much. Of course, I moved from half day kinder to full day kinder, so that was tough!!! This is my first year in fifth and it's going pretty good.

8. kem

kem Companion

Jan 10, 2008

I think that people feel more of a need to vent about and get ideas for a bad experience than good. I absolutely LOVE my job and look forward to going to school (almost) every day:)

9. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jan 10, 2008

My year is going GREAT! Sometimes I worry that things are going too smooth.

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 10, 2008

This is my first year in a new position after 15 years of teaching one grade. And I am having a WONDERFUL year. I love it.

11. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2008

Last year was my first in a new school and new grade and it was great! This year is even better!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's amazing how a positive climate and positve teacher realtionships influence and create a positive outlook. We work together--sure there are some that don't see eye to eye, but I'm staying out of all that stuff.

I made a promise at the beginning of the year last year to be intentional about enjoying my students. It's working because they're a great group of kiddos.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2008

I have been one of the complainers (ok I said it... I'm guilty, ok?). This is my first year as a sub, and now a Language Arts tutor, so I really accredit a lot of my dissapointment to my lack of experience. The whole thing with just being employed with a school is new. Learning this profession's jargon is new. I have been feeling like the new kid at school (hey, I guess that's what I actually am... hmmm...). However, after having two blissful weeks off, I returned to work feeling FABULOUS and guess what? I am loving my job this week!!!! I love, love, love it!!!!! I think a lot of it for me has been lack of experience, confidence, not really knowing how to assert my authority, blah blah blah, you get the picture.

13. Ashlee

Ashlee Rookie

Jan 11, 2008

I love hearing all the positive years! I'm not having a good first year, but I'm glad to hear there are people who really are!!! :)

14. athena_wannabe

athena_wannabe Rookie

Jan 11, 2008

I'm having a great first year, too! I mean, its not always a bed of roses or anything :rolleyes: but overall its going so great that sometimes I worry I'm missing something IMPORTANT! I just seem to have fallen into the swing of things with my kids, my other staff members and administration are great, and I just love everything about where I am. I think I really lucked out, though.

I feel like this year is officially my "first" year, bc I only subbed and had two temp contracts last year. My last temp contract was so horrific, I could hardly stumble out to my car before bursting into tears. In that situation, though, it was the staff and administration that was the problem. I felt very alone and isolated, and because I was "only" a temp teacher, noone seemed to care about me or my feelings.

Like I said, though, this is my first REAL year, and its GREAT!

15. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Jan 12, 2008

Great 1st Year!

I am having a great first year, too! It was definitely a wild ride trying to figure out my procedures and policies for behavior and paperflow, etc. on the fly. I spent tons of prep time and did go in with a "plan", but realized very quickly that it was a pitiful unrealistic plan for 8th graders. So much for the rosy dreamland examples in the books! :lol:

So I revised, revised, revised and finally found my groove about mid-October! It is AMAZING how resolving even one classroom issue (either my issue or the kiddos :lol:) can improve things so dramatically! It's like an instant shift from helpless and frustrated to in-charge and loving it!

Now I am researching more classroom management styles to tweak even more for next year!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2008

Way to go, all!

17. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jan 13, 2008

I am having a pretty good first year. I have just realized and come to the conclusion that I may not come up with the coolest lessons or whatever because my goal right now is to survive and get my units in place. I do feel that at times I do come up with some fun stuff, but teaching is all about learning and learning from your mistakes. I now know some things that I will change next year. I am very blessed to have a good class. I have a few that make me made sometimes, but overall I love my class. I think my only issue is that even tho I love my school and love the people there, sometimes the communication is bad and so therefore it stresses us out when it comes assessment time. I feel that being a 1st year teacher there are still many things I don't know, but other than that I think things are going well.

18. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jan 19, 2008

While this year has not been "easy", I think I'm having a pretty good first year! I have behavior issues in my class like everyone else, but nothing that I can't handle. I have a lot of really sweet, really amazing kids. And I've really become very comfortable with teaching kids to read (and the progress that they have made is wonderful to see). I cried a lot in the beginning of the year, because I was so overwhelmed. But now that I've really gotten the hang of it all, I find it so hard to believe that I actually drove home cyring a few times in the beginning of the year! :)

19. sldoo03

sldoo03 New Member

Jan 19, 2008

Mine's been good

It's funny because you said you almost feel guilty because of the posts on this thread, I've almost feel guilty because so many teachers in my school had a difficult start this year (things have eased up, but it was rough for them at first). I've had a great year! I have a wonderful class. I've worked my tail off, but hey what else would I do? :lol: I am actually VERY concerned that I'm going to be a surplus teacher for next year...I really don't want it to happen but I think I probably will be. Otherwise all is good!
    Stephanie

20. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 19, 2008

I remember my first year as being okay. Now, in my 3rd year, I have a lot of parents from Nightmare on Elm Street.

21. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jan 19, 2008

Last year was my first year, and it was really great. Nice class, supportive parents, positive working environment. This year, I have a very interesting group of kids. At the beginning of the year I was so stressed out that I couldn't eat or sleep. Although each day gets a little better, I am not having a great year, but I know I will get through it and the kids will learn. I am looking forward to next year!

22. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jan 20, 2008

I'm having a great first year! I work with a great team and my class is so sweet and considerate. I long term subbed last year so that helped me get familiar with all the paperwork and meetings. I had a very difficult class during my LTS and I count my blessing for the sweet class I have now!

23. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Jan 22, 2008

I'm having a wonderful first year. I'm still feeling like it's surreal & I can't believe I am fortunate enough to have a job!!!