ok so i need some good books

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by boogaboo214, Apr 2, 2009.

1. boogaboo214

boogaboo214 Companion

Apr 2, 2009

i have read the hp series twice and in the last month i have read the giver, louis blacks book and in the last week i have read the twilight series, i need another good book series to read maybe along the same lines as hp and twilight bc i really LOVED them, I am thinking about the house of night series by pc cast anyone read it and if so what did you think is it worth the time. any other ideas, i like stuff that is maybe more young adult and nothing really creepy bc i will dream about whatever i am reading no matter what it is an adhd thing that i just cant shut it off.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Apr 2, 2009

I love the Gregory Maguire books. They aren't a series, but they are all what I call the 'villian genre', where they tell the fairy tales from the villian's point of view. I just finished reading 'Captain Hook' by JV Hart, and it was EXCELLENT! It's my first review on my new book blog. Same line of writing.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 2, 2009

My favorite genre! Well, one of my favorites.

Right now I am working on the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series. I have also read The Princess Diaries series. I know they're a little cheesy at first, but they're very easy reads. You are also very involved into the story after a few books. Book 7 is my absolute favorite and book 8 isn't bad either. I'll post more that I've read later.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 2, 2009

Not at all the same genre-but I just finished Water for Elephants. Very interesting.
    I also just started an autobiography called Escape, about a woman who left a polygimious (sp?) community. I'm only about three chapters in but it is very good.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 2, 2009

Other series I've read and liked/loved:
    Artemis Fowl (not the graphic novels)
    Blue Bloods
    Charlie Bone
    The Dark is Rising Sequence
    The Heir (by Cindy Williams Chima)
    The Inheritance Cycle (book 3 was useless to me, but will be important)
    The Mortal Instruments (the 3rd book just came out!)
    Ranger's Apprentice (not all of these are available in the US yet)
    Vampire Academy

Another author that I would recomend is Stephen R. Lawhead. His books are not young adult, but if you like tales like Robin Hood and King Arthur they're really good. Most of his books come in trilogy sets.

7. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2009

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 2, 2009

Have you read Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End? They're looonnngggg but fast reads, I love the time setting, Medieval, & place setting, Europe.

Also, The Glass Castle: A Memoir, is an incredible non-fiction book. I could not put it down.

I've ordered The 5000 Year Leap: A Miracle That Changed the World, Atlas Shrugged, and Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto from Amazon and am waiting.

Recently finished The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd, she also wrote The Secret Life of Bees. It was just ok.

I ordered a new series, The Shadow Children by Margaret Peterson Haddix. The series has 7 books and I ordered them from Scholastic. I always preread before recommending to my kids, It about a third child in a society where families are allowed only 2 children and she's the "Shadow child". I'll probably start one tonight.
    1) Among the Hidden
    2) Among the Impostors
    3) Among the Betrayed
    4)Among the Barons
    5) Among the Brave
    6) Among the Enemy
    7) Among the Free

They each have about 150 pages so I can knock one off pretty quickly if I'm not too distracted.