Ok so I got an offer but....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bunnie, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

I'm entirely highly skeptical about saying I have a job until the deal is signed but I totally got a verbal offer for a 5th grade position, the one where I did a persuasive writing demo. :)

The reason I'm skeptical is because last year I was verbally offered a job at a charter school which fell through last minute due to nepotism after I already resigned from my job. This is how I ended up subbing and struggling financially all year. :(

So with that said....I also have another interview Thursday for a public school in the same system NYC DOE. Part of me says to go on this interview because I haven't been nominated yet and no paperwork has been processed. But the other part of me feels bad because I am happy with the position I was already offered.

Also I was offered the job Friday, I haven't had any contact with anyone from the school since then. Should I call tomorrow and see what going on?

What would you do?

PS I'm not very good at being patient but I'm trying my best not to think about being screwed over like I was last year. :help:

3. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jul 1, 2014

I would be less skeptical because now you're talking about a public school which tends to have higher professional standard than charter schools. They probably won't contact you until Wednesday or Thursday because they have other new hires to process as well...and you're in New York so that's a lot of teachers

You should keep interviewing if it makes you feel better1

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 1, 2014

Congratulations!

I see nothing wrong with continuing to interview until you've signed a contract.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

I've been in the same paranoid boat! I was offered my job on Thursday and called and accepted it on Friday morning. The P finally called me today asking me to come in tomorrow to the district office. I assume this means to sign paperwork. I wish I would have had some notice since I am on baby duty tomorrow. She said I can bring her though. I have a feeling that I will be meeting my superintendent with my niece on my hip, but oh well.
    I'm not telling anyone, or even breathing, until this is signed. She asked me how much I made at my old job. She promised me I won't start at base, but now I'm nervous that they won't give me credit for 5 years like she thought. We are talking a $7000 difference, so I'm hoping for the 5 years.

6. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jul 1, 2014

Go on the interview. I just responded to your PM, and that school was School A in my interview saga :) They are packed to the BRIM with kids and full class sizes, but I really liked the school and the administrators. The teachers during my demo were really helpful, too.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 1, 2014

Congrats! I would also still go on the interview just in case.

8. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 1, 2014

I feel you giraffe! I told only those that were closest to me and know my job hunt saga. I haven't posted it on Facebook, because well it's not official. I was so giddy and happy when I received the offer though. It really hard to contain the excitement and fully celebrate until everything is done and processed!

9. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 1, 2014

Congrats! There is nothing wrong with interviewing until you sign a contract but I agree with whoever said you are in a better place with it being a public school :)

10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 2, 2014

So I called today and left a voicemail. I received no response yet from my 9am phone call.

I also received a phone call to interview at another school that wanted me to interview tomorrow but told them Monday would work better. This was a school I didn't even send my résumé to but instead pulled it off the DOE website.

Again I'm going to say that I am happy with the position I was offered but since it was the first offer I received from a public school I feel like maybe just maybe I accepted too quick?

Maybe I just don't feel secure yet because no paperwork has been processed. I know it's ok to keep going on interviews I'm just not the type to "lead people on". I don't want to be the opposite of principals interviewing fillers. I guess I feel bad, but don't want to be screwed over either since nothing is signed.

Maybe I'm over thinking this all.

11. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 2, 2014

I can't imagine how frustrating this has been for you :(

Personally, I would not feel secure, either, until the contract is signed and you have some "proof" that you have a job for September (especially after what happened last year). I think it is a good idea to keep interviewing because you just never know what can happen. It would be better to have another job lined up that you can decline instead of this job falling through and then you are back to square one.

I am sure that the school is just delayed this week due to the holiday--a lot of people take off. They will probably call you soon to come in and sign your contract. Fingers and toes crossed for you :) I know how tough the NYC DOE job market is right now, so I am really pulling for you!

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 2, 2014

Thank you sunshine. Yeah it hard to shake the feeling of did I really get the job after what I went through last year.

I have a feeling they might be out on vacation and will be in next week because they told me they were going to interview my new co teacher in a week and a half.

I'm not good at being patient at all.

13. monkeyrun

monkeyrun Rookie

Jul 2, 2014

I would still interview. I just accepted a position last week, and I had another interview set up for later this week too. I did cancel it though, because I live in a different state and it would have been a lot of $$ to drive back and forth again. (And last time I went, my car got messed up and cost me even more $$, so maybe I'm paranoid about that, too!).

So short story long :) - if it's not a hassle to go to this next interview, do it! IMHO. Best of luck with everything.

14. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 2, 2014

Update

Although my paperwork still hasn't been processed I did get an email letting me know my information has been sent to the district office. I won't know anything until Tuesday I was told. But tomorrow I'm calling the district office myself to see if things are getting processed.

Now should I still go to my interview tomorrow is the question? The weather is going to be SUPER crappy here tomorrow. It's been pouring and thunderstorming like nuts tonight. I just don't know if I want to travel in a crazy storm.

Should I postpone it or should I just decline the interview stating I was offered another position?

15. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jul 2, 2014

Go on the interview.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 2, 2014

I would go to the interview. If you like this school better you could try and get them to make a quick decision.

17. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 3, 2014

I would still go on the interview.
    I'm glad that you finally heard some news...hoping it proceeds quickly and smoothly for you!

18. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 3, 2014

I'd go to the interview today as well.

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2014

Any updates??

20. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 4, 2014

I actually cancelled the interview. The P was really sad when I said I accepted another offer but wished me luck. I think if I decided to do an internal transfer next year he would be the first P I would contact to see if they have openings though.

I really flip flopped with deciding to go or not. Part of me wanted to see my options but the other part of me was like you know I don't want to jinx anything and seem greedy. I think if it was an entirely different school system I would have went but it wasn't. Plus it would have added an additional 40 minutes to my commute each day.

I have to start having faith that I'm not going to be screwed out of a job every time I get an offer now.

I really do appreciate everyone's advice though!

Also I tried calling multiple numbers for the district office and left messages. No one answered. It's highly likely they were on vacation this week for the holiday and will resume next week. Which makes sense as to why nothing has been processed.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 4, 2014

I didn't realize it was in the same district. I would have canceled, too!

22. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 4, 2014

Yeah the NYC public school system has 32 districts in the 5 boroughs. There's a lot of schools. If each district was independent and not under the umbrella of the DOE I would have definitely gone on the interview.

23. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 4, 2014

Yes, I guess it made sense then. I'm sure the district offices were closed early (or completely) yesterday and will be closed through the weekend. I know some offices are closed Monday as well, but I'm hoping that you can some info sooner rather than later :)

24. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 4, 2014

Yeah I agree and that extra 40 minutes of a commute....:eek:

25. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 4, 2014

I would have toughed it out though for a few months because the school was in the same neighborhood my sister lives in so I would have moved closer to her.

But then again after spending the past 2 days with her maybe a little distance is good :lol:

26. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 7, 2014

UPDATE

It seems the waiting game after being offered a position is just as bad as waiting for the call to being offered a job.

I called the network office to check on my paperwork. I spoke to a very helpful lady. Unfortunately the powers that be have not officially sent her my paperwork! Or rather she couldn't find it. She was very diligent in trying to figure out where it was and she is the person who can process me if said paperwork had been sent to her. She couldn't just go on my word that I was offered the job. The thing that stinks is that nobody is around full time since it's summer so things are processed much slower. Between the schedules of the P, HR and everyone else who works for the DOE it's going to take some time.

On the bright side she has reached out to my admin and CC'ed me to investigate where my paperwork is. The downside is that I have to probably wait until Wednesday, maybe even longer to have everything pushed through.

So fingers crossed that this process goes through! It's making me anxious like something will go wrong even though I've covered all my basis within the DOE that everything is clear.

I have faith things will come together sooner rather than later.

27. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 7, 2014

I hope things are confirmed soon. Were you approved by the school board yet?

28. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 7, 2014

Me too! :) There's no school board here since it's a huge city run school system. The way I *think* it runs is principal-network-main HR. So the principal nominates me and notifies the network. Then the network gets the initial paperwork and processes it through the system and I receive an email with more paperwork. Then things are sent to the main HR. Once it gets sent to the main HR I have to go down there to complete and hand in the rest of my paperwork. And after that my background check is performed by the investigations dept.

It's quite a process! Therefore the sooner the first part is done the faster I can get everything else moving. Once I get to the point of going down to HR I'll feel more at ease and feel like I actually have the job.

29. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 7, 2014

Bunnie: I know it must be hard, but keep the faith! I'm glad that you were able to talk to an actual person and at least get a status update. I know things move super slowly in the summer, but I am hoping that you get some confirmation soon.

30. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 7, 2014

Thanks sunshine! I took a gamble at calling people in the network and got the right person. It's part of my neurotic nature to want to physically be able to do things myself when I can't. I hate sitting around hoping things are getting done. And well since it wasn't who knows when they would have noticed?

I need to have some sort of peace of mind so I can prepare for the next phase...planning and classroom decor!

31. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 9, 2014

Giraffe326 - Did you get nominated and processed? Because that's what I did. I also talked to a few friends who are full-time teachers about the whole contract thing, they said to not worry about it and just fill out what they ask you to fill out, and that I should be fine. NYC is tricky. BUT, they called me to pick up a book that the whole staff is reading for the summer. Plus the principal I worked with as a long term sub is good friends with the principal that hired me. So I'm pretty confident. But that's just my situation.

Bunnie…if you didn't even get a nomination, I would still go on interviews. I kept going until I got my nomination, got processed by the DOE (even checked the teacher application, I am listed as "Placed At A School"), a call to pick up a book to read from the school, and a warm good luck from the principal I worked with. And charter schools…they can let you go in a snap. They have their own system and…yea. And I dealt with nepotism at a school I thought I got a job at last year (was a public school, but didn't get nominated). Keep going until you get some sort of solid proof that you're hired.

32. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 9, 2014

Ugh now I am second guessing turning down my interviews. :(

I'm starting to get annoyed that the nomination is taking so long when it should've been done already.

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

I haven't signed yet. I ended up doing another interview with the superintendent and he offered me the job and told me he'd give me credit for 5 of my 7 years. I go in on Tuesday to sign. Board meeting isn't until the 28th.
    I can't resign until I sign the new paperwork or I will have to pay another $60 to get fingerprinted and a background check. If you go one day without consecutive employment you have yo get this redone.

34. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 9, 2014

Bunnie... I went through this two years ago...feel free to pm me if you need to, but I would not worry. Right now is the down time for the city...you are in contact with hr which is good. Follow up in a week or so. Admin JUST got their summer break last Tuesday. I know my p doesn't answer emails until end of July or early aug. Also, hr is very backed up...even on normal days, so I would not worry too much. Like I said, just stay I'm contact with hr :) check teacher finder online if you set up an account it will say you are placed

35. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 9, 2014

Thanks. It does make me feel better. I got a status email saying things are being looked into. I'm just a naturally impatient person. :unsure: