Ok, now that I'm hired.. i need advice!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissT34, Dec 8, 2010.

1. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Dec 8, 2010

I was hoping someone would be able to offer some advice, since I am about to start my position with the At-Risk students on Monday.

Today was actually my first day, which I spent observing the 3rd grade teachers conduct a few lessons and worked with a few students that will end up with me starting next week. I will have my own room, which I am working on decorating tomorrow and Friday.. I'm not sure what would be a good idea for a bulletin. The smaller bulletin I'm planning to do something Christmas-y (if that's a word lol) but the larger bulletin I'd prefer to be something I can keep for the remainder of the year that would just need a little tweaking every few months... suggestions are welcome! lol

As for Monday, do you think it'd be best to spend a few minutes getting to know the kids? I will have the only for 45 min blocks and it'll be a group of about 5-6 children. Since the time is so limited, I don't want to spend too much of it learning names, but I also do not want to jump right into their work with getting to know them. Should I offer some sort of reward system for classroom management.. It's a tiny group of kids but who knows if I'll have behavioral problems with them... I just want to be prepared.

This is my first year and I'm so nervous.. I know Christmas vacacations are around the corner, so I just want to make sure I get off to a good start with the kids so that come January, we can jump right into our routine... help please!:help:

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2010

I would definitely take a few minutes to get to know the kids. I think I would use the bigger bulletin board for strategies on reading/math (whatever you're teaching).

4. madderhatterme

madderhatterme Rookie

Dec 8, 2010

Spending a good portion of those first few days on getting to know the kids might really start you off on the right foot. These kids know that they are in a "special" group that makes them different from other kids (no matter how much we try to keep our kids from figuring it out - they always know!), so letting them know that you actually give a heck about them off the bat is a massively important building block to your relationship.

I work at a national non-profit after school program, and just the other day I sat down with a middle-school girl that I haven't really gotten to know, and is a bit of a behavioral issue. I let her know that I understood we didn't have much of a relationship, and I told her that I wanted to change that and asked her to meet me halfway. Today, she included me immediately in their conversation when I walked over to say hello, and even joined me in a game of Scattergories. Short story: she realized I actually cared! It matters! :)

BEST of luck - think positively and you'll do great!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 8, 2010

Definitely use a day or two to get to know them and do any pretesting. I begin each year with a math pretest (that came with our program) and a Getting To Know You Survey that I typed up.

What will you be teaching?

I would use the BB for strategies/ed related stuff.

I have 11 groups with 5 to 6 kids in each group. Behavior is not a problem, unless you aren't on top of them. We work nonstop from beginning to end so they never really have time to goof off anyways. I do reward them with small bits of licorice or business cards (that my whole school uses), otherwise, I don't have a behavior managment plan. THe teacher next door uses the checks next to the name and stuff, but I don't see the need and I have no issues anyways.

Because it is such a small group, they do tend to sometimes become a bit too "cozy" and view the situation as a more of a informal situation. So, just stay on top of them and make sure they treat you as a professional educator.

6. MissT34

MissT34 Companion

Dec 9, 2010

Thanks for the advice everyone :) I will definately take all of your words into consideration when I begin with my groups!