ok, i need some help.

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by clarnet73, Mar 7, 2007.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 7, 2007

I co-teach my 3's class. My co-teacher has been at the school longer than I have, and started the year off with these kids, while I came in in September. She runs a VERY tight ship, and I have tried as much as I can to be consistent with my expectations and stuff. On te weeks I run circle, they don't seem to listen nearly as well as they do with her... lots of misbehaving, talking, etc. She doesn't seem to have this problem. It's been particularly bad this week. Today she comes up to me during nap and says, "you have GOT to figure out something, this can't continue." She will pull kids off the carpet or whatever, as will I, but other than that she doesn't HELP, she just basically glares at me.

She doesn't says much of ANYTHING to me unless it's because she doesn't like something I'm doing (even if it's working, it's not HER way). She told me at the beginning she would prefer to plan together, but goes ahead and does the plans without telling me... says "i'd love your ideas" and then doesn't use them. She's a HUGE organizer. I'm not, but I'm trying as hard as I can to keep things neat and organized using the system she set up.

I'm fed up with this. I'm going to look around for some management strategies, but I can always use more. I think it's because some of the things she doesn't tolerate at ALL don't bug me and I think are more developmental, so I don't stop them immediately. But I'm not sure which bugs me more... the kid's behavior or having to co-exist in a room where I feel I'm not really wanted.

Thanks for letting me vent. Suggestions are always appreciated. ;)

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 7, 2007

Co-teaching is so hard! I personally don't co-teach, but I have an assistant in my room who might as well be my co-teacher. I know I was so anxious when I found out I would have an assistant- getting personalities to gel well enough to run a classroom is tricky. I was very lucky, I wish you were too!

But since you aren't, I would suggest you have a frank discussion with her. Even if she's not happy you're there, you are. It's not helping anybody to glare at you and make you feel badly! Teaching is a profession, and she should be able to sit down with you as a professional and discuss how you can combat the situation together. Good Luck!

4. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 8, 2007

I work with a co-teacher sort of.There are only two of us here. I worked here about two years ago and their is a whole new group of children here. So it has taking time for me to get into it again. When she runs circle they listen to her. When I do it they seem to be watching what she is doing. It is getting better .They now know there are two teachers here and they are both the ok.

5. kem

kem Companion

Mar 8, 2007

behavior

I'm sorry that I don't have any magical advice, but I would also LOVE to have some behavior management ideas that anyone has found successful with PK :angel:

6. Ms.Cortney

Ms.Cortney Rookie

Mar 8, 2007

I know how your feeling i'm the LEAD TEACHER in my preschool room and my assistant does all my lesson plans granted i have told her that i will do them she just tells me oh well i was bored soo i did them for you no thats my job thats what i'm getting paid to do granted she was there longer and i just started at the beginning of march and everything and i'm still getting to know the kids and everything it still kinda pisses me off but i told her if your going to do i dont mind but just involve me in what your going to do or lets do it together and everything if anything i would go and talk to your director about it they r always the ones i run to lol but i hope all works out for u mainly i would express how u feel about everything and give oyur input on things and just be honest and if she still is the same way then talk to that director they r really big help!

Ms.Cortney