OK for subs to rearrange desks?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by teachnfl, Nov 5, 2007.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Nov 11, 2007

I'm not saying it isn't a classroom management technique, but I am saying that, if that child has an IEP requiring special seating (front of the class, away from the door, away from floruescent lights, a specific height desk, a desk with an attached figit, inclusive seating, a desk facing natural light, a desk away from natural light, etc,) you may be violating their IEP. Believe it or not, many IEPs clearly state that a child may NOT be moved away (or excluded) from a group. The IEP sometimes removes that option of behavior management from us, as teachers. I know that in my school district, I am not at liberty to share the specifics of IEPs with substitutes unless they are long term.

I'd say, when in doubt, don't.

2. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Nov 12, 2007

I don't know the legal requirements surrounding IEPs in your area, and I'm sure they change from location to location, but is there a way to give a sub information without disclosing IEP specifics? I'm always getting notes from teachers saying things like "Johnny may need extra time for this assignment - please give it to him" or "Suzy may need to leave the room to calm down".

Could you, in your lesson plans or a sub binder, mention something like "Please don't move Bobby's seat"? That way the sub gets pertinent information and you haven't given away any IEP specifics.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2007

Moving a child to a spot in the room where he can focus better, not be disruptive is one thing. Rearranging my room is another. You won't be invited back if you start moving my furniture.

4. lincro44

lincro44 Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

there isn't a district supervisor

we are just in a pool, we get called by a computer and that's the end of the districts involvement. No guidelines, suggestions, etc.

5. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2007

Are you sure? The subs in the surrounding districts here are called via a computer system, but there is also someone in human resources who is in charge. I wonder if there are guidelines online anywhere? I'm curious now. You still should do it, since you feel so strongly about it and you have made it through how many years did you say? and I'm positive they would be glad to get it. We have substitute shortages out here all of the time, my district even ratified a contract with the sub's union last year!

6. lincro44

lincro44 Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

We aren't lucky enough to have a union but i know there are district offices but as far as manuals, even pay isn't discussed. I usually have to ask another sub or the secretary of the school i subbed at to get the date i'll get paid for a job. I waited 5 weeks for a paycheck for 1 day. But i took your advise and also gave you credit for the idea...

7. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2007

Oh, that sounds awful! (about not knowing your pay)
    You don't have to give me credit for anything! You're the one who came up with the idea, remember? I'm the one who said it's a great idea...:) I'm glad you're doing something about it, that just seems unfair. There are so many mistakes a sub could make, even with a manual. Education is like another world. Well, good luck to you and I hope you do get to "make a difference" to the subs in your area! :)

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 14, 2007

We received a handbook at orientation that discussed pay, duties and responsiblities, and Do's & Dont's.c\

9. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2007

yeah, you'd think that every district would do it. It's really unfair otherwise.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 15, 2007

I think that a lot of districts are starting to catch on to that. There needs to be a standard so both subs and regular teachers know what is expected.

11. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Nov 15, 2007

Isn't it common sense NOT to move furniture around in a classroom that isn't yours? I could see moving a few students throughout the day if they're disturbing others, but I don't think any furniture should be touched. Some people really lack common sense!

12. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Nov 15, 2007

When I sawthe title to this thread, I had to jump in. I would be extremely upset if my desks were moved around. You can move the child, but the desk arrangements don't have to be altered. I subbed for over a year before I got my class and would never have rearranged anything.