OK- Everybody! Share your best classroom games!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by trina, Jan 31, 2007.

1. trina

trina Companion

Feb 21, 2007

OK- I get Sparkle now, but what happens when a kid says the wrong letter? Is that child out? Do you then restart the word or let the next kid pick up at the wrong letter? How to do keep up with who is out?

2. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 21, 2007

If you say the wrong letter, you sit down and the next person has to say the correct letter. it keeps the students listening so they don't miss whatever letter the person said.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 21, 2007

I also make them sit if they aren't paying attention - don't know what word we're on, or didn't listen to the last person. My kids get candy for a win. No more than one piece per day that we play, though.

4. weno88

weno88 Companion

Feb 21, 2007

I love this and am thinking about using it in class tomorrow! How do you score? Are points awarded for getting on base, or is there a way to advance around the bases?

5. trina

trina Companion

Feb 21, 2007

I divide the class into 2 teams and ask 1 side questions. All the kids who answer correctly can line up to have a throw. When they have all thrown, I ask the other team their questions. That is how I keep up with "innings," however, we love this game so much we just play until the bell rings. I keep a small section of chalkboard reserved on each side to keep up with where the ghost runners are and the "runs" and "outs." The easy way to play is to have each child throw the ball and record what base he or she gets on and when "ghost runners" come in for a score. Feel free to make up your own rules. I've always said "I am the team owner, the league owner, all the referees and the commissioner- and my rulings stand!" I will caution you to look at the board and not the kid when he throws because it can happen so fast you don't see where the ball hits sometimes. I let the kids have only 1 throw or "at bat" each. And be sure to put a piece of tape on the floor to make them stand behind. Have fun! My kids are begging to play this again soon!

6. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Feb 24, 2007

I don’t know the name for this one, but it works well with a variety of age groups. You will need a lot of space – like a gym or outside. Have five circles (hula hoops work well) on the ground (one in each corner and one in the middle). Into the four corner hoops put a set amount of bean bags or small squishy toys. Divide the students into four groups. Give each group a few minutes to discus their strategy before starting. The object of the game is for all of the objects to be removed from the groups hoop to another hoop. The middle hoop is the “day care” and no team will be working to remove those objects. Only one team member can be holding an object at a time.

Younger kids sometimes get too carried away with “sabotaging” other groups and will not utilize the middle hoop. When this happens it is handy to have a set time limit and whoever has the least amount of objects wins.