OJ and Lady Justice

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 5, 2008

OJ and Lady Justice

Well he will be in prison from 9 to 33 years

IMHO this is the second rape of Lady Justice in 14 years.
    When he was acquitted of the 2 murders was the first and
    now his even being brought up on the charges was the second.

Now I am speaking of pure justice now. Not whether or not he needs to be in jail for the murders, or what people are calling karma from his acquittal of the murders.

IMHO he was set up and it was disgusting that our Justice System was used.

Did he do the crimes he has just been convicted of? The court says so.

IMHO anyone else the charges may have never been brought up or would have been reduce to almost nothing :2cents:

Well at least we have a murderer off the streets
    [​IMG]
    but did Lady Justice have to get a black eye?​

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Dec 5, 2008

I agree, Dave. I thought the whole thing was a lot of silliness.

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 5, 2008

Karma is a **tch. It'll get you sometime. I don't know if he should have been charged for the recent crimes but at least as you said a murderer is off the streets.

5. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2008

The lawyers are apparently going to appeal due to the fact that after his acquittal in 95 there was no way for him to receive a fair trial.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 5, 2008

I totally agree. I think his sentence is a joke...murderers get less time...

7. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 5, 2008

Hopefully this doesn't mean that OJ can continue to kill without any possibility of being convicted...... :(

8. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Dec 5, 2008

I agree...Karma can be a **itch.

9. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Dec 6, 2008

I think part of the problem is that there has not been a precedent set in a case like this. In the newspaper today, the judge was quoted by saying 1994 had nothing to do with the sentence she handed down. Really??? I have a hard time believing that. Did you see OJ? He looked horrible, too.

I wonder what prison will be like for him...will he be treated like a celebrity he used to be? Will he be treated like the criminal he is? Will it be like a resort?

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2008

For the staffs & his safety he will not be in the general population

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 6, 2008

Now now.

Whatever the weaknesses of the system, it is what we have to work with.

He was acquitted of the murders. No matter what people think, he was not found guilty. So goes our system. He left the court a free man.

He was found responsible for the murders in the civil lawsuit.
    He has continued to live life with an apparent attitude of "the law does not apply to me, I am O.J.!" He has continued to do things on the edge and has been arrested at least twice before the Las Vegas thing.

If I were "innocent" of 2 murders and found not guilty, personally, I would not go around drawing attention to myself and living on the edge of the law. I would get as far away as I could and live in a cabin in the middle of nowhere with my dog and grow my own food so I could never be accused of doing ANYTHING WRONG ever again.

In this case, they have him on video and audio. The jury found him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Why do we accept the one verdict - not guilty of murder - because that is our system, yet question the second verdict - guilty of what, 12 counts?? - and not accept the findings of our justice system?

Sounds inconsistent. Either we accept the findings of our justice system or not.

My theory in life is not karma. It is that the truth will out eventually. O.J. has now brought the truth out: he is a criminal who thinks he is above the law. He took one too many risks and now it is over.

He did look horrible. He is probably terrified, sad, and mostly in shock that he has finally had his comeuppance.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 6, 2008

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Dec 6, 2008

I am consistent I disagree with both findings In the murders IMHO he did it

In the Las Vegas thing IMHO he was set up.

It is like when an Umpire Blows a call in baseball if the next goes the other way they say it is a make up call.

I want to see if the guy who had the gun on him gets the same time

14. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Dec 8, 2008

I don't think he was set up at all. He specifically admitted in his statements right before the sentencing that he did it, he knows it was stupid, and things didn't really go as planned. And honestly, the sentencing COULD have been much worse. I don't think that what he got was unreasonable in the least.

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 8, 2008

Ok Dave, now I see what you are saying. I also think he got away with murder. I don't think he was set up this time, but even if he was set up, he did not have to take part in what was an idiotic scheme. He made the choice to go into that room to "get back my stuff." If he knew or didn't know there was a gun present, he is guilty either way. If you are involved in a crime to any degree and others you are with are more involved, i.e., you think you are getting your stuff back and someone else carries a weapon, under our law, you are just as guilty. If you are involved in a robbery and someone gets killed, even if you did not harm the person, you are just as guilty as the one who did.

So I think, set up or no, he made the choice to go get those items by some kind of force or intimidation. His choice. Kinda like a sting operation - the criminals can walk away or take part.

I am so sad to see what he has done with his life when he could have done so much good, being a sports hero and well known and well liked. Lots of people looked up to him. It is really sad to see him wasting his life. But I think he got what he deserved under the law. I'm hopful that once in prison he will have no choice but to face up to the wrongs he has done and maybe that will drive him to do a turn around and get it together. I think he is going to have a lot of solitary time on his hands.