Oil spill clean up

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by runsw/scissors, Jun 5, 2010.

1. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 5, 2010

I feel really terrible about the oil spill in the Gulf and all the wildlife that has been effected by it. I went to a link that allows you to give your location and then superimposes the size of the spill onto a local map. The link is www.ifitwasmyhome.com Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a clean-up organization that is looking for volunteers? I was thinking that with summer break in full swing I would be able to go down south for a week or so and help. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

3. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

It's wonderful that you want to help, rws....... :)

Guess I'm surprised the Admin doesn't an intricate plan in place for people who want to volunteer. It's been over six weeks now...:eek:

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 5, 2010

Most cities on the gulf in the affected areas have lots of volunteer opportunities to help. In order to help actually clean the beaches or animals, you have to have quite a bit of training. However, other opportunities exist. Maybe you could go online and look up the daily newspapers and see what volunteer opportunities they list. This weekend alone in my town, they were using volunteers to build containment thingies to lay down at the water's edge. A local school invented it and now they are making them in bulk. The oil has arrived at our doorstep and our lovely beaches are getting covered with oil. It is so sad.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 5, 2010

Thanks for the link. I can't help you with the volunteer info.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2010

The link was eye opening! I can't think of any volunteer opportunities off the top of my head, but kuddos to you for wanting to get involved!

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 5, 2010

Here's a link that gives information for volunteer opportunities. Some of the hardest hit areas in Louisiana, though, are off limits unless you are authorized to be there, volunteers aren't allowed in at this time. (Ntl Guard is down there.) Cleanup right now is being handled by trained workers and Wildlife and Fisheries personell.
    http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/gulf_oil_spill/wala-oil-spill-volunteer-opps-lr

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

This is a very sad situation. I wonder when OUR government will implement plans to starting cleaning the oil damage to our beaches and to protect our wildlife... THEN bill BP for the costs. (BP doesn't have the capacity to cleanup this mess and restore our beaches.)

I simply don't see a decisive plan in place....... Maybe there is one.... but I don't think most people are aware of it.... Time is wasting....:dizzy:

For many years I owned a beach house on Galveston Island. We went there most every weekend. I feel the pain of those in LA, MS, AL and Florida. This disaster is sickening.......:(:(:(

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2010

Thanks for the link--it really puts things into perspective! I sent it to our Science teacher and to my son, who is an Environmental Science major.

10. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2010

The oil spill hits too close to home for me. Many of the reporters have been broadcasting from Buras, LA which is the town where I grew up. The eye of Katrina went through here and now the oil spill. I get depressed when I watch the broadcast so I have had to back away from the coverage. I went home earlier in the week and there were lots of military helicopters that were carrying boons for the clean-up. I want this disaster to be over with real soon.

11. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Jun 5, 2010

Thanks for sharing.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2010

Why aren't the heads of the EPA and Dept of Interior down in the Gulf area? This is a badly handled environmental disaster.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 6, 2010

This oil spill will be Obama's Katrina. Thanks for the volunteer link. I'll have to look it over. I have been keeping an eye on the papers here and listening for any church groups that might be going down to help (there were quite a few volunteer groups that were school/church groups that went down to help after Katrina), but so far all is quiet. We need to get started cleaning up this mess ASAP before it gets worse than it is. It will take long enough to clean up as it is.

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 6, 2010

On a sad side note, I heard on the news this morning that the amount of oil that has leaked so far is equivalent to the amount of oil Americans consume in ONE DAY!!!!!

15. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 6, 2010