Oil Pulling? Or any other detox methods?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ku_alum, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 20, 2013

Do any of you partake in oil pulling?

I was browsing online for some relief from nasal congestion and stumbled upon oil pulling (though, the more I read, it seems to be used primarily for oral hygiene).

Oil pulling involves swishing sesame (or coconut) oil in the mouth for 20ish minutes. People "claim" it creates the cleanest mouth because of the bacteria it helps remove. http://wellnessmama.com/7866/oil-pulling-for-oral-health/ Swishing for 20 minutes seems difficult, but many people report doing it while they do other morning routine tasks.

For some reason, I'm intrigued.

What about other detox methods? Does anyone regularly detox or cleanse?

I have not. I can't get a good feel for the effectiveness. I read a lot of anecdotes of support, but ...

Yet, I'm intrigued by the thought of removing toxins from my system.

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 20, 2013

I don't believe any if that stuff. Sounds like a gimmick to me.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 20, 2013

I have tried Oil Pulling. It's not that bad if you do other things in the mean time. A friend of mine did it and got a good report from her dentist. Not sure if it does anything to other parts of the body besides the mouth but it's worth trying.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 20, 2013

I feel the same way, sometimes. I wish there was scientific evidence and not just anecdotal information.

6. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 20, 2013

I've oil pulled. I liked it. I have sensitive gums that bleed frequently when I floss. That went away within 2 days. Also, I noticed that my cuticle beds were much less dry and I was much less prone to hang nails. My teeth also seemed whiter.

I did it in the morning, as I made my lunch. It's recommended to be done on an empty stomach, I believe because it can make people nauseated. I know it did me the first couple of times I did it.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 20, 2013

Shanoo~how often do you do it?

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Oct 20, 2013

I did it once a day, in the morning. That was the most convenient time for me. I've heard of people doing it multiple times a day, but I found that once is what worked best for me.

My oil of choice was sunflower oil and I did a warm salt water rinse afterwards, followed by brushing before I ate or drank anything.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 20, 2013

I heard that sunflower oil was best. I used grapeseed oil (just what I had on hand) and coconut oil is good but it comes solid in the jar so it might be harder to use.

10. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Oct 20, 2013

I try and do it a few times a week, in the mornings when I am showering and getting ready. I do believe that it helps your gums. I had a little bleeding when I would floss and it went away within a week or two, plus my teeth seemed whiter. That was when I was doing it every day. I use coconut oil, its great!