Ohio?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by amedinaoh, Apr 9, 2011.

1. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Apr 9, 2011

I am originally from Northeast Ohio (Lake and Medina County) and would like to return there because of the weather :D Just kidding---really, it's for my family. I moved to NC because of the job market in Ohio five years ago. I have little faith it has improved. Anyone know of schools that are hiring. I am looking toward the Cleveland/Akron/Canton area but am open. I have a prek-3rd grade license in Ohio. My fear is when I apply, they see my address as being in NC and don't move any further.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2011

Do you have family in Ohio whose address you can use?

4. amedinaoh

amedinaoh Companion

Apr 9, 2011

Yes..but don't want to come across as sneaky. Especially if it gets to an interview and they ask for references or where I have been teaching (and still am--I will not leave this school without another offer--I love my job in NC, just wanting to be closer to family).

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2011

It doesn't seem sneaky to me...you could even address your NC experience in your cover letter and mention that you will be 'staying with relatives in the area' while you are looking for a job....or list your NC address and discuss in your cover how you are hoping to re-locate to Ohio.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 10, 2011

Just mention something about in your cover letter. I think the market in OH is probably much much worse than it was 5 years ago though. I looked all over OH and there just aren't many openings. For the openings they did have in k-3, there are literally thousands of people applying for a single job. When I first entered college 5 years ago it was only an average of 100 applicants per job. Also, colleges are now offering endorsements so that candidates can have k-5 licenses. This puts someone at a disadvantage with the k-3 license. I'm not saying you shouldn't even look- go for it- just telling you the reality of the job market in OH right now!