Ohio teachers - what do you think of the Governor's new education plan?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sevenplus, Jan 28, 2009.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2009

Did anyone catch the State of the State address today?

You can read the text here: State of the State Address

There was some pretty big stuff in there! Here is just one very brief quote that sums up just a few of the things. He goes into greater detail.

I haven't heard any discussion on it yet. I'm actually sorry we have another snow day tomorrow because I want to talk about it!

3. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jan 29, 2009

Hmmm...where is he getting all the money for his plans? We have heard nothing but cut-backs, so all of a sudden there is money?

He also lumping all schools together. He is treating Ohio schools as if every school has the same kinds of students. Not true. He should know that better than anybody, considering where he is from!
    How soon we forget!

I am not sure what to think about everything, and I think a lot of it is just talk. Sounded good, didn't it? He needs to meet with average, everyday teachers and find out what we think needs to be done. Once again, he is looking at scientific facts, but who know where the facts were derived? I don't, and I doubt that my low socio-economic school was used at all when compiling info.

It also sounds as though he is blaming teachers for low performing students. Yes, bad teachers exist, but how about holding parents responsible? :eek: WOW! Wouldn't that be something? I can teach my butt off (and I do), but if education is not supported in the home--is it our fault? I cannot make a kid study after he/she leaves my classroom. I just happen to live in an area where education is not a priority, and apparently, teachers are to blame.

AAGGHHH!

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 29, 2009

I wonder how everyone will react to the 200 day school year. I think mandatory all day Kindergarten should have been a law years ago. I'm also interested in what the new tests will look like if they are all rewritten.

5. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jan 29, 2009

The 200 days doesn't bother me, and we have had all day kindergarten in our county for close to 12 years now. I actually thought all schools were doing it already.

Yes, new testing will be interesting. Funny, he wants students who can problem-solve, etc., and his decisions are research-based, but research has shown that testing doesn't test students ability to problem-solve, etc. I am afraid they need to think it through a little longer before enacting any changes.

6. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 29, 2009

I didn't get a chance to hear it, so I need to go back and read and things. What I find interesting is he wants

Together we’ll make Ohio among the first states to place 21st century skills like creativity, problem solving, communication and leadership at the center of its curriculum.

I find it funny that creativity and problem solving are at the top of his list, two of things the arts teach kids! yet we get overlooked as crafty time and cut from schools! argh!

I also get annoyed that teachers are required to be highly qualified in their area, yet a general education elementary teacher can teach art and music and whatever else. I am highly qualified in my area of visual art, but cannot teach reading or math, so WHY is it ok for someone else to teach art etc. when they are not highly qualified? That just irks me a lot!

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jan 29, 2009

I wouldn't know where to start if I had to teach art! What about Drama? Our Drama teacher's specialization is Language Arts (basically Englaish and Lit); however, we have been told we will lose a point on the report card if a Fine Arts person doesn't teach Drama. I think both are qualified to teach this class (not an extra-curricular).

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2009

I think the additional days added to the school year stinks. What's the purpose other than additional instruction time? OUr school already exceeds the # of hours each day, so adding more days to the year would be horriffic for me. I love my summers off.

I'm also interested to see where the funding is coming from.

And the residency program for teachers....what is that all about? Is it an excuse to pay teachers less money for those years until they become "real" teachers? How long is this residency program supposed to last? What are the parameters of the program and what are the goals and requirements? As if we need another reason to have people NOT become teachers.

I know I sound jaded and probably shouldn't. I just hate it when people come up with "educational reforms" and none of it is coming from people who are actually working with the kids.

If they want to do reform, how about lowering class sizes? How about putting two certified teachers in each classroom in inner city or poor performing schools? How about taking those inner city and poor performing schools and only having about 10 kids with those 2 certified teachers so the teachers really CAN individualize the instruction for those kids. I'll bet that would do more to increase the "scores" they keep looking for more than anything else.

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2009

Here's a link to the full proposal.

I have no idea where he is going to get the money for this. And while I support 100% making it easier to get underperforming teachers out of the classroom, I am very nervous about teachers' advancement being based on student performance. Not much of an incentive to work in urban schools or with special education students.

I really dislike the addition of the 20 days. Unless the plan also includes funding to air condition our buildings.

I have not read the text of the full plan completely yet. Please tell me there's something about class size reduction in there. (Not that I'm holding my breath.) That, right there, is the key and they always seem to ignore it.

I will be very interested to see how this all plays out.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 29, 2009

I'm hopeful. His views on changing the structure of education are interesting. Funding for EVERYTHING in Ohio is going to be tricky for some time, but the educational system has needed a legal overhaul for longer than I've lived here.

11. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 29, 2009

We have had full day K for several years too. A lot of area schools don't though, and when we get a move-in you can really tell the difference. I imagine some parents will be mad about the 20 extra days, but some will probably like it. It would save $ on childcare for some. We do have A/C, but it is hard to keep the kids on-task when the weather is nice. I didn't see anything about class size reduction, but I agree that they should consider it a priority.

12. lowrider_7

lowrider_7 New Member

Jan 30, 2009

I have taught in Ohio for four years now. I see how teachers' rights slowly
    get chipped away as time goes by. Now Mr. Strickland proposes to add 20 days
    onto the school year and also increase the length of the school day.

We currently go 182 days. 20 more days would be an increase of 11% (rounded)
    to the school year. No where in this proposal did I see where he mentioned
    increasing teachers' pay accordingly.

Assuming he attempts to lengthen the school day by 1 hour, that is a 14%
    increase over our current time on the job. Again, does he plan to increase our
    pay that extra 14%?

Considering our state's budget crisis, I doubt it.

If Mr. Strickland had stood before the people and said "I am going to make
    police officers stay on the job for 3 extra hours per day, without pay" then
    the F.O.P would be in an uproar, and rightly so. I am shocked the OEO
    supported this proposal.

That is basically what he is doing to teachers with this proposal (as stated).
    As for the rest of his proposals: We already have a 1st year teacher mentoring
    program in place. We use research and technology to guide how we educate our
    students, and no we do not have them "sit in rows and stair at the board while
    the teacher lectures."

As school districts are finally getting the hang of No Child Left Behind's, now
    we are thrown another curve that will completely revamp our system.

13. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jan 30, 2009

I'll say it again--Yes, I agree there are bad teachers, but I still think the majority of his criticism of low performing students is placed on teachers. Nowhere did he mention the accountability of parents. This bothers me because I work very hard to educate the students I have, but there is very little parental support.

Strickland is way off base with this plan. Some of it sounds good, but not realistic.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2009

I am trying to keep in mind that he was endorsed by the unions and am hoping for good stuff. I was really offended when I heard him say on the news last night something to the effect of, (this is not a direct quote but rather the gist of what he said):

If teachers complain about the longer school year and want to go teach in Kentucky, I say to them, 'I hope you like Lexington or Louisville.'

:huh:

I know there are a lot of things to iron out in the plan. And the phasing in of the extra days is supposed to be 4 days added every two years - so over 10 years.

There's no way they can add a month to our contract year without paying more. I don't know that we can assume they don't intend to increase pay. But still. :unsure:

15. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2009

I agree....that's why I suggested the 2 certified teachers in each classroom in low performing schools and no more than 10 kids. If the parents aren't going to provide the appropriate support, and we know more than likely that'll never happen, then we have to staff the classrooms appropriately so these kids get the best of what we have to offer.

If a situation like that were to occur, we'd have more long term teachers flocking like flies to a cow pattie to these under performing schools and things just might turn around. I'm not bashing new teachers at all, but people have said over and over again how we need experienced teachers in these low performing schools but they don't want to work there because of the environment.

I still say they need to talk to the teachers that actually WORK in these schools to see what needs to happen to really make effective change in these schools.

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2009

I agree 100% with everything you have posted on this thread.

I thought that Strickland DID meet with educators, though. And a lot of the stuff on the plan does sound like something teachers would have put together. But there is some critical stuff missing and some that makes me go :rolleyes: