Ohio teachers - what do you think of the Governor's new education plan?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sevenplus, Jan 28, 2009.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2009

Did anyone catch the State of the State address today?

You can read the text here: State of the State Address

There was some pretty big stuff in there! Here is just one very brief quote that sums up just a few of the things. He goes into greater detail.

I haven't heard any discussion on it yet. I'm actually sorry we have another snow day tomorrow because I want to talk about it!

3. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jan 29, 2009

Hmmm...where is he getting all the money for his plans? We have heard nothing but cut-backs, so all of a sudden there is money?

He also lumping all schools together. He is treating Ohio schools as if every school has the same kinds of students. Not true. He should know that better than anybody, considering where he is from!
    How soon we forget!

I am not sure what to think about everything, and I think a lot of it is just talk. Sounded good, didn't it? He needs to meet with average, everyday teachers and find out what we think needs to be done. Once again, he is looking at scientific facts, but who know where the facts were derived? I don't, and I doubt that my low socio-economic school was used at all when compiling info.

It also sounds as though he is blaming teachers for low performing students. Yes, bad teachers exist, but how about holding parents responsible? :eek: WOW! Wouldn't that be something? I can teach my butt off (and I do), but if education is not supported in the home--is it our fault? I cannot make a kid study after he/she leaves my classroom. I just happen to live in an area where education is not a priority, and apparently, teachers are to blame.

AAGGHHH!

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 29, 2009

I wonder how everyone will react to the 200 day school year. I think mandatory all day Kindergarten should have been a law years ago. I'm also interested in what the new tests will look like if they are all rewritten.

5. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jan 29, 2009

The 200 days doesn't bother me, and we have had all day kindergarten in our county for close to 12 years now. I actually thought all schools were doing it already.

Yes, new testing will be interesting. Funny, he wants students who can problem-solve, etc., and his decisions are research-based, but research has shown that testing doesn't test students ability to problem-solve, etc. I am afraid they need to think it through a little longer before enacting any changes.

6. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Jan 29, 2009

I didn't get a chance to hear it, so I need to go back and read and things. What I find interesting is he wants

Together we’ll make Ohio among the first states to place 21st century skills like creativity, problem solving, communication and leadership at the center of its curriculum.

I find it funny that creativity and problem solving are at the top of his list, two of things the arts teach kids! yet we get overlooked as crafty time and cut from schools! argh!

I also get annoyed that teachers are required to be highly qualified in their area, yet a general education elementary teacher can teach art and music and whatever else. I am highly qualified in my area of visual art, but cannot teach reading or math, so WHY is it ok for someone else to teach art etc. when they are not highly qualified? That just irks me a lot!

7. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jan 29, 2009

I wouldn't know where to start if I had to teach art! What about Drama? Our Drama teacher's specialization is Language Arts (basically Englaish and Lit); however, we have been told we will lose a point on the report card if a Fine Arts person doesn't teach Drama. I think both are qualified to teach this class (not an extra-curricular).

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2009

I think the additional days added to the school year stinks. What's the purpose other than additional instruction time? OUr school already exceeds the # of hours each day, so adding more days to the year would be horriffic for me. I love my summers off.

I'm also interested to see where the funding is coming from.

And the residency program for teachers....what is that all about? Is it an excuse to pay teachers less money for those years until they become "real" teachers? How long is this residency program supposed to last? What are the parameters of the program and what are the goals and requirements? As if we need another reason to have people NOT become teachers.

I know I sound jaded and probably shouldn't. I just hate it when people come up with "educational reforms" and none of it is coming from people who are actually working with the kids.

If they want to do reform, how about lowering class sizes? How about putting two certified teachers in each classroom in inner city or poor performing schools? How about taking those inner city and poor performing schools and only having about 10 kids with those 2 certified teachers so the teachers really CAN individualize the instruction for those kids. I'll bet that would do more to increase the "scores" they keep looking for more than anything else.

9. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2009

Here's a link to the full proposal.

I have no idea where he is going to get the money for this. And while I support 100% making it easier to get underperforming teachers out of the classroom, I am very nervous about teachers' advancement being based on student performance. Not much of an incentive to work in urban schools or with special education students.

I really dislike the addition of the 20 days. Unless the plan also includes funding to air condition our buildings.

I have not read the text of the full plan completely yet. Please tell me there's something about class size reduction in there. (Not that I'm holding my breath.) That, right there, is the key and they always seem to ignore it.

I will be very interested to see how this all plays out.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 29, 2009

I'm hopeful. His views on changing the structure of education are interesting. Funding for EVERYTHING in Ohio is going to be tricky for some time, but the educational system has needed a legal overhaul for longer than I've lived here.

11. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 29, 2009

We have had full day K for several years too. A lot of area schools don't though, and when we get a move-in you can really tell the difference. I imagine some parents will be mad about the 20 extra days, but some will probably like it. It would save $ on childcare for some. We do have A/C, but it is hard to keep the kids on-task when the weather is nice. I didn't see anything about class size reduction, but I agree that they should consider it a priority.

12. lowrider_7

lowrider_7 New Member

Jan 30, 2009

I have taught in Ohio for four years now. I see how teachers' rights slowly
    get chipped away as time goes by. Now Mr. Strickland proposes to add 20 days
    onto the school year and also increase the length of the school day.

We currently go 182 days. 20 more days would be an increase of 11% (rounded)
    to the school year. No where in this proposal did I see where he mentioned
    increasing teachers' pay accordingly.

Assuming he attempts to lengthen the school day by 1 hour, that is a 14%
    increase over our current time on the job. Again, does he plan to increase our
    pay that extra 14%?

Considering our state's budget crisis, I doubt it.

If Mr. Strickland had stood before the people and said "I am going to make
    police officers stay on the job for 3 extra hours per day, without pay" then
    the F.O.P would be in an uproar, and rightly so. I am shocked the OEO
    supported this proposal.

That is basically what he is doing to teachers with this proposal (as stated).
    As for the rest of his proposals: We already have a 1st year teacher mentoring
    program in place. We use research and technology to guide how we educate our
    students, and no we do not have them "sit in rows and stair at the board while
    the teacher lectures."

As school districts are finally getting the hang of No Child Left Behind's, now
    we are thrown another curve that will completely revamp our system.

13. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jan 30, 2009

I'll say it again--Yes, I agree there are bad teachers, but I still think the majority of his criticism of low performing students is placed on teachers. Nowhere did he mention the accountability of parents. This bothers me because I work very hard to educate the students I have, but there is very little parental support.

Strickland is way off base with this plan. Some of it sounds good, but not realistic.

14. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2009

I am trying to keep in mind that he was endorsed by the unions and am hoping for good stuff. I was really offended when I heard him say on the news last night something to the effect of, (this is not a direct quote but rather the gist of what he said):

If teachers complain about the longer school year and want to go teach in Kentucky, I say to them, 'I hope you like Lexington or Louisville.'

:huh:

I know there are a lot of things to iron out in the plan. And the phasing in of the extra days is supposed to be 4 days added every two years - so over 10 years.

There's no way they can add a month to our contract year without paying more. I don't know that we can assume they don't intend to increase pay. But still. :unsure:

15. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2009

I agree....that's why I suggested the 2 certified teachers in each classroom in low performing schools and no more than 10 kids. If the parents aren't going to provide the appropriate support, and we know more than likely that'll never happen, then we have to staff the classrooms appropriately so these kids get the best of what we have to offer.

If a situation like that were to occur, we'd have more long term teachers flocking like flies to a cow pattie to these under performing schools and things just might turn around. I'm not bashing new teachers at all, but people have said over and over again how we need experienced teachers in these low performing schools but they don't want to work there because of the environment.

I still say they need to talk to the teachers that actually WORK in these schools to see what needs to happen to really make effective change in these schools.

16. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2009

I agree 100% with everything you have posted on this thread.

I thought that Strickland DID meet with educators, though. And a lot of the stuff on the plan does sound like something teachers would have put together. But there is some critical stuff missing and some that makes me go :rolleyes:

17. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jan 30, 2009

At first, I was very excited to have a friend of education, and a friend of southern Ohio in the highest position. After reading that speech, I am very alarmed at what I read.

I agree that there are some fine points made, of course lacking the specifics of how it is to occur. I am very frightened at the absurdity of evaluating teachers on student performance. His so called career ladder just got the rungs sawed in half on my end of it. I teach special education by choice. I cannot *FORCE* my students to pass some stupid test that is written at least 3 grade levels above their current achievement level. Therefore, I cannot be rewarded for performance, and cannot advance beyond just a teacher (regardless of the fact that I am now a teacher leader, and I serve as a mentor). It totally perturbs me when everyone continually insists on viewing education as a one size fits all system. We are leaving students behind every day because I cannot meet their needs in the context of the core curriculum.

I just hope and pray that this will get shot down at some point and get some major revisions.

I did hear some input from OEA, so the union is aware of the issues of a longer school day & year. Local contracts have been negotiated based on a certain time frame. All of those negotiations could be revisited with longer working hours.

I personally wouldn't care if the school year were changed. I do work in a modernized building with AC. However, I agree about the warm weather...students are lost when they're dreaming about being outside. As it is, I see students that are totally done after the test. The last month of school is basically a waste of time. They couldn't care less...they know the test is the be all end all, and once it's finished, why try anymore??

Sorry for the novel, but it seems to have struck a chord with me.

18. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 31, 2009

I am curious to see how the unions will react when the union endorsed governor-our "education" governor-lengths our school year and our school day without increasing our pay. I do not disagree that our education system in Ohio needs reforming, and actually, I am not against a longer day or year, but I also know I want to be paid for my time.
    I also am a little frightened by the fact that he assumes the low performing schools are the result of the teachers. I work my butt off-and I am WAY too stressed when I leave the building-to have the governor feel that I am the reason my students can't pass an unfair test. Our parents are not held accountable. Not one iota. I can only do so much in 7 hours of time. I can lead the horse to the water, but I can't make him drink it. I suffer daily to see that my hard work can be undone in an evening at home. The parents of the students I teach do not value education-plain and simple. Until districts;until the state government come up with a feasible plan to hold parents accountable for their child's education, I do not see any reform becoming successful.
    Just my two cents.

19. lowrider_7

lowrider_7 New Member

Jan 31, 2009

The Columbus Dispatch said the OEA supported this measure 100%.

After visiting the website, that seems true to me also. When we start the new school year and they pass out the union dues sheet, I will not be signing. A union is supposed to work for its members. I never once was asked my opinion on Stickland's proposals.

If I had to guess, I would say someone got paid off higher up in the OEA to back this measure. I wont support a union that does not value the input of its members

20. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 31, 2009

My school is non-union and at-will (as most charter schools are), but I'm just grateful to have gotten my foot in the door of a school that supports their staff and students. I support the ideals NEA as a whole but am not a member, so what OEA decides is outside of my realm.

That being said, I'm withholding my judgement until the budget is released. That will be the true answer to all of our questions and concerns.

21. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Well, we'll see what he has to say about the budget on Monday.

I doubt all of this will come to fruition.

22. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2009

Let's hope it doesn't sevenplus. At least some of it.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 2, 2009

Governor Strickland Unveils Budget Today
    Karen Kasler, Ohio Public Radio, Associated Press
    COLUMBUS, OH (2009-02-02)

Ohio Governor Ted Strickland is expected to release details of an ambitious plan to increase state aid for education and solve the state's longstanding school funding problem.

Strickland is scheduled to present his two-year budget plan later this morning. The proposal promises a $925,000,000 increase in state education funding and an expansion in children's health care.

The Democratic governor has pledged not to raise taxes. Strickland said the state will be able to fund the proposal and weather a projected $7 billion budget deficit by raising state fines and shrinking the budgets of many state agencies by 10 to 20 percent.

Strickland's budget plan also relies on an expected $3.4 billion from an upcoming federal stimulus package.

24. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2009

Yeah, and he's also going to raid the state's "rainy day fund".

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 3, 2009

If this isn't a rainy day, it's looking mighty overcast! :2cents:

26. SouthernBuckeye

SouthernBuckeye Companion

Feb 3, 2009

Reading all this sure makes me glad I moved from Ohio to NC to teach. I did teach for 1 year in OH last year in a charter school and it was the most horrendous experience ever. Now I am in a truly wonderful school in NC and I do not regret it one bit.

However...I'm 24 and single with no kids so it was easy for me to just up and relocate.

Hearing about all this makes me so glad I left--I thought much of what Ohio did already was a dog and pony show...now NC isn't perfect either, but I'm glad I came here because now I look forward to working with my children instead of dreading it like I did last year. ;)

27. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 3, 2009

Our supt. commented to the news about the fact that we are already in debt & it would cost 2 mill to make the school year longer! :eek:

28. ByCandleLight

ByCandleLight Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

Amen to that!

I want to see an educational plan that reads along the lines of:

We will be the first state to fine/garnish government benefits if the child receiving those benefits exceeds the maximum number of absentee days.

We will be the first state that demands parents take classes on how to help children complete homework

We will be the first state that addresses that fact that the majority of failing students come from broken homes because babies are having babies and are more worried about becoming MILFS than raising their child. One 16 year old student of mine thinks it's cute that her kid can cuss and hits people. He's two. I wonder if it will still be cute when he's 16 himself? Another who just had her baby says that it's great having a kid in HS because you don't want to be old when your kid reaches their teenage years. Nah...this way you can party with your child and get drunk with him/her on the weekends. Whoo hoo! Yet another girl gave birth on a Monday and went out clubbing on that Friday. She passes out baby pictures and talks about the 40 dollar Nikes she bought her son, but her mother watches him every single day, and she's pregnant again. In our school of under 400...we currently have 18 girls that are pregnant. That's just the ones who are pregnant...not the ones that have kids already. And I wouldn't trust a single one of them with a dog, much less a developing human being. Their children will no doubt perpetuate the endless cycle of not giving a crap about education, talking trash to teachers, and being a general PITA. Not because they're born "bad" but because they're being raised by a bunch of selfish snots with the mental maturity of toddlers.

Where's the government plan to address this? Why do teachers get dragged over the rocks and parents get coddled? Where's the accountability in this country? It's alright for a 16 year old to drive a car, but he can't handle the responsibility of turning in his own homework? Where's the plan to handle that gem of logic?

29. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2009

Whoa....nicely written. I applaud you. According to the Ohio governor, it's all the teachers fault. ;)

30. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Feb 8, 2009

:clap::2up: Candle ~ any thoughts of moving to Ohio & entering politics??? I think I :wub: you!