Ohio and PARCC

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Missy, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 1, 2015

So Ohio has dumped PARCC testing after one horrendous year.

Any ideas what will replace it? I have heard some rumors of AIR, but I don't know if it has tests to cover all of the required testing areas.

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 1, 2015

Maybe they'll lead the charge to sanity and just not put a test in place!

Okay, wishful thinking time is over.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 1, 2015

No idea but who wants to bet on how long it will take them to decide? I love not knowing what's going on... It makes planning for next year so easy!

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 1, 2015

Just saw that on my fb. OH spent 26 million on PARCC last year according to the article I read! That article also said they were leaning toward using AIR, but nothing has been decided. My state is one of the 11 still in for PARCC. I wish we would drop it. A test reduction bill did go through in our state but they only agreed to reduce testing for high school students. I guess over testing 9 year-old students is no big deal. Cynical me believes this is only due to the large number of HS juniors and seniors who were opting themselves out of state testing anyway (in many schools, it was upwards of 90% of students). Now the state doesn't have to figure out what to do with that situation.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2015

Having gone through two rounds of PARCC, I prefer the format of the AIR tests. They're much more in the familiar format of the OGTs / OAAs. The important thing is that the amount of classroom time dedicated to testing drop. I had to proctor tests for grades 3-12 twice this past year as well as a round of OGTs. This took me away from my students for 36 days. Teaching them is more important than testing them.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 1, 2015

Arkansas is in a weird situation with PARCC. The governer released a statement that we were pulling out of PARCC. The state board of education refused to do so. The governor then issued an order to the commissioner basically telling him to order the state board to pull out. The next board meeting is July 9, at which point the board will have 3 new members, all appointed by the governor (new governor who took office in January). It will be interesting to see the outcome.

8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 1, 2015

So now that Ohio has dropped PAARC are they using the results of this past year for their 3rd grade pass or be retained smoke and mirrors?

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2015

The 3rd grade reading test, at least when I proctored in May, was the Ohio Achievement Assessment (OAA). It surprised me when I saw it, but there it was.

10. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Jul 1, 2015

Yep, the 3rd grade reading test in Ohio was still the OAA, but the 3rd grade math was PARCC. Crazy!

11. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 1, 2015

I'm with cat on this. IF I had to chose a test vendor, I'd go with AIR. It was so much easier to use and navigate. I filled in as building test coordinator and much preferred the AIR system over PARCC. One can only hope that reasonable decisions will be made regarding our students. I also agree that it is incredibly difficult to plan for the next year when we're in the dark about what's coming.

12. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2015

You beat me to it, karebear. Wondering if we can keep giving these tests on paper.

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 1, 2015

I think it is inevitable to test online. Timing is the question. My school fared pretty well testing online. We had minimal problems during testing. I actually liked what I saw of it. It becomes second nature once students practice computer skills.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 1, 2015

3rd graders took reading OAA instead of PARCC because we needed scores in a timely fashion due to Ohio's third grade reading guarantee.

That was a quick decision; I hope AIR is an improvement. So much for any use out of last year's data (when it comes this winter!).

16. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 1, 2015

Useless data...let's see what that's like for once :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 1, 2015

Why can't we all just go back to the test we all took growing up..what was it called? The Iowa basic skills test?

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2015

I took the California Achievement Test, but I didn't grow up in Ohio.

19. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 1, 2015

What was the difference between this and the CST or Smarter balanced test we give now?

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 1, 2015

I took the OGTs. What a joke they are.

I don't mind the computer testing. Our kids didn't care for it in some ways though. They struggle with typing. They'd probably do better if they could take it on their phones!

21. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 1, 2015

Our 2nd graders still take the IOWA test of basic skills.

22. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 1, 2015

That doesn't work because it doesn't help Pearson make hundreds of millions, nor does it help computer companies make billions in selling testing computers to school districts.

23. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 2, 2015

Sorry for the hijack, but can anyone tell me how the 3rd grade guarantee thing is working out? The only elementary teacher I still know in OH is my dad, and he works at a really wealthy school where the kids always passed anyway, so no issues for his school. They didn't have any that failed. But what about the inner city schools that have 50% or more failing? Did they really retain all of those students? I did a field experience at a school once that literally had 6-9% passing, and I definitely though of them when the whole guarantee thing came about.

My friend teaches HS in OH and she said that she knew her elementary had some that failed, but then they went to summer school and magically passed the test there. Do they somehow make the test really easy for the summer session or something? I'm genuinely curious. I know there are exceptions for students with IEPs, but as a former inner city 3rd grade teacher I had kids in my class who were 2+ years behind without IEPs. No way would a few weeks of summer school suddenly make them pass a 3rd grade test.

24. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 2, 2015

My understanding is the smoke and mirrors works this way.

If a student fails the test. They are NOT "retained", they go to a 3-4 combo class, where they retake the test throughout the year, when they pass the test(at anytime), they have magically made it back to the 4th grade side of the combo class and move on as if nothing happened.

25. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 2, 2015

What happens if they never pass the test throughout the year? Do they still move on to 5th grade the following year, or stay in the combo class? In many of the inner city schools I did field experiences in I honestly don't think even an entire extra year to pass the test would have worked for the majority of the kids, assuming the test was the same level of difficulty each time. In the school that was at 6-9% passing, I was placed in a 3rd grade room and there was literally one student in the entire class who could read at all (and I mean literally read any connected text, not just read at a 3rd grade level).

26. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 2, 2015

You were on the right track. They can in fact take other tests to pass. They never have to pass the state test.

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Ea...nt-Promotion-and-the-Third-Grade-Reading-Guar

27. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2015

Many districts give the Terra Nova as a "back-up" to the OAA, and it is much easier.

I teach in an inner ring suburban district where every building is Title 1, and this past year we had all but one student pass, and that child will take a test again next week.

28. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 2, 2015

My school uses the Terra Nova as the alternate. We had only one student not pass, so the Terra Nova was administered again last week. I have not heard results yet. To my understanding the Terra Nova has much different guidelines so it can be repeated as many times as desired. I have not proctored that test so I do not have any personal experience. Also, the IEP exception is very vague. Basically, only ID (CD) students can be exempted.

29. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2015

I had a student on a speech IEP who was exempt (but he passed).

30. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 2, 2015

I don't teach 3rd so I am by no means an expert, but my 3rd grade colleague had to amend every IEP that had said exempt except for the most severe ones. Our admin wasn't very knowledgeable, and has now retired. Hopefully we'll have better guidance with our new leadership.

31. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 2, 2015

So basically the 3rd grade reading guarantee's standards are set so low that it is fake. Nice job Ohio:)

32. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 2, 2015

It is like most things in the educational systems, if there is a way to get out of following the intent of the laws, they will find a way.

It does make me wonder why so many highly-educated people are crying about how horrible it is for these kids to have such high stakes attached to the standardized testing when they either know that it is so porous it doesn't matter or they don't investigate the truth but spout inaccurate information.

33. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 2, 2015

I complain about high stakes tests because it is cruel and unusual punishment for my students to be held to the same standard. I have 100 page reports from a qualified school psych that tells me my students are below grade level, as well as mountains of CBM data. I don't need this test to confirm it. Furthermore, my evaluation as a teacher is directly tied to the performance of a population that I knowlingly chose to serve. I have no control over my students' performance on test day, as compared to some other teachers who are evaluated using a vendor assessment that can be repeated as many times as needed to achieve the desired results. I do not argue accountability or even student growth measures, as long as they are fair.

34. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2015

And let's remember, many of these kiddos are 8 years old, don't know where they are sleeping that night or how they are getting "home" from school, etc.

I am sure Ohio is not the only state with issues and ways around them. When our governor starts his presidential campaign, that will be something to see.

35. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 2, 2015

What do you mean by this point?

36. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 2, 2015

I was referring to your post (#30), where you were less than complimentary to Ohio. We are dealing with people, and especially for young children, life problems can supersede their interest in "performing" on something that is not really important in their view.

37. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 2, 2015

Oh, yeah, every state deals with this.

I am not taking a dig at any of the kids, I am taking a dig at the educational leaders of the state(those in CA do the same) that have the audacity to make a reading guarantee(because kids are being passes on without being able to read) and then set the standards so low that everyone passes.

Edit: or maybe I am wrong. Maybe Ohio had too many students leaving 3rd grade not able to read at level(CA certainly has this problem) and the reading guarantee actually raised the standards of teachers and students alike and it worked?