Ohhh, the anxiety!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by WhatchaDoin?, Apr 24, 2010.

1. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 24, 2010

How are you dealing with the anxiety of the job search? I know many fields of employment are hard for job seekers right now, but I think teaching is especially hard. We only have a certain "season" in which we can seek employment.

How are you coping? Do you have a proven anxiety buster? Any one else out there subbing as well, and doubly stressed?

Just wondering....:blush:

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Apr 24, 2010

I was just like this last year. I would cry and get so frustrated. I was angry. I even ALMOST gave up. I got rejection letters, interviews with no calls.

Just do not give up! I know its hard but do not give up!.

4. mistah

mistah Rookie

Apr 24, 2010

bubblysub.....weigh out the importance of subbing vs. job searching...I've had to do that this year...while subbing is important, you HAVE to put urself out in other counties....r u willing to move in order to find a job? If so, PM me, and I have some websites that may be able to help you. I agree with VANewbie (for the most part)...the part I would change would be this....IF you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that teaching is what you're meant to do....DO NOT GIVE UP!!
    You have to stay confident and know that jobs are out there....think outside of the box as to how you will be more appealing than the next person as well...again, I can give you some ideas as to what I've done to see results...you'll make it happen but only if you believe...u will achieve!!!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2010

I'm going through the same thing as well! I am not subbing very much, though, to give me more time to job search and to cut down on my stress (I do have a part-time job, though, that is much less stressful, that covers my bills and that is very accommodating if I get an interview on short notice).

6. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 25, 2010

Thanks, all! Sometimes it's just nice to know that it's not just me. VANewbie, I totally agree with your post. I try to keep a positive outlook, especially around my family (3 yr old, 6 yr. old, hubby), but sometimes I just want to scream and break something!!!

mistah, relocating won't work for me. My husband has a pretty good job right now, which is good, considering my sporadic income. I'm also the one who has to make sure the kids are on the bus, doctor appointments, available if they are sick, etc. I really don't want to be more than 45 minutes away from them, if possible. Of course, this adds another layer of stress, because if I do find a job, and it doesn't jive with my kids hours, then I have to find additional childcare...... deep breath, I don't need to worry about that until the time comes.

"You have to stay confident and know that jobs are out there....think outside of the box as to how you will be more appealing than the next person as well...again, I can give you some ideas as to what I've done to see results..."

I would love some ideas, mistah! Not only am I sticking close to home, but I am also in a rural area. It seems that many people are subbing a couple years, just to get a foot in the door for an assisting position. Then, after a year or two, they interview for teaching positions. There are also two "teacher" colleges within 45 minutes from me, steadily pumping out wonderful new teachers.

I've been trying to exercise more lately, as an outlet. I am certainly not a fit person, so this is really a new experience to focus on, as well. I'm also looking at this as I time I can step back and do a little self-improving. And, of course, being able to "talk" on here has helped with the anxiety in a HUGE way! Thanks, guys and gals!

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Apr 25, 2010

BubbySub-
    We have so much in common!! I left a very good job to stay at home and raise my children. When my youngest was in preschool (a cooperative one in which I got to help out in the classroom twice a month) I knew what I wanted to do. I went back to school for a masters in teaching. I subbed while going to school and had lots of interviews. Silly me, I turned them down because my youngest was in still in preschool (1/2 day) and I wanted to be home with him. When I graduated, I was offered a job (Universal Pre-K, 1/2 day program) which was so awesome because now my son would be in 1/2 day Kindergarten and I could still be home with him. I have been doing this for 2 years now and just gave my notice that this will be my last year. The pay is terrible and I really need something full time now. Unfortunately, although I have been applying like crazy, I haven't even gotten an interview. I think because I have been out of the picture (not subbing), no one knows me and so I get no calls.
    Now, I have made a brochure, collected some really great letters of rec. and next week, I will put together a folder with my resume, cover letter, brochure, and letters of rec and go to some local districts in a suit and request to be put on their sub lists for next year. Hopefully, this will help me stand out a bit. It is so frustrating because I know that I am good at what I do, I know that I am doing what I was MEANT to do, and yet I don't get a chance to prove it! I won't give up though!! Good luck to you-here's to jobs for everyone in 2010!!

8. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

No, I don't think that was silly at all. If the economy hadn't tanked, would you still think it was silly? 20/20 hindsight can be awful. I was looking for a job in 1993, when the economy was pretty bleek, as well. There were a lot of things I kick myself for not doing all the way back then...

We do have a lot in common. I also left a job that I truly enjoyed. I basically left on principle. Good luck while you visits the schools. I think they will see your plan of attack as a plus.

On a side note, has anyone noticed how the hard things are easy, and the easy things turn near impossible? I thought my resume would be the toughest part. Now I'm done with that, but I feel like I'm pulling teeth to get letters of rec. I am usually quick to turn things around on myself, but I truly don't think this is a reflection on me as a teacher. I think spring is just a busy time. But still...:unsure:

9. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Apr 26, 2010

On a side note, has anyone noticed how the hard things are easy, and the easy things turn near impossible? I thought my resume would be the toughest part. Now I'm done with that, but I feel like I'm pulling teeth to get letters of rec. I am usually quick to turn things around on myself, but I truly don't think this is a reflection on me as a teacher. I think spring is just a busy time. But still...

I too am someone that doesn't drag their feet and gets things done ASAP which makes it frustrating when others do not. Just remember that the very start of the year and the end of the year are the craziest times for most people in education so be patient and if it's been longer than a week then don't feel bad to casually inquire about your requested letter. They may have forgotten!