Oh, things 6th grade boys come up with

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 27, 2011

We did an activitiy requiring magazines on Friday. One of my girls brought a National Geographic, and it had a really cool picture of Cleopatra on it. My kids were passing it around because they thought it was neat. I was thinking how great that was and how I was going to look for some older issues at the library sale or maybe get a subscription because they were enjoying it so much. That was, until, one of my boys proclaims:

"Hey, look!!! These sheep are humping!!!""" :eek:hmy:

The sheep were actually jumping over each other, but in the mind of a 6th grade boy, they were humping. I quickly put the magazine behind my desk and talked to the kid. I have to admit, though, I was biting my cheek so I wouldn't grin because it was kind of funny. :p

Beth

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 27, 2011

Ah, when I read the title of the thread and saw National Geographic, I was worried for you, lol.

I thought you were going to say they got excited about the photos of naked people. So you really got off easy on that one!

4. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

I had a teacher in high school that had a Nat Geo magazine that we were discussing one day. It had naked women inside it and... she took a sharpie and drew bikinis one very single one of the women.

Looking back, that was the most hilarious thing I have ever seen. Jungle tribal women, wearing black bikini tops!

5. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Aug 28, 2011

Lol, that's what my mom told me! Yeah, I kind of forgot about the naked people who run around in them, so I really am lucky it was just sheep "humping." Maybe, National Geographic for Kids from here on out.

Beth

6. jaszmyn

jaszmyn Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

My fifth grade students also got a kick out of a national geographic pic last week. The picture was of a tribal woman breastfeeding her baby. I responded to the students that it was perfectly natural and downplayed it a little. I always make a disclaimer about "maturity" before we do a magazine or newspaper activity. They usually want to show me their mature, so they don't exclaim out. But sometimes it will make you blush a little. LOL!!