oh the wedding horror!!!!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Learner4Life, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

My boyfriend's brother got married this weekend and it was the most stressful wedding I have ever been involved in!!!!! The bride and groom had been engaged for a year and a half but had only been planning this wedding for 3 months. The bride and her mother fought over EVERYTHING. The bride had a fit if she talked about wedding stuff for more than a half hour. There were issues with the caterers, the tent people, the DJ (they wound up not having one), the father/daughter dance... EVERYTHING! The worst part of it, for me, was the lack of communication! I asked them several times if they needed help with anything and they politely refused but then the week before the wedding came and it was mass chaos trying to fit everything in! They didn't even have a Judge to do their wedding until the week before!!!
    The day before the wedding everyone is freaking out. People are ordering eachother around, ideas are being voiced (in the wrong way, yelling and screaming), the bride hates the decorations but won't tell anyone because she doesn't want to hurt their feelings, grandma steps in and tries to take over. The bride and groom dissappear for hours to get the stereo equipment and then come back to say everything is wrong. I was given the job of going to get the food for the rehersal dinner IN ANOTHER TOWN 30 MIN AWAY, and then while I was gone was given a job to do DURING THE WEDDING. When I return from getting the food, one of the groomsmen jumps in on my conversation with the bride about what my job is AND YELLS AT ME, sending me into tears.
    Then the day OF the wedding, my boyfriend dilly dallys around telling me there will be plenty of time for me to get ready after I drop him off at the grooms house. PLENTY of time he tells me. I get back to the house and have A HALF HOUR before he calls me and litterally says to me "Don't freak out, don't hurry, but we need you over here to help ASAP."
    Now, by this time, I am under so much stress trying to figure out what's going on without being told that I end up in tears. This wedding puts pressure on me too because, well, "we're next" (as 90% of the wedding guests tell us). I wanted to look pretty too! I wanted to show everyone that I diserved to be with my boyfriend. I know it sounds silly but I wasn't really rational at this point.
    Alright, I'm done with my rant. Anyone else have horrible wedding stories???
    P.S. I realize there is a lot of stress involved with weddings and the bride and groom shouldn't be blamed for all of this but I also feel as though a lot of this stress could have been avoided if there was better communication amongst everyone.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 4, 2008

I think you would get an absolute kick out of reading all the horror stories in http://www.etiquettehell.com/ I am addicted to this site and thank the powers that be that my own wedding was calm (I only had one minor annoyance moment when the DJ played The Electric Slide against my orders).

4. time2teach

time2teach Companion

Aug 4, 2008

How horrible! We eloped....no stress..LOL. However, I was in a wedding once...the brides great granny passed away that morning, the bride and maid-of-honor argued constantly before the actual wedding, during rehersal etc. (the maid of honor was a huge flirt with the ushers, and she was married, the bride took offense to that of course). The day of the wedding the bride and groom got smashed before the rehearsal, so they were totally drunk. Bride and maid of honor end up in a fist fight out in the parking lot...BEFORE they cut the cake...LOL It was crazy!!! But nothing like your experience. Look at it this way.....after what you went through this weekend you know how NOT to plan a wedding. :)

5. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

Omigosh! I'm stressed out just reading about that wedding! Just goes to show that you need to plan ahead, allow people to help and respectfully tell people no when they have ideas you don't like. Remember its just one day and everyone should be focused on love and celebration! :)

Good luck with your planning...

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 4, 2008

My sister's wedding was a disaster! My grandfather is a minister and was going to do the ceremony--until the day before when he got tired of her bridezilla antics and quit. She uninvited my grandmother and aunt who flew over 1,000 miles to be there. They cooked their own food, and prepared the ham ahead of time. The groomsmen put it in the freezer the night before (not sure why), but they were frozen solid the next day, and the oven didn't work at her reception site. Those are just a few of the highlights!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 4, 2008

NO NO NO NO why did i read this thread.

I don't think mine will go that badly.
    1) have dress already
    2) have wedding site booked
    3) have brides maid dresses picked out
    4) picked out invitations
    5) bought my wedding band
    6) working on dj or band (first one didn't work out)
    7) have an idea of what I want for bouquets
    8) have already bought the glass vase for center pieces working on candles and glass rock thingys.
    9) working on place card holders
    10) guest list complete (i think)
    11) started a seating chart (yeah I"m nuts)
    12) decided were we are going for our honeymoon

We have 11 months 14 days until our wedding.

8. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

I hate all things wedding, so we got married in Vegas. Had a ball, everyone enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Kelly :)

9. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

JamieM -- at least no one can say you are not prepared...

Th more horror stories i hear the more i try to press for vegas... but no.... he wants to have a BBQ and just happen to get married in the middle of it... =)

10. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

AofJ - We actually talked about doing that too, but decided that Vegas had better shows! :)

Kelly :)

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

Wow, my wedding went perfectly compared to the ones posted! We basically did not have any stress because we planned it a year in advance AND had the ceremony and reception at locations where the "people" took care of everything and all we had to do was show up. I don't know how people can have weddings these kinds of crazy weddings and live to tell about them!!

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 4, 2008

That's funny!! The Wedding Ham! :lol:

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

I realized after the cake person left that the entire four tiers were sliding off their platform....

And that was just the beginning. We KNEW we should have eloped!! (I try not to think about that day too often....)

14. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

I do not have any horror stories, but at least you know how to make yours better! You learned from their mistakes and it will be perfect :)

BTW-wedding coordinators, although expensive, take all the communication problems and stress away as they do it for you.

15. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 4, 2008

Jaime, you make me look bad! I am not nearly that close.
    1) bought a pattern to have someone make my dress
    2) started my guest list
    3) looking at locations
    4) think I have a date
    5) eek!

What date did you pick? I want July 3, 2009, so I have 11 months to plan. We'll be close!

16. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 4, 2008

We ran to the courthouse one day after class let out. We joke about going to Vegas and having a "real" wedding. :)

17. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I really don't care nearly as much as he does.

Isn't that backwards? Shouldn't the bride care more?

I always thought I'd have it in my parent's yard, but we decided we needed neutral territory. ;)

18. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

actually, the wedding I mentioned, the bride didn't care until it was like, a month away!!!! AND SHE HAD IT IN HER PARENTS YARD!!!! ;)

It turns out that there was more drama that went on after I intoxicated myself. Oh well, it's all over and done with now.

I guess, the really important part of it all was that the bride and groom eventually had fun, and they did. I can look back on it and laugh and know exactly what NOT to do for my own wedding.

19. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

My friend got married during a BBQ. It was a surprise to everyone except their parents. She had her favorite cake as a wedding cake --a Dairy Queen ice cream cake!:D

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

My husband picked out our colors, flowers, music, decoration, and designed/made the invites himself. The only thing I did was pick out the favor-pirate bubles from Oriental Trading Company. He even had Martinelli's flown in from California because it was his favorite drink. He's such a girly man. :p

21. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

I do not know why people have weddings in backyards. It seems more stressful!! my SIL went to a wedding in a yard and it was all muddy from rain the night before, the bathrooms in the house got backed up, and the food tables were all crooked (muddy lawn). I hope mud didn't on the girl's white dress!!

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

Jaimemarie,

You sound ready! Don't forget to invite all of us!!

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

We picked June 27th but no one had it available so we went with July 18th. We booked it July 10th I think. So don't wait to long or you may not find a place for the date you want.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

The two weddings I have attended in peoples yards were wonderful. The first was my high school math teachers it was a sunny day. The second was my close friend it was misting in the morning but hte afternoon turned out nice. I actually had the most fun at her wedding!

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2008

Has anyone been married in Minneapolis, MN? Where?

26. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

You are going to be fine! You are already doing plans that a lot of people wait until the last minute to do. Good for you! One thing you might add is a list of different pics you want your photographer to take. This helped out my photographer a lot. My motto was "No matter what happens, at the end of the night I will be married. That is all that matters". The day of my wedding the girl who was suppose to sing didn't show up, and my sound person didn't show up either. I didn't stress and it worked out fine.

27. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

I think my aunt is going to do the photos.

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

Having been married more than once & having been the soloist at about 5 weddings I have stories

The One story I have was at one of my own weddings I woke sick as a dog we almost cancelled it because I was so sick (not nerves I was losing my dinner, lunch and breakfast for the last week!) the wedding was at 12:30 I finished "reviewing" my food intake at about 10:45 and then spent the next hour (almost a Hour) in the shower between standing and sitting. My best man thought I was drunk and was mad at first because he didn't get me that way. :lol:

BUT the best was when we got the Groom Drunk Thursday night and put him on a train to Chicago (from NY) we did put two sober friends on the train too with plane tickets back to NY with a limo waiting & his tux, he got there with :30 to spare on Saturday. (it cost us over $1500) The bride was not amused nor was her dad but it all turned out ok and they are still married going on 38 years, 20 years later her dad call all of us to his death bed and gave us all a smack up side the head and said that it was the funniest thing he had ever seen just not that day, he passed away a week later.

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

I know I will not get any invites to anybody's Wedding now! :(

30. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

haha Dave sorry. I'll send you a virtual link to my wedding if DF can hook it up some how. The wedding is going to be outside so not sure how that will work.