Oh the silliness - unnecessary really release for snow

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2011

Oh the silliness - unnecessary early release for snow

I'm not really complaining here (after all, I'm about to take a nap!) but my district went way overboard with the snow today. They called for an early release. The kids came in at 8:30 and were dismissed at 10...and it started snowing at 3:30! I'd love a delay tomorrow, but I really don't hope they call a snow day...that would mean a day of spring break lost!

Silly Southerners ;)

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2011

I don't know about you, but at my school, if we are here until a certain time, we legally have to feed the kids lunch. By the time we get everyone out of lunch, I think the buses are already occupied with another run. It might have been a choice between 10:00 or the end of the day when it would be potentially snowing.

4. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Jan 10, 2011

We were dismissed at 12:43 and it hasn't even started snowing yet. Its exam time at the high school level and we couldn't give them today, so it's pushed back the whole schedule.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 10, 2011

It's supposed to start here tomorrow morning between 1 and 4, and snow all day. It will be interesting to see how they handle it...

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2011

Silver, I didn't think about the lunch thing....good point.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 10, 2011

We didn't even have school today and won't tomorrow either here in Alabama.

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2011

I'm sure we're in for it tomorrow. The snow isn't supposed to start until after rush hour in the morning. So we'll have school. And then watch the roads get worse and worse and the students get picked up one by one and then we'll dismiss at the regular time and it will take me 2 hours to get home (normally a 20 minute drive).

Can you tell I'm not looking forward to it?

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

Jan 10, 2011

We had our snow day today and didn't even get any snow. I think we were called due to icy bridges which likely thawed shortly after the sun rose.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 10, 2011

Well they called it -- snow day tomorrow. I didn't want one, but now that I have one part of me is happy. I took home a bit of extra work (in case of snow day) that I took home for Christmas break and never did :whistle:

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 10, 2011

It was 47 degrees (no precipitation of any kind either) at dismissal and some teachers refused to come outside for dismissal, which made the pick up line super slow.

I know some parents send their kids to school in shorts, and maybe that is why they stayed in. But something needs to give!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2011

How can they "refuse" to come outside for dismissal? Isn't that part of the job they've been hired to do?

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 10, 2011

Yes, it's a required duty.

It isn't very considerate to stay in because it forces those of us who are outside to not only stay out in the weather longer, but their kids come out to meet their parents' vehicles with only a few people on duty. It's just not as safe.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 10, 2011

47? That's beach weather here! :lol: Our kids go outside for recess until it gets below -15!

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 10, 2011

I know! Which is another reason I thought it was ridiculous people didn't want to go out "in the weather."

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

We have parents complaining to no end that there is school tomorrow, and many saying they will keep kids home. Granted, it's below freezing, precipitation is still coming down, there are power outages in many areas, and a few major roads closed in the city. Combined with a largely rural area, and I see their concern. Ordinarily when this happens, the district excuses absences. The issue is that students are taking midterm exams this week, which cannot be made up without a doctor's note. A parent note is not sufficient. It will get interesting...

17. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jan 10, 2011

Living in Montana the thought of a snow day is so crazy! How I wish we could have one of those! I remember one day in the last 20 or so years (when I was an elementary student) that school was cancelled due to extreme cold weather. That day, with wind chill, we were at -45. It was crazy, but that's the only day I ever remember canceling snow! Everyone with school off tomorrow - enjoy your day - relax, sleep and enjoy!!!

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

We're supposed to get snow tonight, but schools will be open tomorrow--schools are never closed because of weather. If the roads are bad, the school buses may be cancelled but schools remain open as most of our students walk. Although, it's been at least 2 years since buses were last cancelled.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

Our busses are supplied by the local districts, not by my school, so this is based purely on observation and not experience:

A big part of snow days is that it keeps the busses off the streets. The kids are safer, and no one is stuck for 5 or 6 minutes behind a bus that's loading or unlodading kids.

Plus, of course, it frees up maintenence workers from having to dig out the busses right away; they can concentrate on getting the rest of the facilities dug out.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

I agree, which is why the buses don't run. Our schools stay open because, as community schools, at least 80% of the students in my school board walk to school (or are dropped off by parents, but that's a different issue altogether). Our attendance is lower on those days when buses are cancelled, particularly in the older grades, but we are expected to run as close to a regular program as possible.

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 11, 2011

At least you were released before the snow. That happened to us last year (and snow here is extremely rare so people are very silly about it-it was only like an inch or 2). But they didn't release early, for whatever reason. Parents came and picked up kids all day-I had 6 by about 1:00-time goes much more slowly with less kids to entertain. Dismissal was a nightmare-some of our kids walk, we dismissed from the cafeteria, usually classes are taken outside-it took at least 45 mins to dismiss.

We have classes that will wait inside the door when it's cold (and here that's like 45 as teacherintexas commented). Parents get mad that the kids have to wait in the cold-hello? dress your kids warmer and come pick them up on time!

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

Because of court mandated desegregation, magnet schools, magnet programs within schools, and NCLB mandated school choice we have 487 bus drivers who take students far, far away from their neighborhoods. I would say that probably at least 45% of our students ride the bus, if not more, as the population of our school is changing. We have 23,000 of our 46,000 students district-wide who ride the school bus each day, many coming from very rural areas and with as many as two transfers to different buses. When we have ice on the roads and roads closed, it's a big deal.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

As a Catholic school, we have kids from something like 70 local districts.

When enough of the big ones close that it would make opening senseless, we close.

It becomes a problem when districts make the decision late; too many of our kids from further districts are already ON their busses at that point.

24. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

Our policy is that if the roads are not safe enough for the busses to run, then school is closed. We never cancel busses and still have school. We have 1-2 snow days a year, and most of the time teachers are still expected to report to school and have a work day in their classrooms. If a teacher feels it is too dangerous they can call in and say they are not coming, but they risk a loss in pay for the day. I don't know how they determine who loses pay or not, but I never have. We also can't have early release for weather. If we open school in the morning, we must run classes all day.

25. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

Jan 11, 2011

They just canceled school for us. The roads are only wet, no ice, and we have no snow.

26. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 11, 2011

I can completely understand cities in the southern states closing down for small amounts of snow. Southern states are more likely to get ice, which is much more dangerous to drive on. Southern states also don't get winter weather very often. It seems that it would be more cost effective to close things down for a couple days than buying and maintaining the equipment needed to clear the streets quickly.

We pretty much never close down. Fargo, ND is known for how well it keeps its streets in the winter. During our recent blizzards, the street department never stopped plowing. The main roads were in very good shape, and the smaller roads were kept mostly passable (if not nice). We also have a $1mil budget for snow removal...for a city of 96,000 people. That's over $100 per resident, which is a HUGE sum of money for just snow removal. Can you imagine what that would equate to in terms of Atlanta or Charlotte or Nashville?

27. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

Not snow... but I would love when I was in HS & we would have a delay because of the fog then they would call school for the day & it would be such a beautiful day!!! We could drive around & just hang out because at our school no school meant no practices!!!!

28. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

It's almost noon. The snow has been coming down for a while here. I think that all of the schools in Fairfield County are closing early. I'm headed for home in about ten minutes!

Drive safe!

29. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2011

I am pretty sure I will be able to make it out of work and to the farmer's market and home again before it ever starts here.

30. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 11, 2011

We have the same policy in my district, and it has always bugged me. Sometimes they will cancel school but make it an "optional" teacher workday. But it's not actually optional! You have to have what's called 'annual leave' pay, and new teachers don't get it. So if you don't have annual leave pay you get docked, but if you go in that day you still have to make up the snow day (of course) so you end up working twice for the same amount of pay. :(

31. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2011

I don't agree with that policy. If a teacher lives too far out and doesn't feel safe driving, how can the district dock them pay?

When we close, we close. No busses, walkers, or teacher workdays.

32. calislug

calislug New Member

Jan 11, 2011

We don't close for snow. Living in an area where we get quite a bit of it, there are no excuses for it. Sometimes we have a delayed start because the buses are too cold to start up, but that is it. As long as one certificated staff and one student is at school, it is considered school is open. If a parent doesn't feel comfortable sending their student because of weather, we have a code for that in our absences. As a staff member, I have quite a drive. My principal has said if I don't feel comfortable, I don't have to come in (obviously use a sub day). If I have a delay, I have another teacher who lives within walking distance who will take over my class. I have a set of emergency morning work and a set of emergency sub plans for either occasion. Just some advance planning and some understanding and everything works over here!

33. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 11, 2011

We don't have snow days, but hurricane days. Several times we have had the schools closed for students due to the coming storm, but teachers had to come in or take a personal day. Nice. Unsafe for children but OK for us? They have also cancelled school when it looks like the hurricane is coming our way, and it veers off and school ends up being closed on a nice day and then we have to make it up at Thanksgiving or Christmas.