Oh, The Giver...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Jan 24, 2008.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2008

This will probably sound ridiculous, but...

Do you ever have bursts of happiness? They last but a few moments - seconds - but are very intense. I'm a generally happy person, mind you, but these little bursts are extra special.

Well, as silly as that sounds I just had a brief burst of happiness. I am teaching The Giver, a book I have taught before and read several times. As I was reading just now, in preparation for tomorrow, the tenth and eleventh chapter...well, it just made me so happy. It is so brilliant - such a fascinating concept.

I hope that I can read this novel a hundred more times and be as engrossed in it then as I am now. Just had to share. :)

3. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Jan 24, 2008

This is my absolute favorite novel!! I taught it first thing this year. I love love love it!! Soooooo many great concepts to teach...so many connections to make! I will use it every year that I can!

4. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Jan 24, 2008

Too funny! I am just now rereading The Giver to refresh my memory since we start it in a couple weeks. I was just telling another English teacher earlier this week how lucky we are to have it in our curriculum since it is such a good read that never gets old. :D

5. nancy sv

nancy sv Rookie

Jan 24, 2008

Add me to list of those who loves that book!! It's wonderful!

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jan 24, 2008

Lois Lowry is a fantastic writer! How many authors do you know of that can appeal to both kids and adults, while including so much symbolism and morality education? The Giver is one of my favorite books of all time. My daughter read it in 6th grade (my first exposure to it) (I read it with her - different copies), then it was assigned in a college level American Lit course, then I designed a 5th grade lesson (1) based on the first chapter! Fabulous book.