Oh *^%& The basement is flooded

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by wldywall, Jun 9, 2008.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2008

Our basement is umm, er, was 90% finished. Well we have gotten one severe thunderstorm after another for five days. Hubbie and I checked the sump pumps at 1 am and everything was fine. At 4 am they both quit (burned out) and the basement now has 2-3 inches of water. We have pressed wood furniture down there, its gone. My daughter had a sleep over two days ago and brought her mattress downstairs and used my nephews mattress to sleep on, well, they did not obey me last night and get them upstairs. Ruined.

Oh, and my teaching stuff and 80% of the contents of my classroom is in the basement. My files, all of it easily runied. We are bringing things upstairs as quickly as we can, but well, we are not sure we can dry it all out. It will be at least two days before a company can come dry out the basement.

Thank god for insurance and an emergency fund.

*sigh*

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2008

wldywall-I am so sorry to hear about this. Maybe there will be more things that you can save.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

This weather has been CRAZY!!!! I'm sorry to hear about your basement!!! I was just checking the gutters this morning for the next bout of storms we are suppose to have!!!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 9, 2008

That's a real shame! Hope it's fixed soon.

6. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

I'm so sorry.

7. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2008

I am so sorry that this happened to you. My house flooded 2 years ago in a hurricane and getting things back together was not fun. Good Luck!!

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2008

Most of my boxes of files were the ones on the bottom of the stacks, the plastic items, that won't be damaged in water were on top. I have laid out all of my files and will be going through them to see what I have backed up on the computer. Those files I can just throw away and replace later in the summer by reprinting what I have to. It is the original documents that are wet that is freaking me out, or the original books that I get lessons out of, or the VHS movies that got damp. That is what has me upset.

The kids are upset about the XBox, its dead, floating. Over and out! LOL (a few weeks without video game fights, could be a good thing)

The awful couch that I hate is not salvageable....darn shame :D

The mattresses, well those are brand new and don't know if the one that is still on the floor can be saved.

We have a carpet drying company on the way out, they are going to try to save the carpeting. Lord willing they can keep it to the $600 limit, because if it is $2000, well that is what we paid for the carpet, including installation. We need the insurance but it only covers $5000 of damage and structure, and we need it for the structure.

Hubbie is racing the next storm to get gutters on the side of the house were water did get in by the windows, and it is already starting to rain!

This is going to be a very long day, isn't it?

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 9, 2008

OH NO! My grandparents flooded a few years ago and it was a mess. I know that those files will be hard to replace and this is not how you wanted to kick off your summer :hugs:

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2008

Forgot to say:

There were two real blessings in this, first our kids were sleeping downstairs, due to the heat, last night. There were power cords plugged in and on the floor in the water. Neither child was hurt by the electrical hazard

Oh, and people are already offering us stuff to replace what is lost, we have an offer of a couch and a mattress and free drywall work......the Lord is good!

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

Isn't that the truth...what wonderful people in your community & the couple of angels watching over your kiddos!!!

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 9, 2008

wldy - we had a small flood a couple years ago when our water heater broke in the middle of the night. It flooded a small area, but part of it was the closet where we store all our tax records!! I went right out and got plastic containers for all our files, in case of another flooding incident.

I'm sorry this happened to you! Life just never seems to settle down does it? Thank God your children are fine!

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2008

We're having all the heavy rains here, too. Our basement is flooded, but we have things up off the ground. We have been through this before and it's NOT fun. Sorry to hear about your mess.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 9, 2008

I'm so sorry to hear this happened. You are blessed to have such wonderful people living in your area though. We had a small tornado hit part of the city, and people just came from everywhere to help any way they could. I'd have been there too but for work and a bad knee.

15. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Jun 9, 2008

At least you have insurance that would cover that. I don't think we've added flood insurance to our policy.

How great that you already have offers to help!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 10, 2008

I heard on the news that this is the worst flooding season the country has seen in the last 15 years. Remember the floods of '93?

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2008

93' was bad, but wow 87' was even worse in this area, or maybe it was that it took almost two hours to get to school.......

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2008

I just went to town today & the little river down the road is just way over the banks into the yards next to it. Luckily there use to be a house in one & now is gone...I say luckily because that yard is just FLOODED!!!!

19. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jun 11, 2008

I'm so sorry :( I know how that feels, trust me. It's not a happy feeling.