Oh, stamina!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Sep 11, 2014.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 11, 2014

Is anyone working on read to self stamina? If so, what grade do you teach, what day are you on, and how high did your kids get for stamina?

We're on day 4, and we had to start over twice. They got to 3 minutes, then 2, and they're currently working on trying it again. They got to 7.5 minutes yesterday. This is the slowest stamina growth I have ever experienced with 2nd graders!

3. jde3399

jde3399 Rookie

Sep 11, 2014

Last year was that first year we started Daily 5 throughout all grade levels. It took a while for my second graders last year to develop reading stamina (like through the end of Sept. early Oct.) This year, since they were used to doing it from the year before, they reached 20 mins today, and we are on day 8. I'm super excited! We started working on writing yesterday and today we got up to 8 minutes. Having that good foundation from last year has really helped this years group.

4. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2014

I'm struggling a lot with stamina in the Daily 5. This is my first year doing it. My kids are VERY talkative. Anytime I bring someone back to my table to work, they start talking.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 11, 2014

We're on day 7 and up to 7-10 minutes in grade 2. I moved up with some of my students from grade 1 so they already know my expectations.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 11, 2014

Take the time to re-train. Don't take anyone to the table for a while, but make sure you sit at the table and then signal the end of read to self the second someone goes off task. It will be sooo worth it in a few weeks when you can work at the table with someone. Take it super slow in the beginning.

7. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Sep 11, 2014

My kids are on about day 7 and are doing around 10 minutes.

Question about stamina...

If nearly all are doing well, but an ADHD kid needs a couple minor reminders to read, should I reset the clock? I honestly don't know whether it's within their ability to focus for that long. I have two kids like this, both ADHD. The other kids are doing great. They get really mad at the couple who mess it up.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 11, 2014

I wouldn't stop the clock for those 2. Your kids will never build stamina if they don't get to try and it sounds like your 2 kids with ADHD are doing the best they can.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2014

About 6 or 7 days in and up to about 17 minutes and 22 seconds built up. I have a boy with ADHD who i sometimes have to turn a blind eye.I have another who often refuses to even read but I allow the others to be successful and deal with him separately.So sometimes you really have to turn a blind eye.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 12, 2014

For the first week or so I will stop it when the "barometer kids" are off-task. Sometimes they start to "get it," but they often don't. Then I start to make modifications for them, such as seating them close to me, or having them practice for a few minutes at recess.

11. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 12, 2014

We are up to a solid 20 minutes. I teach 6th and 7th grade special education. We review the I chart every day! I was able to pull one small group today and yesterday. Eventually, I will do more....

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 12, 2014

They're working on it right now, and we've stopped twice.

First time: 3 minutes
    Second time: 1 minute

I'm hoping we can tie our 10 minutes from yesterday. It seems to be just one student who wasn't here on Monday and Tuesday that is breaking the stamina. I may just watch him closely this round, and keep him in for recess on Monday to review the I-chart one-on-one, and then practice. I don't know if he is aware of what he is doing. :( I thought stopping it and saying things like, "We had to stop our stamina because someone was playing with pencils" would be pretty obvious, because he was the only one playing with pencils. I guess not. :/

13. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Sep 12, 2014

Do you guys stop when you see a student staring into space instead of reading? I have one who's not causing any problems, but whenever I look at him he is not looking at his books.

Otherwise, we are up to 12 minutes after two weeks.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2014

Sorry I don't use this- just wondering- do you stop when they start talking or do other obvious "off task" things or even if they're doing something "quiet" but off task- ie staring around the room. (In that case not sure we'd get past 2 minutes in 4th grade, some of my kids just love to look around the room.)

15. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2014

5 days in and 9 min. today!
    Some of them did stop reading when another teacher walked in the other day (they all wanted to say hello) but I quickly redirected them and did not count it against them. We had a talk about what do when another person comes in!
    Slow and steady......

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

I do, because they're not reading the whole time with their eyes on a book. In fact, when I have students model the wrong way to do RTS they usually model the more subtle incorrect behaviors, such as looking around the room, or turning the pages of a book too quickly (versus silly things like putting books in your head, reading upside-down, etc.). We talk about how looking around the room is not going to help you become a better reader, which is why we do RTS.

I usually give kids about 20-30 seconds to get their eyes back on a book, and if they don't, I stop the class.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

Oh, I would have stopped them, but I'm mean. :p

The SPED teacher came in on Thursday to pick a student up, and a few kids were watching, so I stopped them. I actually have planned interruptions, too. I'll ask my neighbor teacher to come in and ask me for something by yelling across the room. I've even asked the principal to come in and say things like, "How was your weekend, boys and girls?!" Last year's class did a great job of ignoring her, and it was just so funny. I told them that if One Direction or Aaron Rodgers walked into the room and asked them to go outside for an extra recess their job was to keep reading. They think it's fun, and love trying to pass my "tests." ;)

18. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2014

Ha! I will stop them in the future, but since this was the first time we had a visitor and we never discussed what to do, I let it slide.....they caught me in a good mood!