Oh-So-Frustrated!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 2, 2011

Last week, two of my best and brightest students moved away! :(

Side Note: I teach in a very high poverty (Section 8) area; thus, kids come and go much too frequently.

Anyway, this morning the secretary brought me TWO new students to fill the vacant spots. Guess what? These two students are so incredibly low. In fact, I'd easily say that they're devestatingly low in all areas. My kids are so much more advanced than these two new students. Even my three lowest students are higher than them!

What do I do? The CST (California Standards Test) is less than two months away. I don't even know where to begin with these new children. :eek:

Sorry, I just had to vent. I actually feel better now.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2011

Wow, you do have some work ahead of you!! I know that if students move in within a certain window of testing, their scores will not count for/against the school. Is that true for your school as well?

4. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Mar 2, 2011

Hey YTG,

I know you miss your students (because I know what a passionate teacher you are).

But...if it helps at all.....the CST is based on the CBEDS day which is in October. What that means is that any students who were in your classroom that day are on your "roster" for CST. So your kiddos who just moved will have their scores accredited back to you and your school. And your new kiddos' scores will not count against you or be included in your school's results.

This is how it is done in California, anyway. Not sure how it is done elsewhere. This prevents you from having to account for scores of kids that you didn't teach for the full year.

Hope this makes sense..........clear as mud, right?

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 2, 2011

Tiffany, I had NO CLUE that this was true!!! Thank you so very much for telling me this!!! The two students who moved are going to ROCK on the CST, so I'm excited to see how well they perform!

I sent cards to my two students who moved away. My students and I were somber the day we found out they moved. Its amazing how attached we get to these kids. We become like a little family!

Anyway, thanks again for the good news! :thumb:

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 2, 2011

I am so sorry about your two kids who moved. I had a student move away a few months ago, and I miss her terribly.

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2011

Is that really true? Is it new? I know, each year, when I had a highly transient class we would have the information for the whole class as connected to our school the next year. Even if a kid arrived the week of the test. Is it only counted that way in the state statistics?

8. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Mar 2, 2011

In my state, any student who moves in after "count week" which is in October does not count toward our scores. In fact, their scores don't count toward any school. I have a student, however, that just moved from another school within our district. Her score doesn't count toward my scores, but it does count toward our district scores.

I work in what sounds like a similar situation. We have many transient students. Do what you can in the time you have with these students, but breathe easy knowing they don't count towards your scores!

9. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 3, 2011

Yes, this is true. Here's the info from the CDE:

Non-mobile students are students who have been continuously enrolled in the school from the CBEDS date to the testing date. Only the results of non-mobile students are considered "valid scores" and are included in the API calculation and AYP percent proficient.

If the student was continuously enrolled in the school district but not the school since the October CBEDS data collection day, the student test results are counted in the AYP percent proficient calculation (and in the calculation of the API) for the school district report but not for the school report. For the AYP participation rate calculation, however, the student test results are counted in both the school district and the school reports.

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/ac/ap/techqa06f.asp

10. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 3, 2011

Hmm, I realized the above information doesn't say anything about which students' scores show up on a teacher's roster. But if transient students' scores don't count for API, you should be able to convince your administrator that they shouldn't count against you in any sort of teacher evaluation that is based on test scores.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 3, 2011

All I can say is good luck!

I've been working w/ kids for about 10 years. Most of the time, it seems that the good, well behaved kids are the ones who move, while the ones we WISH would move stay for years at the same school.

12. BookFanatic

BookFanatic New Member

Mar 6, 2011

Have you read the book: Teach Like Your Hairs on Fire? You will find it inspiring and encouraging.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2011

Oh my. Do you think this observation is based on your personal feelings about kids? Do you really wish kids would move? What kinds of things have you tried to connect with such kids? Sometimes it is the very kids who 'try' us the most who need us the most.:love:

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 7, 2011

czacza, you've gotta admit, most teachers have that one or two (or more) stinkers in their class whom they wouldn't mind if they moved away...not that the teacher would ever act in a way that coommunicates any joy in the kid leaving. I know I've never acted in that way. I know I have a job to do. I'm the one who chose this profession to get into & I'll make the best of it.

I agree w/ your last sentence as well. At one of the schools I work at, there's a poster in the teachers' lounge that says to teachers something to the effect of, "Your worst day may be one of the best days in your students' life" since we have no idea many times what kind of homelife our students really have & the kid could see school as a safe haven in a way.

15. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 7, 2011

I had a kid move in from out of state the day before the writing assessment. He just didn't understand why he had to take this test. I felt so sorry for him. I finally had to have him put in a small testing situation because he was moaning so loudly.

Today one kid didn't come to school and was withdrawn and I got a new one a half hour later. I'm still one below the other grade level classes so I'll get the next new one.

My new ones are low. But I think they will catch up soon.