Oh, no you didn't!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Aliceacc, Sep 19, 2012.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2012

When I was a high school sophomore, I wrote notes to get out of taking tests one semester, and it was an awful semester. I was constantly behind and making up the work was a huge challenge. I really hope your student makes these up quickly. It's hard to have things pile up, especially in a subject like math.

I'm not sure what I would do if a student took a test with them. I don't know if I would allow for them to take a make-up because they would have an advantage by already seeing the test questions. The makeup would have different numbers, but the questions would be the same. (I understand that this isn't much of an issue for you because you tell your students exactly what will be on the test, but I don't do that.)

Also, I require students to make up tests and quizzes within a week if they are sick or it gets entered in as a zero. I haven't had to give anyone a zero yet, but I have had to constantly remind students to come to take makeups. Of course, if a student has an issue or a lot of other work to make up, I have no problem with them making it up later if they just let me know. In college, if you miss an exam (which shouldn't happen unless you are extremely sick), most professors had you make it up right a way.

2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Sep 22, 2012

I've only had two quizzes so far, and I have one girl who has been absent both times. This week we will have the first big test. I find it very inconvenient for her learning as she is always focusing on the old material for the stuff she missed, and so, she isn't able to think forward to the any of the new material until after the assessment...it's really a lose-lose situation.

3. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 22, 2012

I recently finished my master's degree, it was a co-hort program. 1 of the people did not finish on time, in part because she didn't read the syllabus and didn't understand deadlines & due dates. She would say "I didn't know it was due today." or "what are you talking about?" Read the syllabus!

4. Poodle15

Poodle15 Companion

Sep 22, 2012

Master's degree. Master's degree. It's amazing how far people can get without caring enough to work at being organized if they are naturally unorganized (like myself).

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2012

The thing is, I can't prove that the didn't hand it in... how do you prove that something didn't happen? Or that, if we agree he didn't hand it in, that it was anything other than an honest mistake. So I've got to treat it as an honest mistake.

Anytime a kid is absent for a test, that kid has the advantage of seeing the test the other kids took. I usually give tests back the next day, before the absentee has had a chance to make it up, so he or she is in class as I go over it.

And the makeup is a different test. I did more than just change numbers, it's a different test, following the same format.

In the final analysis, if you know the material when you take the test, then that's what I was going for. Of course, if being absent on the day of a test starts to become a pattern, it's easy to spot and talk to guidance about.

Also, I realize that we're preparing kids for college, and for life after college. But the reality is that I'm teaching 15 year olds, not college kids. Sure, I've got to prepare them for what's coming. But at the same time, I've got to teach them where they are, not where they'll be in 3 years.

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2012

Yup, it's definitely a tough situation because there is no proof. I would probably be ok with letting a student take a makeup for a quiz, but I'm not sure what I would do about tests. (I tell my students exactly what will be on quizzes, but not tests.) EDIT: I just read that your makeups are different tests--that makes more sense. I just mainly change numbers on mine or do a variation of a problem if there is one.

I also believe that most 15 year olds should have no problem making up a test within a week, unless something else is going on in their life. This isn't college, but I'm not fond of giving someone a test that should have been done 6 weeks ago. But then again, my school does things a little differently. If a student is absent for a test and we are going over it, they sit outside until we're done. We are also encouraged not to return tests for students to keep until everyone has taken it.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 23, 2012

We had to take part in a reading clinic that was being held at my school. This was the 1st of 2 practicums, the other was an on the job practicum the following fall. I was sooo worried about her working with one of 'my' kids. Well, she didn't complete the class before, so she didn't get to do the practicum with the rest of us.

I don't know what happened to her, if she finished the program or not. BTW, she wasn't teaching at the time either!