Oh No! Wish Me Luck!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bumble, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

Tomorrow is suppose to be the start to our spring break, but we must make up 2 snow days tomorrow and Tuesday. We have 15 teachers and both principals out on vacation. It is going to be crazy! We will only have a few teachers and the VP to manage a k-8 school! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get through tomorrow? It will be crazy! I'm preparing for intense riots.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

How does that happen??

If school is in session and you have to be there, why on earth are 15 other teachers and TWO PRINCIPALS not also working???

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

The district and union gave us the option of showing receipts of vacation plans to take the day off without penalty. The district announced the make up days only less than a month ago!

5. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

You would think that the PRINCIPALS would HAVE to be there.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

Ummmm.... YEAH!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 28, 2010

I have a feeling that if 15 teachers had vacations plans then a lot of students will also have vacation plans.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2010

Won't there be subs for the absent teachers who would have left lesson plans? I vote for not worrying about it - you will do great with your class - support subs as they need it and there will be less kids. I think it will be okay - go in with a positive attitude.

9. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

I hope so, but where I teach not many of the children ever leave the area.

10. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

We don't get subs and when we do they usually leave early. I teach at a tough urban school.

11. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 28, 2010

This is terrible! That's a very tough position for you guys. Did you guys know that there were going to be only a few of you left? The Union should not allow this.

Well, if you have to endure this just promise a pizza party for good behavior and tell them that the principals will provide the pizzas. I can't believe principals will also allow this. They owe you big time.

12. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

We knew it was going to be bad and no one put together a plan. The principals should had left a plan for us. I put a lot of art type of activities on my lesson plans. Yes, they actually required us to turn in lesson plans!!!

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 28, 2010

I would try to find some fun educational games for the day if you can. http://mathwire.com/games/games.html has some that are print and use and http://storylineonline.net/ has books being read by actors if you have a way to show the kids your computer screen. Also, if you have computer access, abcya.com has grae/age appropriate games k-5th. Best of luck!

14. janlee

janlee Devotee

Mar 28, 2010

We are told when we receive our yearly calendar that if we go over our snow days certain days will be used as make-up days (usually part of our spring break) Most teachers don't make plans because of this. If you do have vacation plans and snow days are being put into play you can go on vacation but you'll take the days without pay because you were told upfront what can happen.

15. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 28, 2010

That is what they should have required these teachers to do, but it shouldn't be an option for administrators.

16. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Mar 28, 2010

We aren't allowed to take vacation/personal days the day before or after a school holiday to help prevent this issue. We lost all of our spring break this year because of snow and I have a feeling some of the classrooms will be a little empty.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 29, 2010

I think I am glad we tack the days onto the end of the year instead of spring vacation.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2010

We don't make up snow days :)

We have so many extra days on our calendar that we could easily account for the 180 days if we had to. But I think that, as a private school, we have a little more leeway.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2010

Well, let's hope for the best, and let us know how it went. That does sound like an awful lot of people gone, but things could go more smoothly than expected!

20. Lakenjade

Lakenjade Rookie

Mar 29, 2010

If I was there, I would sub for you! I hope it goes well today. I am a little shocked that they allowed the teachers to take off when the students have to be there.

21. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Mar 29, 2010

Wow, don't the principals see any irony in asking for lesson plans when they are essentially abandoning the school?

I used to teach in an urban district that couldn't get subs, either. One year I had a split class and was taking half of another grade level's kids for a teacher who was absent for a day. Later on in the day, a teacher from yet another grade level had to go home (sick or injured, I can't remember), so I had 4 different grade levels of students in my room for the afternoon. Great fun, let me tell you.

22. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Mar 29, 2010

I've experienced the same thing. Subs walking out in the middle of the day, without even telling anyone they were leaving a class unsupervised.

My principal has also gone on vacation this week. We were told we would be allowed to show movies if we wanted, I guess to assuage the principal's guilt over not being there. I only had a few students absent today.

So how did your day go?

23. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 29, 2010

So I was lucky that all of my students showed up. I didn't get any additional students. We were a little too talkative, but that is expected right before break! Hopefully tomorrow runs as smooth as today!

24. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Mar 29, 2010

Bumble..I'm glad your day went ok.

25. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 29, 2010

I had to call the SAME parents...one parent heard my voice 2 times!