Oh my...this video should get some people talking!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 29, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 29, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OK7jHH6MPo

I saw this on my FB page this morning from a friend who posted it from somewhere else so it's pretty new.

My question about this video is simply, why?! Everyone's happy but he's not a baby and looks very capable of feeding himself! Are they not able to see him for his current age and capabilities?!

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 29, 2011

His game is more important...duh ;)

That is pretty ridiculous...I understand them wanting him to eat...but he can put away game and do it himself.

4. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Mar 29, 2011

Oh my...

No game systems allowed at the table for my future kids.

5. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 29, 2011

Spoiled maybe?? This is ridiculous. Btw, if that were ME and I had the choice of the In and Out burger or playing a video game, I'm going for the burger! Love In and Out!!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2011

That is nuts!!

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 29, 2011

yeah totally! It's one thing if he needed help but he doesn't need help being fed and given a drink!!

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 29, 2011

I can totally believe this video. I worked with a little guy whose feet never touched the snow until he went to daycare at 5 years old. He also never ate solid food until he started daycare. His mother blended everything. Watching him eat was like watching paint dry -- he would eat one grain of rice at a time:dizzy:. I have a 9 year old in my class and I'm sure he is fed at home....

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2011

Really? Really?

10. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2011

Ugh, unfortunately I believe it.

It's happened with my kids when they visit inlaws for extended periods of time, though not quite this old. My oldest went when he was about three -- before he left he was starting on cutting his own food, and when he came back it took a while to get him back to using utensils at all.

Basically, the fault of a very overindulgent aunt. My sister-in-law's a wonderful person in so many ways, but this makes me want to bang my head against something.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 29, 2011

Yup. They both first generation Canadians of chinese descent. Their lives pretty well revolved around the happiness of their child -- it is great to see but I do have to remind them that their child is very independent at school when they are not around.

I've also worked in a mandarin program at a school and I also noticed that many of the students who were first generationers (is this a word, lol) were behind in self-help skills. I absolutely loved the program but I was lost after the first 5 months of school after the students weren't allowed to speak english in the afternoons:lol:.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 29, 2011

Assuming there's not some back story we don't know... let's just say it wouldn't be my kids.

No video games at the table.Non-negotiable rule in our house.

But not everywhere. We recently had dinner with friends, and their 3 kids (the youngest is 12) all had video games at the table.

13. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2011

From a non-parent but possible restaurant patron's perspective, at least he is quiet and not running around like a terror.

From every other possible perspective - wow.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 29, 2011

I went camping with a group. One of them had a 4 year old boy that she fed just like the video. My question is "WHY".

15. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 29, 2011

And we wonder why kids today have an overwhelming sense of entitlement now. :rolleyes:

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 29, 2011

I had a third grader who was fed at breakfast and lunch at school everyday until the kid got tired of it (and of the comments and questions from his classmates) and told mom to quit.

17. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Mar 30, 2011

There could be more to this video and one probably shouldn't judge. Towards the end of the video, the kid was moving around a lot and seemed uneasy. As a mother of an Aspie, I sometimes hurry up and feed my kid myself if we are in a hurry. I still cut his food for him because he physically can't. Just because a kid may look "normal" on the outside...doesn't mean he doesn't have fine motor, speech, sensory, etc issues. It did seem a bit noisy and when he wasn't focused on the game, he seemed stressed out. Of course, he could just be VERY dependent on the game. Personally, I do not allow my son to play games while he is eating. I usually have to turn everything off to make him focus on the task at hand.

18. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2011

Overindulgent!

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2011

Excellent point.