OH MY GOODNESS WHAT DO I BUY????

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by miss_ali1984, Jul 29, 2010.

1. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 29, 2010

So the local teacher store chain had a sale today, and it was hard to even get through the door. I bought a lot of things for my classroom that I saw my mentor use last year, plus a few things that I just knew I would want to have. I've got to tell you that it's really tough. I have a lot of the wall hangings and stuff I need, but I'm unsure of what else I need to buy. Of course I will know more when I talk to my team. I was curious, what did all of you find that you needed to buy to get through your first few months teaching first grade? Thanks for your help!!
    -Ali

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 29, 2010

flash cards
    sentence/word strips
    puzzle people (first day activity)
    fadeless paper for your bulletin board(s)
    bulletin board border
    alphabet stamps
    audio books
    just a few things off the top of my head...

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

borders (although I actually was given some by other teachers my first year)
    transportation tags
    name plates
    dry-erase boards
    alphabet stamps
    anchor texts and library books
    I think clipboards are a must, however a parent donated all of mine
    I also had to buy a lot of plastic organizational items

Do you know what your school provides. Mine provides sentence strips, sticky notes, high lighters, pens, metal rings, copy paper and card stock, butcher paper, chart paper, construction paper, etc.

5. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 30, 2010

My school provides the colored bulletin board paper, but not the fadeless kind. They also have all the paper products. The library usually rents out big books and audio books, so I'm holding off on those for now. I'm not really sure what else. I haven't met my team yet. After I've met them I will know more. Thanks for all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

Do you know what's left in the room?

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

I wouldn't go out and buy the fadeless kind... just my opinion. Not if you can use stuff at school for free.
    Yes, I use my library's audio books as well.

You might want to grab some packing tape.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

I would buy the fadeless bulletin board paper. I do not change the paper every year so fadeless is a must for me.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

I don't know... I don't have a bulletin board. How do grades K-2 have room for bulletin boards? I do have one area where I staple kids work. Other than that my walls are for class made charts.
    I am also thinking that since she is a new teacher, she will make changes as to how her room is arranged after this year.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 30, 2010

I would definitely say to wait to buy things (except essentials such as supplies) as long as you can. Plan out your daily activities and curriculum before you buy things. I know that my first year I panicked and bought a lot of unnecessary items for my room. A lot of these were very expensive, and have been sitting in closets and drawers for years. Don't buy something unless you absolutely know that you are going to use it.

As for the bulletin board issue... I would use the free stuff or buy fabric/felt. At my school we are required to take down all of our BB every year, so fadeless doesn't matter. I bought some really bright, colorful felt that I cut to each board. Now, each year that will allow for a quicker set up.

11. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 30, 2010

Ooh, I didn't even think about using fabric for bulletin boards! Good one! We don't even get to go into the rooms until the 13th because extended care is being held in our school during the Summer. I dunno! We'll have to see. I don't think I'll buy anything else.
    -Ali

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2010

Oh - book baskets/boxes/buckets.

But I agree - I would wait to buy anything - a lot of stuff may be given to you or unnecessary.

13. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 30, 2010

I have a lot of BB, so it saves me time! Here's my site... under photos you can find some pics of the colorful felt I got from JoAnn's. It's great!

http://www.wix.com/missfunk/missfunk

14. goingtogigi

goingtogigi Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

I use fabric too. It works great. It doesn't fade and it is super cute.

15. miss_ali1984

miss_ali1984 Companion

Jul 31, 2010

Wow, Miss Funk, I am super impressed by your classroom. I LOVE the shelves. That's the kind of thing that I am concerned about buying for my classroom. Shelves and the chart paper easels and stuff like that. I hope that there are some left behind. :-/

16. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

Our school provides our easels and the chart paper. Maybe yours will too?

17. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 31, 2010

hmmmmm... vistaprint???? (evil grin)

18. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Aug 2, 2010

when I taught 1st I had on my walls:
    alphabets
    number line
    colors
    shapes
    calendar
    days/months of the year
    job chart
    I also had some books from the libray, sentence strips,markers, colored pencils crayons etc.

19. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2010

Many times when everyone is setting up their rooms, they get rid of stuff. I accumulated a lot of things (table name plates, alphabet strips, decor) when teachers were reentering their room and getting rid of old stuff.

20. JennaTeaches

JennaTeaches Rookie

Aug 12, 2010

We have to take everything off the wall at the end of the year. I believe at the beginning of each year, each teacher gets 1 roll of bulletin board paper (I didn't start at the beginning last year). I'm hoping that it's the same this year.

21. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 13, 2010

If your school doesn't provide a pocket chart, definitely get one; they are very useful for many activities. They come in many sizes from small center-sized ones to large whole-class ones. It may be worth it to invest in a nice desk chair, too. I am hardly ever at my desk when the kids are there, but it's nice during planning time and before/after school. Also, you can never have enough Magnet Men! While the sales are still going on, you may want to pick up some extra crayons, glue sticks, pencils, etc. Students bring them at the beginning of the year, then for whatever reason need them again around December. Tongue depressers/craft sticks are good for making equity sticks.

I do agree that you should not buy a lot of curriculum related items until you know what your school requires and what they provide for you. Just because something is "on sale" doesn't mean it's a good deal if you never use it. Good luck on your first year! You'll be great!