Oh my goodness!! Snow tonight, possibly no school tomorrow?!?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 19, 2009

I'm getting too excited. The forecast says 2-5'' of snow tomorrow (omg) it never snows where I live, and I've heard the state practically shuts down when it does. Since tomorrow is the inauguration, I'm so thrilled at the prospect of being able to watch it on TV at home (omg!)

Can you tell I'm excited? My P is a control freak and she wouldn't approve a switch of the lunch schedules for 4th and 5th grade to watch the inauguration. It's business as usual for us :( I think it's a SHAME!! Many of my students were saddened when I told them we would not watch it.

*+* Doing a snow dance!!! *+*

3. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 19, 2009

Awww, I'm so happy for you. I can't believe you P wouldn't allow a switch. Geez.

Send a little down this way. I need another day to catch up.

4. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 19, 2009

Keep us posted on the snow! I know! My mom took tomorrow off so she could watch it. I'm so jealous!

5. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 19, 2009

Wow! I just looked at the forecast. As much as I hate snow, another day off would be sweet because I have been sick since last Tuesday and I just don't feel like going back yet!

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 19, 2009

Personally, I think all the inauguration days should be holidays. I mean, it's only every 4 years, and we listen about these people on the news everyday for 2 years leading up to the election. It just seems kinda silly to me that the actual swearing in isn't seen by most.

It hurts that I might not get to see the man I helped get elected be sworn in.

Ok, off the soapbox, back to snow dancing :)

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 19, 2009

I'm frustrated because it's a 1/2 day for kids with building inservice in the afternoon... but for preschool staff, we have meetings all day. I'll have to catch it online in reruns, I'm betting, because I'm sure I won't get to see ANY of it.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2009

I hope you get the snow day. I actually have to start tutoring all school day tomorrow so I won't be able to see it either. I'm sure they'll be covering it tons on the news.

9. smannes

smannes Companion

Jan 19, 2009

I'm also in NC. I hope we DO have school tomorrow. We're scheduled to have Thursday & Friday off (as well as today) for teacher workdays. I planned on going in Thursday and was taking Friday off. If we have no school tomorrow, they'll make Friday a regular day and I really want Friday off. So, I'll do the little snow dance. Enough to where they *might* delay the day but NOT cancel it. BTW, where in NC are you? I live in Greensboro and work in Burlington.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 19, 2009

I teach in Johnston county. We also have the same workdays as you Thurs and Fri, but I still want a tomorrow off :)

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2009

I don't want a snow day, either. Although, if it is going to happen, I guess I want it to happen this week. I hate giving up the precious workday in February and doing an 10 week stretch of being in school EVERY SINGLE DAY with the kids, too. :yawn:

I liked snow days a whole lot better when I was in the north and we had them built in. I have to go in snow day or not (well, or take a sick day), so I'd rather stick to the schedule.

I will pray for a 2 hour delay though. Those are the BEST!!! :)

12. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 20, 2009

We got our snow day! :woot:

Only problem...I broke my digital camera...kinda, sort of :(

I wanted pics of my doggie's first time in snow:wub: and my dumb butt dropped the brand new camera and the battery door thing is broken, but it will still shut. I think I'll have to put a good piece of tape on it if I ever take it anywhere! I'm so mad at myself! I just got the camera for Christmas! I think my mom is kinda upset with me too:unsure: because my 'rents bought me the camera. Now why did I have to call her and tell her what happend?? :dunno::banghead:

13. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jan 20, 2009

Charlotte area has a snow day! I'm glad cause i really wanted to watch the inauguration today.

14. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 20, 2009

We are having more cold temperatures here. I saw just a few school delays this morning. (Nothing for me.)

I did hook up (on the computer) to the local NBC station to watch live coverage of the inauguration.
    (Those poor people look like they are FREEZING to death!!)

15. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Jan 20, 2009

I grew up in coastal NC and snow is always a big deal (well it was the two times it snowed when I was growing up). My grandparents are down in the New Bern area and are terrified at the prospect of the white stuff.
    I bet the grocery shelves are empty of bread, milk, and eggs:). I guess the thought of snow makes everyone want to make french toast.
    Enjoy your snow day. I'm just a little jealous.

16. Kase

Kase Companion

Jan 20, 2009

I am definitely jealous since the fact i live in San Diego! :( I'm from Kansas so I miss my snow days. I felt like a little kid watching the tv waiting for our district to show up.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 20, 2009

I got my wish!! I'm happily watching the coverage on TV as I catch up on filing (I took piles home!)

Mrs. Obama just handed Mrs. Bush a gift as they entered the White House for coffee. Awww!!!!

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 20, 2009

I just saw Michelle Obama hand Laura Bush the box. How sweet! Michelle Obama is such a classy lady!!

Lucky you on the day off today! ENJOY!!

19. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 20, 2009

Well, we have a "snow day" today. The only problem? It didn't actually snow!!!!!!!!!

Yep, that's right -- no snow, no ice, yes, the weather is cold, but it was colder last week -- and they cancelled school for today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!

20. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 20, 2009

It didn't snow here either...well, maybe a light dusting...and they cancelled last night!! So silly :)

edit: I just googled the weather near my school, which is 40 mins away. Our forecast here was for 1-3 inches, but near school it was 4-7. I guess it must be worse there.

21. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 20, 2009

RainStorm - Are you close enough to Washington, D.C. that they didn't want to have the traffic headache there?

22. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 20, 2009

No. I'm in the southeast of Virginia (Hampton Roads/Norfolk/Virginia Beach.) We are no where near DC.

Our district is usually one to wait until the last minute to cancel, but they blew it this time. I'm really surprised.

I do understand it -- I know the decisions have to be made ahead of time. We are a large district, with a bus driver shortage (we stagger our school openings, so our elementary schools, for example, have 3 different start times -- one as early as 7am, and one as late as 9am -- so the same buses are used over and over and over.) That means that if students have to be sent home early, it still takes 3 hours to run all the staggers!!!!!!!!!!! And once lunch is started, it has to be served -- so emergency early dismissals are a nightmare! You can't start sending home elementary schools, until all of the high schools are sent home (same buses, and the bigger kids need to be at home to watch the younger ones.) Then the middle schools have to go. Then 3 staggers of elementary schools. Even when they "compress it" it can't be done in less than 3-4 hours.

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 20, 2009

RS - I guess you can blame your cancellation today on the weather man.
    Or, THANK him for it! :lol:

24. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jan 20, 2009

We also have a snow day. We got off on Friday for below zero temperatures and we got off today because of snow. I'm loving my 5-day weekend! Whoo hoo!

25. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2009

Grrr... Stupid snow days!
    I got a call at 4:30 AM calling for a 2 hour delay. I was happy and went back to bed. I rolled around and finally fell back asleep at 5:15. At 5:30 the phone rang AGAIN cancelling school for students. So, I rolled in bed for a bit, got up and went in. I did not want to waste a sick day! There were only about 8 of us there total- of 34 teachers.
    I could have done without so many phone calls :mad:

26. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 20, 2009

Well, school is cancelled TOMORROW, too. If you ask me that's a bit much. Oh well, no use complaining

27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2009

I got a call from my son (in Jacksonville NC) telling me my 4 year old granddaughter was making snow angels

28. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 20, 2009

Well, the snow is melting quickly here! I don't know if they'll call off tomorrow for safety or not. I heard it might freeze tonight causing some issues so we'll see. As much as I'm going to hate making up the days, I kind of hope we get a 2 hour delay or another day off tomorrow. I've been sick so it's been nice to be able to stay home without wasting sick days!

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 20, 2009

I'm glad you got your wish, Pisces!!

30. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jan 20, 2009

We had no school today, and there wasn't a single flake of snow all day!!!!!!!!!! What a waste! I had a zillion inauguration day activities planned for today -- already copied and laid-out. I know we can do them tomorrow, but it just isn't the same...

31. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 20, 2009

Rainstorm, that's too bad it didn't snow. It started off here like that this morning but then right before lunch we got 5 inches or so all at once. That's a lot for where I live.

32. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 20, 2009

It was so nice! I pretty much watched the coverage all day long. I was too excited to miss any of it.

33. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2009

Roads are dry here. However, some counties are announcing delays for tomorrow already. And Stanly county already cancelled. Albemarle got a lot more snow than we did, even though my county (teach, not live) touches Stanley, the snow did not stick.
    I do NOT want another snow day, because they will take away our February workday and we will have to go all the way until March 30th. That will make me :mad:

34. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jan 20, 2009

Union co. is a 2 hour delay! Whoo hoo!

35. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2009

Lucky! (I am a fan of delays, NOT snow days!)
    I guess the further south and/or east you are the worse it was. Up in Iredell county it was fine. Rowan county was a bit worse, but not awful. So, I doubt I will get a delay.