Oh My: Dilema!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Aug 25, 2012.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 25, 2012

Many of you had follow my posts. . .This is a long post

I do have a job and don't get me wrong I am entirely greatfull for the job I have.

I am a single parent of a child with severe autism and I commute approximately 150 miles a day. I chose this because I needed to clear my credential and it has been a life changing experience. At the time it was the best decision for my child. Moving is not option.

I had a really challenging position that I struggled with for 2 years I have had the most challenges and success in my life. It has sure been stressfull with gas, childcare, and so on. Last year I ended up missing days due to stress and ended up in the emergency room three times. It was not a good situation.

I did get transferred to a new class and I am happier. I had over 15 interviews this summer. I know I will experience physical exhaustion at this points year but in terms of teaching stress in the position it should be less stressful.

We were back wed and thursday. One of my co-teachers in my new classroom with many years experience has encourage me to keep looking. He felt I had valid reasons to break my contract. I stopped looking and am already to do the best I can and am well aware of what am getting myself into.

I received two phone calls today for last minute interviews 30 miles one way. I was honest to both districts and asked if they would like me still come in. They were both understanding. I stopped applying mid-july.

The first interview I did not get. Walking out of the first one I received a call for a interview somewhere else being close by I went.

They are well aware I am in a contract and the know the length of my commute --not all the other stuff. The special education director will be checking references monday and I fully expect a job offer. They want me to ascertain how long it will take to exit my contract.

I hate to break a contract and it scares me. I do know it is in the best interest of my son that I am closer to home. During the school year with my long commute the time to work on important skills and bond is very limited. I cherish every summer. He is only getting older.

The benefits is that the millage is way closer. I will get a little more traffic. I will get to start a brand new program adult transition. I will be closer to home. My son---I will see more of every day and maybe that will him with deficits because of autism.

The risks: job uncertainity
    Is there really job security these days
    new school/new program
    I hate change even when things are not the best. . . .

Only I can decide my intuition tells me to let things play out. I know all to well offers can fall threw. At this point I need to let go and trust.

Its very uncertain but with time it will all come together. what is meant to be will happen --- part of me wants to make it go away but risks and change is scary but a neccessary part of life,

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 25, 2012

Based on what you wrote it seems that you are ready for a change, and it definitely makes sense. You have to take care of yourself and your family first, no one should expect you to sacrifice for a job, even if it's teaching.
    I think if you get the job offer, you should be able to get out of your contract, hopefully they'd be more understanding.

You kinda sound like me: in decisions like this, you have to trust your intuition, and trust that things will happen for a reason and will work out. I would probably take a definite job offer as a sign to go for it.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 25, 2012

Good luck.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2012

How old is your son? If he is of school age, does he come with you to your current school?

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 25, 2012

As someone who wouldn't do a 150 mile commute for DOUBLE what I make now, I definitely think it is a strong consideration. Question: Are they calling your current district as a reference?

7. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 25, 2012

I work high school and he is 10 years old. He goes to school near home and childcare after school. I leave at 5:30am and pick him up at 5:00pm during the school year.

8. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 25, 2012

They are going to call Monday. I called and spoke to my special education director earlier today.

9. TXspedteach

TXspedteach Rookie

Aug 25, 2012

Good luck to you! Do what is best for you and your son! I also have a 10 year-old son with moderate to sever autism. My husband has had to go part-time at his job to care for him as daycare options are limited for after school. This is my first year teaching Kindergarten, and the transition has been difficult! Please feel free to message me if you need any support or to vent!:)

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 25, 2012

It is a hard decision, but ultimately you must do what is right for your child. Take the job if they offer it! Do let your current school know that you may be leaving. They will understand your concerns and let you out of your contract.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

You have to do what is best for you and your son. I think this new job would help out a lot! I don't see how you've commuted every day for 2 years 150 miles!

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

Good luck!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 26, 2012

Keep us in the loop. We're here for you!

14. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 26, 2012

Give your circumstances, I would def. take the other job if offered. I think your district would understand. Your son's needs take precedence and you have been doing an unbelievable commute that would tax anyone's resources, let alone someone with a special needs child. Good luck and I hope it works out!

15. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 26, 2012

I drove by the new school and the only BIG issue is that it is in the ghetto. Totally heartbreaking for me. I feel like potential safety issues might negate the long drive. I just want to cry.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2012

My school is in the rough part of an already-rough city. Inside the school, however, I have always felt safe. Don't dismiss this opportunity until you do more research and get a real feel for the school.

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 26, 2012

:yeahthat:

As long as you don't leave your expensive stuff on your dashboard, you're fine. Heck, that's true even in the safest suburb. In the meantime, there are nearby kids who could use a little warmth and education.

18. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 27, 2012

Up date--

I did get the job offer today. . . .I have to make a decision by tomorrow. After my drive my on Sunday I am concerned about safety. School does not start till thursday but they are going to let me see the campus tomorrow and the room. It is a brand new program in an inner city school.

I am going to leave early tomorrow morning to see how long the commute is in the morning with LA traffic. I am going to wait till just about when I would leave with school getting out to see the commute also.

The distance is livable but traffic is a nightmare --- we shall see. I am excited to check it out and I know this trip will help me make the best decision. I am going to drive through the community to get a better idea.

I have really given this LOTS of thought.

Thanks for your support

:hugs::hugs:

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2012

Congrats on the offer!

20. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Aug 27, 2012

Congrats and good luck on your decision!