Oh My: Dilema!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Aug 25, 2012.

  1. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 25, 2012

    Many of you had follow my posts. . .This is a long post

    I do have a job and don't get me wrong I am entirely greatfull for the job I have.

    I am a single parent of a child with severe autism and I commute approximately 150 miles a day. I chose this because I needed to clear my credential and it has been a life changing experience. At the time it was the best decision for my child. Moving is not option.

    I had a really challenging position that I struggled with for 2 years I have had the most challenges and success in my life. It has sure been stressfull with gas, childcare, and so on. Last year I ended up missing days due to stress and ended up in the emergency room three times. It was not a good situation.

    I did get transferred to a new class and I am happier. I had over 15 interviews this summer. I know I will experience physical exhaustion at this points year but in terms of teaching stress in the position it should be less stressful.

    We were back wed and thursday. One of my co-teachers in my new classroom with many years experience has encourage me to keep looking. He felt I had valid reasons to break my contract. I stopped looking and am already to do the best I can and am well aware of what am getting myself into.

    I received two phone calls today for last minute interviews 30 miles one way. I was honest to both districts and asked if they would like me still come in. They were both understanding. I stopped applying mid-july.

    The first interview I did not get. Walking out of the first one I received a call for a interview somewhere else being close by I went.

    They are well aware I am in a contract and the know the length of my commute --not all the other stuff. The special education director will be checking references monday and I fully expect a job offer. They want me to ascertain how long it will take to exit my contract.

    I hate to break a contract and it scares me. I do know it is in the best interest of my son that I am closer to home. During the school year with my long commute the time to work on important skills and bond is very limited. I cherish every summer. He is only getting older.

    The benefits is that the millage is way closer. I will get a little more traffic. I will get to start a brand new program adult transition. I will be closer to home. My son---I will see more of every day and maybe that will him with deficits because of autism.

    The risks: job uncertainity
    Is there really job security these days
    new school/new program
    I hate change even when things are not the best. . . .

    Only I can decide my intuition tells me to let things play out. I know all to well offers can fall threw. At this point I need to let go and trust.

    Its very uncertain but with time it will all come together. what is meant to be will happen --- part of me wants to make it go away but risks and change is scary but a neccessary part of life,

    :thanks::thanks::thanks:
     
  2.  
  3. Linguist92021

    Linguist92021 Phenom

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    4,960
    Likes Received:
    1,150

    Aug 25, 2012

    Based on what you wrote it seems that you are ready for a change, and it definitely makes sense. You have to take care of yourself and your family first, no one should expect you to sacrifice for a job, even if it's teaching.
    I think if you get the job offer, you should be able to get out of your contract, hopefully they'd be more understanding.

    You kinda sound like me: in decisions like this, you have to trust your intuition, and trust that things will happen for a reason and will work out. I would probably take a definite job offer as a sign to go for it.
     
  4. mrachelle87

    mrachelle87 Fanatic

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    Messages:
    2,815
    Likes Received:
    53

    Aug 25, 2012

    Good luck.
     
  5. JustMe

    JustMe Virtuoso

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Messages:
    7,946
    Likes Received:
    3

    Aug 25, 2012

    How old is your son? If he is of school age, does he come with you to your current school?
     
  6. Mathemagician

    Mathemagician Groupie

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,372
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 25, 2012

    As someone who wouldn't do a 150 mile commute for DOUBLE what I make now, I definitely think it is a strong consideration. Question: Are they calling your current district as a reference?
     
  7. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 25, 2012

    I work high school and he is 10 years old. He goes to school near home and childcare after school. I leave at 5:30am and pick him up at 5:00pm during the school year.
     
  8. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 25, 2012

    They are going to call Monday. I called and spoke to my special education director earlier today.
     
  9. TXspedteach

    TXspedteach Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2011
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 25, 2012

    Good luck to you! Do what is best for you and your son! I also have a 10 year-old son with moderate to sever autism. My husband has had to go part-time at his job to care for him as daycare options are limited for after school. This is my first year teaching Kindergarten, and the transition has been difficult! Please feel free to message me if you need any support or to vent!:)
     
  10. SCTeachInTX

    SCTeachInTX Fanatic

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    Messages:
    2,972
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 25, 2012

    It is a hard decision, but ultimately you must do what is right for your child. Take the job if they offer it! Do let your current school know that you may be leaving. They will understand your concerns and let you out of your contract.
     
  11. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Aug 25, 2012

    You have to do what is best for you and your son. I think this new job would help out a lot! I don't see how you've commuted every day for 2 years 150 miles!
     
  12. mopar

    mopar Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2010
    Messages:
    10,924
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 25, 2012

    Good luck!
     
  13. catnfiddle

    catnfiddle Moderator

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Messages:
    8,453
    Likes Received:
    1,592

    Aug 26, 2012

    Keep us in the loop. We're here for you!
     
  14. Rainbowbird

    Rainbowbird Groupie

    Joined:
    May 6, 2011
    Messages:
    1,359
    Likes Received:
    22

    Aug 26, 2012

    Give your circumstances, I would def. take the other job if offered. I think your district would understand. Your son's needs take precedence and you have been doing an unbelievable commute that would tax anyone's resources, let alone someone with a special needs child. Good luck and I hope it works out!
     
  15. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 26, 2012

    I drove by the new school and the only BIG issue is that it is in the ghetto. Totally heartbreaking for me. I feel like potential safety issues might negate the long drive. I just want to cry.
     
  16. Caesar753

    Caesar753 Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    14,596
    Likes Received:
    2,702

    Aug 26, 2012

    My school is in the rough part of an already-rough city. Inside the school, however, I have always felt safe. Don't dismiss this opportunity until you do more research and get a real feel for the school.
     
  17. catnfiddle

    catnfiddle Moderator

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Messages:
    8,453
    Likes Received:
    1,592

    Aug 26, 2012

    :yeahthat:

    As long as you don't leave your expensive stuff on your dashboard, you're fine. Heck, that's true even in the safest suburb. In the meantime, there are nearby kids who could use a little warmth and education.
     
  18. anewstart101

    anewstart101 Cohort

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    Messages:
    667
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 27, 2012

    Up date--

    I did get the job offer today. . . .I have to make a decision by tomorrow. After my drive my on Sunday I am concerned about safety. School does not start till thursday but they are going to let me see the campus tomorrow and the room. It is a brand new program in an inner city school.

    I am going to leave early tomorrow morning to see how long the commute is in the morning with LA traffic. I am going to wait till just about when I would leave with school getting out to see the commute also.

    The distance is livable but traffic is a nightmare --- we shall see. I am excited to check it out and I know this trip will help me make the best decision. I am going to drive through the community to get a better idea.

    I have really given this LOTS of thought.

    Thanks for your support

    :hugs::hugs:
     
  19. smalltowngal

    smalltowngal Multitudinous

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2007
    Messages:
    17,362
    Likes Received:
    46

    Aug 27, 2012

    Congrats on the offer!
     
  20. JamieB11

    JamieB11 Companion

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2012
    Messages:
    166
    Likes Received:
    0

    Aug 27, 2012

    Congrats and good luck on your decision!
     

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. ally06
Total: 254 (members: 2, guests: 233, robots: 19)
test